Chris Erskine

DUFCFAN

I doubt you'll have any trouble beating them at the moment ... I'm not too clear on what exactly the Houston situation was, would you have preferred he stayed? How do you think Paton's doing?

All in all we ended up with the best possible deal I think; a true Thistle legend in charge of us who could rise to Messiah status if he continues in the same vein. It's lose-lose for United however - if McNamara does well he'll scamper off at the first tempting 'bigger' club (*cough* Celtic *cough*), or it could be w rough old time if he doesn't.

If Ratnamara continues his current form for much longer I doubt Celtic will want him.

I think when he came to Thistle we had nobody like him in the team and we could see his potential as he was always capable of a moment of magic in a game. the last 2 seasons for us he was much more consistent and the amount of goals he created and scored was unreal. With him going to United the fans there are probably expecting the finished article and he is compared to GMS as he plays in a similar position, but it'll take a bit of time, it sounds weird but seeing the highlights tonight he just didn't look comfortable in the United strip. he can come back and warm our bench anytime he wants though!

I doubt you'll have any trouble beating them at the moment ... I'm not too clear on what exactly the Houston situation was, would you have preferred he stayed? How do you think Paton's doing?

Houston's time with us had simply run it's course. Houstie done a lot for us and I'll always be grateful for that but he completely lost interest by the end, Hardly ever took training, lost the dressing room and his relationship with Stephen Thompson was sour to say the least, all parties need a change. Houston's biggest problem was his ego and it got the better of him in the end, he expected to waltz into a job down south and is now spending his Saturday's doing commentary for the 'tic games on sportsound.

Can't honestly say I've seen enough of Paton so far to comment, looked tidy enough in pre-season though.

Edited by DUFCFAN

Houston's biggest problem was his ego and it got the better of him in the end, he expected to waltz into a job down south and is now spending his Saturday's doing commentary for the 'tic games on sportsound.

Selective quoting, but it might be out of the frying pan.... with this . Jackie's quite a fan of himself.

I've always been a big Chris Erskine fan, a more stereotypical Thistle player, I hadn't seen since Dennis McQuade. Capable of flashes of brilliance, followed by complete ineptitude or vice-versa. Last season was probably Chris's best wearing the red and yellow. If the United fans support and encourage him, it'll prove a worthwhile investment. If they don't realise the quality they have, then as a way of showing there are no hard feelings between the clubs, I'm sure that for a nominal fee we'd agree to take him off your hands. Seriously, I rate Erskine as one of the best and certainly the most skillful players,that Thistle have had in the thirty odd years I've been going along to Firhill.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

A lot of re-writing of history in this thread. There were still fans booing him and having a go at him last season as there have been since he arrived.

He's not even played 2 competitive games for Dundee United, he was playing in the juniors a few years ago. He doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, when it comes off you'll be amazed, but when it goes wrong he can look a bit daft. He is a great player and as has already been said he never hides, even if he makes a few mistakes in a row and the team are playing badly he will still be looking for the ball.

I like what you all have to say about Erskine, but he really needs to show some quality, quickly, our fans won't show him the patience he got with Partick, you obviously knew he had that bit of magic to him whereas he's an unknown quantity to most of our support so may be written off quickly. What is his best position though? Behind the striker? Left winger?

Regarding Jackie, I'll give him his due in that he certainly hasn't shown much of an ego yet, he seem's fairly modest and humble in his interviews, worried that he only talks a good game though.

Like many others I was gutted to lose Chris Erskine , he can be totally frustrating to watch as often nothing would come off but the lad keeps on trying and then suddenly there is a flash of genius and he's scores or has created the winning goal and that one move is worth the admission money alone.

Just give him time and he will come good

Chris' value is in the fact that he is an end product player-unlike Gary 'fulla tricks' MacKay Steven. Last season he scored many absolutely crucial goals, often from nothing. He also set up a number of very important goals. I also admired the way he left Thistle after the news of his move broke. A great player and a decent lad.

We seemed to develop a system that suited Erskine to a T. Technically a wide player/winger, he had freedom to drift in and become a second striker. Last season he often swapped positions with Lawless during a game (who also had freedom to come inside and scored a good number of goals for us) the movement of the front three often causing confusion to the opposition. Whereas GMS is an out and out winger - it's a mistake to think of them as being the same kind of player.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I like what you all have to say about Erskine, but he really needs to show some quality, quickly, our fans won't show him the patience he got with Partick, you obviously knew he had that bit of magic to him whereas he's an unknown quantity to most of our support so may be written off quickly. What is his best position though? Behind the striker? Left winger?

Regarding Jackie, I'll give him his due in that he certainly hasn't shown much of an ego yet, he seem's fairly modest and humble in his interviews, worried that he only talks a good game though.

Technically he was on the left of a front 3 but he isn't a winger who hogs the touchline, he will pop up behind the striker where there are spaces and he will make runs all over the shop. Turning to run at defenders just into the opposition half is where he can do things that will leave you in awe, have runners either side of him and a striker trying to get in off the last defender's shoulder.

