Butters

Out of interest is anyone on here choosing to avoid this fixture and for what reason? e.g. Ticketing arrangements, Sunday lunchtime k.o. or just choosing to avoid OF games in general?

Cannot go (even though I have a ST) on Sundays or Mondays due to other commitments. The demands of TV make it likely that after 40 + years I'll probably not have a ST next season - assuming we're still in the top league of course !

You said that Celtic are much better than other teams, and that having Thistle supporters behind the goal would not give us any advantage (in spite of what representatives of the team have said in the past).

Basically, your position seems to be one of despair about the match before it has even started, and that there is little that Thistle can do to avoid an inevitable defeat, to the point that we shouldn't even consider using a perceived advantage (even if it is only perceived rather than real).

If that's wrong, then what is it exactly that you are saying?

Edited by Jaggernaut

You said that Celtic are much better than other teams, and that having Thistle supporters behind the goal would not give us any advantage (in spite of what representatives of the team have said in the past).

Basically, your position seems to be one of despair about the match before it has even started, and that there is little that Thistle can do to avoid an inevitable defeat, to the point that we shouldn't even consider using a perceived advantage (even if it is only perceived rather than real).

If that's wrong, then what is it exactly that you are saying?

It is totally wrong. I didn't say defeat was inevitable. I said I dont think that most Thistle supporters would expect us to win, irrespective of how many are there or where they are located. History has taught me that but I always go to these games in hope.

It is totally wrong. I didn't say defeat was inevitable. I said I dont think that most Thistle supporters would expect us to win, irrespective of how many are there or where they are located. History has taught me that but I always go to these games in hope.

Me too.

And if we beat them,..... then who'll really care where we were all sitting!

Don't know why you even bother supporting the team if that's your attitude lenziejag.

I don't actually think you believe what you're saying. I just think you're happy to use any reasoning you can think of to try and tow the party line and cosy up to the board.

What an embarrassment.

• Like 2

Don't know why you even bother supporting the team if that's your attitude lenziejag.

I don't actually think you believe what you're saying. I just think you're happy to use any reasoning you can think of to try and tow the party line and cosy up to the board.

What an embarrassment.

Not got a clue what you are on about. What attitude. Where in the posts have I towed the party line ?

Are you thinking that because I don't think having Thistle supporters in the NS will make a difference to the result, means that I support the board in moving the Thistle fans out ?

I have said in pretty much every thread on the subject that I don't agree with that and signed the online petition when that was put up. Just because I am being realistic about the outcome of the game,I don't see how that makes me an embarrassment. It makes you an embarrassment for just jumping on everything I post.

Have you jumped on all the other posters who don't think we will get anything out of the next 3 games. Take a hike!

• Like 1

Out of interest is anyone on here choosing to avoid this fixture and for what reason? e.g. Ticketing arrangements, Sunday lunchtime k.o. or just choosing to avoid OF games in general?

When a game is moved from Saturday afternoons I struggle to go. I have loads of other commitments in my life that I would have to give up to accommodate these shifts for TV. Not something I have any desire to do. (Couldn't make the Hibs game either).

I also stopped going to any Old Firm game in our last spell in the top league. While some folk may say the atmosphere is electric or passionate, I find the atmosphere better described as hatred, bile, bigoted, toxic and down right horrible. I came to a realisation that I have a choice, and therefore why would I or anyone in their right mind choose to put themselves in that environment.

So each to their own, it is just not for me.

• Like 2

What an embarrassment.

Is it possible for someone to disagree with you without you resorting to this sort of rubbish? That's the real embarrassment.

• Like 1

By giving Celtic whichever area of the ground they want, and by moving our own fans to accommodate the same ones who wrecked our ground 6 months ago, we obviously aren't looking to retain any home advantage, it's as if we aren't really thinking about the occasion in any sort of competitive context - we're just grateful for the big crowd and the TV pay day.

You think that won't affect the players? Think again. These guys aren't daft. If no one else at the club shows a desire to win the game then why should they bother? Why should the fans bother? That for me is one of the main reasons why we have so many jags fans giving the game a miss. It's nothing new, other established top flight clubs are the same. Their fans simply stay away when the OF come calling, meaning the players miss out on vital support and encouragement.

We could have been different, we could have gone against the grain. Instead we decided to fall in with the status quo.

Some of our fans are happy about that. That to me is an embarrassment.

