New Striker

rodmac

Not sure what anyone else thought, but I reckoned we missed Craig at certain points on friday night. Some of these crosses coming in were begging to be headed in by a big front man on Friday night. So I hope Archie still has one more player to sign in that mould.

Totally agree that we need one more player - and that is the best striker we can afford. The rest of the team looks great.

Doolan put in a great shift but never really looked close to scoring on Friday and there will be plenty more days like that. Baird could be OK, perhaps mainly as a sub, but I can't see either of them scoring 15 goals this season (very happy to be proved wrong of course). We've got just under a month to find someone who can, the sooner the better.

Someone that plays like Craig but with more of an aerial threat. I'm just not sure who or where we find this guy. I know Mukendi has stated he's not that type of player but if he's good in the air we may be better to go with who we've got. What's left of the budget might be better kept in reserve for lengthening existing contracts or used in January if our loan signings are leaving.

I don't think Doolan did much wrong on Friday but we didn't create much. A good creative attacking midfielder would be more important; I'm sure Doolan will convert chances if they're created.

We are overrun with midfielders and I think Fraser, Forbes and Craigen have more than enough creativety to get us through the season. We are short (in more ways than one) in the striking department!!

It's easy to forget that most of our goals last season came from midfield, and one in which Erskine had essentially a free role. We were never *really* playing a genuine 1 up-front because he and Lawless were virtually always right behind Doolan. On Friday that wasn't the case, and we were really relying on late runs into the box from Lawless and Bannigan, relying also on more of our threat coming explicitly from crosses from the wings (which aren't quite up to standard yet) rather than cutting back in through the middle.

There may come a point where Archie has to consider sacrificing a very solid (but largely defensively set-up) midfield for a second striker to provide Doolan with some "on the shoulder" support.

Because it is not all up to midfielders to create. Look at Utd for example, almost all their chances were created by Goodwillie for himself. Strikers need to take responsibility in the SPL, chances don't just fall like they do in the lower leagues.

Goodwillie is not a big target man. He is a player that runs at the defence and puts them on the back foot.

If we're so creative then why did we not once create a good chance through the middle against a poor United defence on Friday?

Give us a break.....dont pick one game and say players like Craigen, Forbes and Fraser arent creative. We have Doolan and Baird as our only out and out strikers. Elliot isnt and Mukendi says he isnt. So you are happy to run till January with that???

Baird forced a great save from the DABs keeper with a decent header in the second half. He also screwed a shot wide of the postvwhen put through. Dools came close with his napper twice in the first half too.

At times the front men had to hold up the ball or shift wide to create space and time for reinforcements to get forward.

I tend to agree that the no. 9 could do with a closer bit of support. Once things settle maybe Welsh can play a bit more of an attacking role a la Albert Craig?

Both are decent in the air and Archibald seems to prefer a mobile forward rather than a big target man type. Another loan or another signing from the continent may be our best options?

Will be good to see if we can grab a few goals on Tuesday.

Quality strikers being ten a penny and there's so many just kicking about looking for clubs right now ...

Not just that we're wanting a special type of quality striker. Quantity wise I doubt we're short of forwards and we can presumably recall McGuigan so I don't think Archie will just bring in someone to make up the numbers. He'll have to be good and not similar to what we already have.