Just In (Ptfc - Afc)

The Cup

Bit of a reality check out there today. Aberdeen came out the blocks like a whippet and went on to dominate us pretty much from start to finish. They were a yard faster, more physical and passed the ball better than us. We never really got going and I think this is just a reminder of where we are and how tough this season is going to be.

I hope this game will be a good lesson for some of the younger lads and I'm sure Archie will be having a few choice words with a few of them as there were some pretty poor performances out there today. I though Baird was again ineffectual. I don't doubt his workrate but there has got to be question marks over his positioning and end product. Really missed Conrad as well. The back line was all over the shop and the Conrad/Muirhead partnership is obviously better at communicating than the Gabby/Muirhead one. Gabby was awful and cost us at least one of the goals...

On a positive note, Scott Fox pulled off some quite incredible saves today. Bring on Killie!

• Like 1

Couldn't be at the game. Has the booing started yet?

No booing at all. We were horsed today by a team that were more powerful and knew how to get the victory. Won't be the last time we get well beaten this season, I think some people have gotten a bit carried away so far - top six, top three, etc, etc.

At least we didn't give up and tried to play our style of football, as unsuccessful as it was today.

• Like 4

Totally out muscled in every area of the park today.A lot of questions for Archie after that one.Our central backs have struggled against big strong forwards all season and need to be far more physical against them.Gabs was far too lacadasical throughout and at fault for at least one of the goals.Have to remember it's his first SPL start though so lets not go overboard in critisim.Aberdeen did their homework and snuffed us out but when our full backs did get to the bye line our crossing was abysmal.Wouldn't criticise the lack of effort from us ,Afc just looked the better team today.

What are we going to do about the striker position? Baird posed absolutley no goal threat whatsoever today.We simply can't continue the season like this.Maybe time even to try Elliot through the middle? When teams stop us playing our natrual game we've not got a plan B either.

Third goal went through Foxy's legs but he, and IMHO, Higginbotham were our best two on a bad day.

Wost thing is that all three Aberdeen goals were avoidable.

Ooft that was not pretty.

Aberdeen were bigger, stronger, faster, first to almost every ball. Frankly we were not at the races. Not many pass marks and way too many passengers.

Can someone please tell me what John Baird brings to the team? Anytime the defender is first for the ball (which is fairly often) he stops, puts his hands up and claims to the ref. 9 times out of 10 the defender runs away with the ball. On top of that, no goal threat at all.

We will get games like today this year, hopefully not too many.

Onwards and upwards, bring on Killie.

Ooft that was not pretty.

Aberdeen were bigger, stronger, faster, first to almost every ball. Frankly we were not at the races. Not many pass marks and way too many passengers.

Can someone please tell me what John Baird brings to the team? Anytime the defender is first for the ball (which is fairly often) he stops, puts his hands up and claims to the ref. 9 times out of 10 the defender runs away with the ball. On top of that, no goal threat at all.

We will get games like today this year, hopefully not too many.

Onwards and upwards, bring on Killie.

I actually hate the guy. He is not a good player, he's a wee diving shite and he's constantly moaning. He's the worst striker we've had at the club since Willie Callaghan.

Hopefully Balatoni or McMillan will be back for the Killie game and Piccolo can spend a few more games in the reserves.

Where to start? Out played and out muscled the whole first half. Second half Aberdeen played at half pace and let us have the ball as they knew we wouldn't do anything. Front to back Aberdeen were better, stronger, faster, more organised, more lively and what is most concerning is they seemed to want it more. McInnes has done his homework and put out a team that completely counter-played our style. What is also bad, is that we weren't simply outplayed by a better team - we made mistakes continually.

Our whole back four let us down. Think McMillan will have a valid shout to replace O'Donnell. Piccolo seemed uninterested and lacking any fight - strange when he is trying to prove his worth. Muirhead caught out of position and was beaten to most balls (Picollo won more in the air than Muirhead). Certainly did not look a good partnership. Sinclair didn't really do much right or much wrong.

Bannigan was poor - I think a combination of Fraser Welsh or Osbourne should start against Kilmarknock. Craigen tried hard and fought well, Lawless was invisible (another performance like that and he'll be desperate for a two year deal with us). Baird, again, tried hard. Thankless task with no service but I can't see him scoring many. Doolan came on and didn't touch the ball. Neither are good enough - we are crying out for a decent striker.

Based on todays game, Higginbotham is the only player that gets pass marks - I thought he was outstanding in a poor team today. Fox had a couple of great saves but the first and third goals were not unstoppable. Forbes came into the game near the end and looked decent.

Really poor and that isn't just because we lost. Need to put this behind us and move on to the Kilmarnock game. First real taste of the harshness of the Premiership. Six games in and the first time we have been the poorer team isn't so bad when you think about it.

I wouldn't bother with Dools or Baird - they won't score. I'd give Higginbotham a go up front, or Mukendi or Elliott, or try something unusual like Forbes or Craigen. Just anything else.

Aberdeen's Zola was a useless footballer but caused us all sorts of problems and although I heard fans slag him off - I think he made the difference today. Somebody to push about our defence and make them nervous - Aberdeen's back two had a strole in the park today. Higginbotham had the number 2 in his back pocket but their centre backs had enough time and space to help him out. A real lesson today - credit to Aberdeen who were exceptionally professional in going about their business.

• Like 1

Well where to begin after that.