I've stayed relatively quiet on this as I choose not to sit in the North Stand. As it now affects JH supporters as well, here's my take;

Although the Shed boys provide atmosphere and strong vocal backing, I'm not sure that's enough for the Board to leave things as they are for this game. It might be different if the Shed contingent continues to grow, but I don't think it has over the last few weeks and its possibly reaching its full potential. To ask the Board to ignore an extra £50,000 (a complete guess) in ticket revenue at this early stage in our SPFL season, isn't YET justifiable. The players should be 100% up for a game against Celtic at a packed Firhill, regardless of where the Shed boys are sitting.

If we are safe from relegation, the Shed numbers are considerably up and the Celtic fans prove that they can be trusted to behave this time, then we should review it come March when they visit again.

At the end of the day, we have a board who've adopted new ideas, listened (to some extent) to fans' groups and are clearly running a fairly tight ship. Yes the administrative cost cuts, amateurish ticketing arrangements and lack of respect for the Shed boys is frustrating but its all a learning curve and I'm sure we'll get there as as club, eventually.

I really hope there is a crowd close to Firhill's 10,887 capacity. I'm tired of these big games 'selling out' at one or two thousand short. The atmosphere would be electric with a 10,000 + crowd inside Firhill, regardless of where folk are sitting., 10,887

• Like 1

More rubbish. Thistle didn't choose the game to be televised and I don't think we get any TV money for this specific game.

Think it's you that's talking the rubbish here lenziejag - surprise surprise.

The TV money we get this season will dwarf any other source of income that we've had before. This is the reason why things like TAG, the DVD and and the centenary fund have been totally neglected. The board think we don't need the extra cash.

I've stayed relatively quiet on this as I choose not to sit in the North Stand. As it now affects JH supporters as well, here's my take;

Although the Shed boys provide atmosphere and strong vocal backing, I'm not sure that's enough for the Board to leave things as they are for this game. It might be different if the Shed contingent continues to grow, but I don't think it has over the last few weeks and its possibly reaching its full potential. To ask the Board to ignore an extra £50,000 (a complete guess) in ticket revenue at this early stage in our SPFL season, isn't YET justifiable. The players should be 100% up for a game against Celtic at a packed Firhill, regardless of where the Shed boys are sitting.

If we are safe from relegation, the Shed numbers are considerably up and the Celtic fans prove that they can be trusted to behave this time, then we should review it come March when they visit again.

At the end of the day, we have a board who've adopted new ideas, listened (to some extent) to fans' groups and are clearly running a fairly tight ship. Yes the administrative cost cuts, amateurish ticketing arrangements and lack of respect for the Shed boys is frustrating but its all a learning curve and I'm sure we'll get there as as club, eventually.

I really hope there is a crowd close to Firhill's 10,887 capacity. I'm tired of these big games 'selling out' at one or two thousand short. The atmosphere would be electric with a 10,000 + crowd inside Firhill, regardless of where folk are sitting., 10,887

How do you expect the shed contingent to grow if we are continuously shifted around so that the club can make an extra few quid?

The Kop didn't just become the kop over night. It took years, decades, to make that place what it was. Do you think that it would be the place it was today if they were moved everytime Man Utd. came calling?

There have been several people I've spoken to since the summer who've said that they won't be buying a season ticket for the north stand in the future because of this whole sorry episode. People want to know where they'll be sitting for the whole season. It's not really an unreasonable request when you are buying a season ticket.

Brodieboy, your submissive attitude towards Celtic is disappointing. Your figures are also highly questionable. Where are you getting this £50k figure from?

We as thistle fans, and Scottish Football fans, need to lose this attitude of pandering to the Old Firm. I don't want us to become like fans of other clubs - who stay away whenever the OF come calling. They do this because their clubs constantly bend over for the old firm.

The board need to realise that the Celtic fans will only provide income for as long as we are in the same division as them. What happens if we lose Archie to a bigger club and go down in 2 seasons time? No TV money, no Celtic money. Who will they be looking to for income then? The answer is, the same fans who they have totally disregarded in making this decision. So they would do well to make sure that those fans are kept on side and stop worrying about upsetting their pals in the east end.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 4

how is being moved once 'continuous'? be very specific with your answer.

If they do it for this game, it's pretty safe to say they will try and do it again for the game in March. Should we draw Rangers in the cup, I'd imagine it will happen then as well.

The precedent has been set and I think a lot of fans realise that.