Why A Jags Fan?

Chicob

My father was a rangers fan til he was 18 but thankfully decided he hated the bigotry he was witnessing and stopped going to football. When i came along he made a conscious decision to keep me away from the OF and took me to firhill. This continued until I was totally sold then he stopped going as his mission was accomplished.I continued going by myself throughout my teens and adulthood as most of my mates were Celtic fans. I then indoctrinated my own kids but this time it was from the heart. They too got hooked and now as adults we go for a beer before/after the games. I am forever indebted to my da for making that decision and just wondered how others got the jags in their blood?

• Like 1

Raised as a Catholic, all my schoolmates were Sellic fans and all my footballing mates were h*ns and I decided when I was about 9,just to be different,I would support my local team as I lived in Cowcaddens.

So glad I made that decision which was a wee step on my way to Atheism.After all if there was a God,Thistle would win the European Cup every year instead of making us wait until 2016.

• Like 1

My father was a rangers fan til he was 18 but thankfully decided he hated the bigotry he was witnessing and stopped going to football. When i came along he made a conscious decision to keep me away from the OF and took me to firhill. This continued until I was totally sold then he stopped going as his mission was accomplished.I continued going by myself throughout my teens and adulthood as most of my mates were Celtic fans. I then indoctrinated my own kids but this time it was from the heart. They too got hooked and now as adults we go for a beer before/after the games. I am forever indebted to my da for making that decision and just wondered how others got the jags in their blood?

Grew up in Kelvindale. A good education at Kelvindale Primary and Cleveden Secondary opened my eyes. Yeah, there was pressure to go with the crowd and support the OF, but I never buckled, never wavered.

Remember a massive row in the the playground at Kelvindale Primary when I was about 7. Whole place seemed to be either Rangers or Thistle. Never looked back.

Local team I suppose?

And what a local team it is to have :happy2:

My Dad was a Rangers fan who regularly went to matches for about 25 years. When I started getting into football he didn't want me involved in all of the OF nonsense and decided to pick a new team for us to support. He went to a Queens Park, St Mirren, Motherwell and Thistle game and then decided on Thistle. And so, a Jag was born.

I'm still not sure why my Dad became a Thistle fan as most of his family are Rangers supporters. However, he followed the Jags mainly in the 50's and saw them lose three Cup Finals. His last game was the League Cup Final in 71. However, he didn't go much in the 60's and it was really my older brothers that ignited my love of the Jags. So cheers to them and him!

• Like 1

Some family are Thistle, some are Celtic, I was brought up by my mum and she took me to Firhill - Bertie auld era and that was it. I ended up in ibrox a few times in the late 70's and early 80's as all my mate's were rangers fans and their dad's took us, quite liked seeing the football there at the time but it was always just to see some Fitba, as soon as I could pick my own game it was Firhill. Glad I did, even now I've tried to let my kids pick their own team and my son had no colours till this year when he said he wanted a thistle scarf. He's 5. Very happy and proud of him tho I know I've obviously influenced him via listening to radio and tv reports, he only went to games this season after he said he wanted to go. Hopefully a jaggo for life.

Dad born in Partick, always a Jag, and took me from a young age. Didn't hurt that my 3rd game was the League Cup final 1971.

My father was a Partick man as well. A sort of a family dynasty for me. Grandfather started it pre First World War. My dad and my 3 uncles supported them. Me and my brother support them. Although as a youngster I was brought up near Edinburgh and my brother was a Jambo for a while before he saw the light! Think it was after Hearts 0 Hibs 7. Hahaha!!

My Granda was from Raebury street (Held a season ticket from around 1948), my Dad was born there and followed my Granda's lead, so was natural for me to follow after I done my infant rebellion of following the blue arse cheek, and for 30 years now I haven't looked back, my Dad quite rightly refused to take me to any games other than Thistle which he had stopped going to due to cash being tight when me and my brother were kids, so his 1st game in over 8 years was my 1st ever Jags game.

• Like 1

My Granda was from Raebury street (Held a season ticket from around 1948), my Dad was born there and followed my Granda's lead, so was natural for me to follow after I done my infant rebellion of following the blue arse cheek, and for 30 years now I haven't looked back, my Dad quite rightly refused to take me to any games other than Thistle which he had stopped going to due to cash being tight when me and my brother were kids, so his 1st game in over 8 years was my 1st ever Jags game.

Taken by my Dad when I was three and left on the wall next to the old shed and nearly froze to death,however as that

was over 55 years ago and I am still going something must have clicked!!By the way he is still going with me now taking him.

I came to Glasgow in 1977 and one of my uni class was a Thistle fan and offered to take me to a game. i already knew about them of course, but one game was enough for me to become a fan. I brought my son to his first game - a 2-2 draw with Hibs, with Mickey Weir coming on as a sub and getting sent off soon after. That was also enough for him to become a Jag for life.

Brought up in bonawe st. ..taken to firhill when very young if my dad was working and couldn't go i would just hang around at the turnstiles and plead '' gonnae lift me over mister''...no problem! what crowds we used to get in those days remember getting nearly crushed to death on the way out of firhill up against the old tote payout windows heading to the exit.Dad was in the navy during the war but remember him telling me that when McKennan and McSpadyen got back to the team post war then we would have some team then ....but tho' they returned i think the spark they once had was gone and I was busy trying to re-educate him onthe great players we had playing at that time ,He still dreamt about his pre war heroes and said it wasn't the same and gradually gave up..

How many of you can remember Andy Kerr?.....wouldnt he be the boy to finish off all these chances that are going a begging every week .Nil desperandum..

My da came from Greenock originally, but soon started following the Jags when he moved to Maryhill, Kirkland Street, in the 1950s. He got me into the Thistle / anti-OF way of thinking from me being a wee wean.

My first outing was the midweek game at Firhill v the Tims in January 1966. I can truthfully say that after literally minutes of being in the ground, I was thoroughly and irreversibly hooked.

My old man wasn't interested in football but my best mate was a Jags fan (when I was about 7 - we lived in Carnarvon St) and his grandpa took us to a couple of games. Of course as we moved away from Glasgow I never went again for years but always thought of myself as Jags fan though to be honest I wasn't a real supporter.

I started work at 18 and worked near Charing X, often having to work Saturdays so would go up to Firhill occassionally to watch the odd game but it was really just for something to do in the afternoon before going back to work. Oddly enough I didn't get bitten by the bug till I went to college in Aberdeen. Flat mate was a mad Don supporter and dragged me along every week (yeah even to reserve games). They had a strong team then (Buchan, Young, Harper, Graham, Forrest, etc) and I caught the bug of being a real football fan.

When I got back to Glasgow I started to go to see the Jags on a regular basis and got hooked enough so that even when we went through bad spells I stuck with them (getting to see old firm supporters close up may have helped with that). Had a soft spot for Aberdeen for many years after that mind you.

I became a Jags fan last season and have supported the jags thru thick and thin ever since. In truth after last Saturday my heart's no longer in it and I'm seriously thinking of following the Accies. They've got a young first time manager that's guided his team to an unbeaten run in the league. What's more you can watch the game at New Douglas Park while queuing for a far superior pie.

Not getting beat, better pie. No brainer!

• Members

I became a Jags fan last season and have supported the jags thru thick and thin ever since. In truth after last Saturday my heart's no longer in it and I'm seriously thinking of following the Accies. They've got a young first time manager that's guided his team to an unbeaten run in the league. What's more you can watch the game at New Douglas Park while queuing for a far superior pie.

Not getting beat, better pie. No brainer!

I think that's what happened to that other guy that used to post on ptfc.net, Footyjag he was called!