Firstly well done to Aberdeen, best team by a mile that we have faced so far. Big, strong tactically sound and just a well drilled team.

Starting at the back, Gabriel just had a nightmare plain and simple, second to everything and looked like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights. However as ppl have said this was his first chance in the league but looks like back to the bench for him.

Our midfield just didn't turn up today, every one of them poor in the engine room but I was surprised when welshs number came up, also did anyone notice the frustrated punch of the dugout.

Special mention to young higginbotham. Thought he played well today kept going and was really the only one who looked like doing anything.

Now a special mention for Baird. Really folks how this guy has achieved a career in professional football is beyond me. Brings absolutely nothing to the team and his attitude seems to be a bit suspect. The constant huffing when things aren't going his way is ridiculous and I really don't c him scoring a single goal.

Good shout from previous poster about Elliot through the middle. What does the guy have to do to get a chance he changed the game vs Cowdenbeath.

I think Archie will learn from this and this was a reality check. Yes we are a good team but we still have a long way to go. Aldo worth mentioning that was a depleted dons 11 so kinda puts things into perspective. Glad there wasn't any booing.

On that note who was the tosser in the north end who spent the entire second half berating Sinclair very loudly. Total idiot.

Aberdeen did their homework and pressed us high up, which meant we resorted to high balls to Baird and Lawless who were against big defenders. No cutting edge or good distribution from wide men. We couldn't play through the middle effectively until Forbes came on. Big Oz played ok. A bad day at work. Don't panic yet but we need to work out a plan B against teams who now how to play us.

• Like 2

The most noticeable thing for me today, was just how much bigger their players were. Zola and Magennis made Muirhead and Piccolo look skinny. Also, Aberdeen just didn't give us time on the ball.

We need to just keep doing he business against teams that are likely to be around us - The 2 saints, Killie and Ross County and maybe Hibs and Hearts. Lets not get too worried about results agains the others this season.

• Like 1

I'd like to add that people have their minds made up about Baird before the game started. Anything other than a goal from him, would lead to him getting abuse. He did every bit as much as Doolan could or would have done in this game.

He actually began the game OK and I had hope it would come good for him but when things weren't going his way rather than work hard and try to get involved he started about moaning to ref and throwing his arms up in the air when he was easily dispossessed of the ball.

His attitude stinks. No wonder Dundee fans weren't bothered with him leaving.

Doolan could hardly change the game when Aberdeen were so entrenched.

I would rather Mukendi, if he is still here, gets a place ahead of Baird.

I've been supportive of everyone in their step up so far this season but Bairds had his fair few chances now. He didn't quite cut it at Dens and he isn't quite doing it for us at the moment. He looks frustrated, devoid of confidence and at times desperate. I'm not jumping to conclusions or choosing a scapegoat, he's just not lioked up to it yet. I'd rather see Doolan/Elliott get a proper run with Higgo up front.

Apart from lack of cutting edge today, there's nothing to worry about yet. Aberdeen and Motherwell are the only sides to trouble us so far and you'd probably expect both to finish above us in the top 4 anyway.

Games against St Mirren, Killie, County and Hearts are going to be much more important.

A home humping has been a rare occurrence over the last 3 years. A win next week, all will be forgotten

Ah bugger. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt frustration like that after leaving Firhill. The only positive I can take out of that is the result will serve as a lesson to both the players and the management staff. No need to worry whatsoever, we will still avoid the play-offs by a distance, but we will need to start converting at home.

Thought we set up all wrong today. I’ve been so unimpressed with Baird this season. It doesn’t help that he is a small lone striker, but over the last few games he has had chances, and doesn’t convert. His passing and holding up play is a shadow of what Doolan is capable of, and his persistent attempts to go down under very little contact is absolutely infuriating. He’s not light-weight contrary to his size, so the fact he feels the need to go down with the slightest knock is very annoying indeed. Doolan needs to start next week without a doubt.

Midfield was not creative enough. The Dons did well stifling our wing-backs creativity, stopping ATS and O’Donnell bursting down the line (although O’Donnell’s final ball still needs work). With that in mind we should have been looking to create through the middle, but ultimately led to playing tippy-tappy football at the edge of the box. Higgy did impress me however, and looks a great addition to the side.

Finally the back line today was very poor. Last season we would have got away with the slack play, but not this year. All three goals could have been avoided. The first should not have been allowed to bounce and be put back into the box, the second was slack play at the back, and the third was poor from Piccolo who should never have let the Dons player get down the by-line, past him, and then been allowed to find the net.

Lessons need to be learned from today. Aberdeen were good, and our overall display didn’t merit being humped 3-0, but we didn’t create or defend as well as we should at this level, and that made the difference today.

Oh dear. At least the weather was nice...

When teams press us and out muscle us, hoofing the ball up to Baird is not the solution. He had a shocker but this was amplified by the fact that the rest of the team was pretending he was Jan Koller. If this is our 'plan B' in such circumstances we should never have released Craig.

Second, our defence was all over the shop. Gabriel thinks he's David Luiz, which he really isn't. He's more catalogue model than central defender at the moment. Conrad was sorely missed. Even SOD and AST looked lost.

Third. This will be unpopular but I'm sorry, Craigen isn't ready yet IMO. He has buckets of potential but goes missing far too often.

But let's finish on a positive. Higgy was incredible. Skill, balance, composure, fight - he has it all. What a player.

• Like 1