McNamara has a great ability to appear like he is not showing an ego but you'll soon realise that he is massively self-important. He loves to tell you how humble he is and how he is the greatest guy who you will ever meet. Actions speak louder than words, you shouldn't have to tell people you aren't a fud, the fact he does this every time he appears in front of a microphone is a pretty good indication he is a complete fud. He's also tactically inept and unable to win away from home. How long a contract did you give him?

and therein lies your problem. you lot expect him to be messi or ronaldo straight away. well, he is messi and ronaldo, but better, but only where given that free role as explained already.

as for judas ratnamara, he has two faces ..... the public face of humble, gentley spoken, appearing duller than dishwater. the other face as you WILL find out to your (financial) cost is he is a money grabbing moralless snake who will take you to the cleaners. he has history and previous, but has his bumchums in the media who will help avoid the spotlight being shone on his past, and make him always out to be the good guy, innocent and who is in football for the love of it and not for the money.

but too late for your mob now, you should have taken shitty shoes pressley, but you didn't, and we are the better off club in the managerial and coaching staff stakes now, so thanks :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Erskine will come good, even if he does just end up being an impact player from the bench.

Watched the highlights of the Dundee utd game and to be honest didn't look like any of their players had a good game ( another big miss from goodwillie). Erskine did give the ball away but it's two games in for a guy at a new club time is needed for him to settle and understand how his team mates play. He sent a brilliant first time ball for goodwillie.

Now Paton is another matter. When he went out injured last year I actually thought we were better and didn't miss him. Archie didn't want to match his wages and quite right. Would say Kerr and osbounre are far better players. In the highlights Paton gave the ball away so many times and when he chased back was made to look a fool. Like a small boy among men. Paton reach his peak at the first division while guys like bannigan and welsh have the potential to step up a gear as they have shown in the opening 2 games.

Incidentally, as much as supporters like me got behind Erskine there was a probably equal number, in terms of noise at any rate, of Jag's fans whose raison d'etre speared to be to boo him or criticise him ad nauseum. As the player admitted to being a confidence player, the logic of the anti-Erskineista's always appeared self defeating to me.

actually, we have all been on the windup.

the Bridge is shit, never a footballer, Judas is a worldclass manager and tactical genius. We were gutted to lose Petted lip Paton and Ratnamara, but happy to finally see the back of Erskine ..... we were getting worried we would never see the back of him.

tell you what, to show there's absolutely no hard feelings between the clubs, we will take back the Bridge solely to take the dud off your hands, nice luvvies that we are ..... but accept as much as we want Petted lip Paton and Judas to return, they are better served staying at tannadice, working with other superstars who play in tangerine, the two of them are too good for thistle.

• Like 1

Can't really add much else to what has already been said about Erskine other than that he's a perfect Partick Thistle player - completely incompetent one minute and utterly sublime the next; his eccentricity is what makes him the player he is. That being said, the instances of incompetence were few and far between last year and I'd go as far to say that it was possibly the best individual season that I've seen in my time.

Patience however isn't something that football fans are renowned for and without it, United will never see the best of Erskine. I entirely agree with the doubts over whether McNamara knows how to utilise him to the greatest effect; I recall he played Erskine on the right and Cairney on the left in his first season and it was blatantly obvious to everyone, bar the manager, that it was completely ineffective. To be honest, I was quite surprised that he came back for him, not due to any lack of talent but more that he didn't particularly strike me as one of his "favourites". He is also unfortunate that United have a player of Mackay-Steven's quality in his position which will limit his playing time in his preferred role and also result in supporters drawing unfair comparisons between the two.

I dearly hope he succeeds, apart from in fixtures against us, but I would be delighted if he returned to Firhill in the not-too-distant future.

Now Paton is another matter. When he went out injured last year I actually thought we were better and didn't miss him. Archie didn't want to match his wages and quite right. Would say Kerr and osbounre are far better players. In the highlights Paton gave the ball away so many times and when he chased back was made to look a fool. Like a small boy among men. Paton reach his peak at the first division while guys like bannigan and welsh have the potential to step up a gear as they have shown in the opening 2 games.

I sincerely hope that Kerr isn't far better than Paton, if he is we are in real trouble. Mark Kerr is absolute murder, as fans of all of his previous clubs will attest to. There is a reason he is almost unanimously despised by The Sheep, The Fun and ourselves. He is absolutely one of the most clueless panic merchants to ever pull on a jersey at Tannadice, cannot do the basics whatsoever. I was genuinely surprised when you took a punt on him this summer as he is dire in every sense of the word.

Can't really add much else to what has already been said about Erskine other than that he's a perfect Partick Thistle player - completely incompetent one minute and utterly sublime the next; his eccentricity is what makes him the player he is.

Although there's absolutely no logic in it I was thinking along similar lines - there are players (and managers) and clubs who complement each other to the extent that the chemistry just isn't there when they go elsewhere. Erskine might fall into this category. Then again, given his unpredictability he might not!

I've always been a big Chris Erskine fan, a more stereotypical Thistle player, I hadn't seen since Dennis McQuade. Capable of flashes of brilliance, followed by complete ineptitude or vice-versa. Last season was probably Chris's best wearing the red and yellow. If the United fans support and encourage him, it'll prove a worthwhile investment.

Despite how good some people think Erskine is, it was only really last season that the doubters were silenced, he'd always had as many people unsure of him or booing him as he did people who rated him. He is definitely a bit hit and miss but he's improved a hell of a lot in the time he was at Firhill. But, it remains to be seen if he can do it at a higher level.