Best And Worst Moments Following The Jags

The Cup

To be totally honest I was beginning to think the old memory was playing tricks on me, since I definetly thought I remembered such an incident, but didn't want to say so in case anyone thought I was making it up out of "bigotry".

Aside from the totally biased officials, what in retrospect still wrankles is that that was probably the year our name was on the cup, since I'm sure as ever you can be with Thistle that we would have beaten Hibs in the final. Was that not the year we pumped them senseless at Firhill?

What that game shows for me at any rate is that when your accused of exageratting the amount of help they've had over the years is that its not paranoia but the plain ad honest truth. No doubt we'll see this again next year if Sevco look like struggling in their quest to win promotion back to "their rightful place" in the top tier

The thing about that game was the fact it was not televised due to industrial action so there has never been the chance to look at that goal again, even though we know it was onside. As to the final didn't it take about three games to decide and each one, more toe-curlingly boring than the one before IIRC.

Most of us take the lows in our stride. Comes with the territory supporting the Jags and certainly the older you get the easier it becomes. The one exception to that rule (well with me anyway) is when you become aware that some of the players you've been watching making losing look easy aren't trying and/or are disinterested.Thus making a mockery of their.profession. That's something I can't shrug off.

So I guess the lowest I've felt, apart from the obvious times like Tannadice etc, has to be sometime during the Campbell era. Leaving a game after yet another defeat to some club that have never played or even had any aspiration to play in the top division, knowing fine well you'll be watching the same lot the following week is most painful.

As for the best moments the victory over Morton coming after the disappointment of the Cup Final (tho' I wasn't that upset myself) is well up there. Big crowd, kick off held up, and if we're all honest I'm sure, an air of apprehension. That to me was more of a cup final than the game that went before. Great night.

• Like 2

The thing about that game was the fact it was not televised due to industrial action so there has never been the chance to look at that goal again, even though we know it was onside. As to the final didn't it take about three games to decide and each one, more toe-curlingly boring than the one before IIRC.

I'm pretty sure that the h un linesman knew perfectly well that his cheating would not be seen on tv, and that made it easier for him to do his worst.

Most of us take the lows in our stride. Comes with the territory supporting the Jags and certainly the older you get the easier it becomes. The one exception to that rule (well with me anyway) is when you become aware that some of the players you've been watching making losing look easy aren't trying and/or are disinterested.Thus making a mockery of their.profession. That's something I can't shrug off.

So I guess the lowest I've felt, apart from the obvious times like Tannadice etc, has to be sometime during the Campbell era. Leaving a game after yet another defeat to some club that have never played or even had any aspiration to play in the top division, knowing fine well you'll be watching the same lot the following week is most painful.

As for the best moments the victory over Morton coming after the disappointment of the Cup Final (tho' I wasn't that upset myself) is well up there. Big crowd, kick off held up, and if we're all honest I'm sure, an air of apprehension. That to me was more of a cup final than the game that went before. Great night.

You've just got me in the mood for watching the highlights of that Morton game again (for the umpteenth time). :happy2:

Best: Celebrating promotion with a 0-0 at home to Forfar; Lindau's hat-trick at Stirling and more party time; the sheer relief of Peterhead; Paterson's goal to win the cup replay v Inverness; Andy Gibson's cup replay winner v Dundee; Shaw scoring twice to win at Parkhead; and Gerry Britton scoring to round off a 3-0 win over Rangers at Firhill.

Worst: The sheer pain of the Dundee United Playoff misery is only beaten by the utter depression felt in the early days of Save the Jags.

• Like 1

Worst:

Got to be a toss up between the Dundee United play off game at Tannadice and the Ayr United game at Firhill. Someone else mentioned the drive home after the Utd game and the funny thing is that is what I remember as the worst part. Sheer numbness. The Ayr game was a shambles from start to finish and was torture to watch.

Best:

Two came last season - Doolan's equaliser v Queen of the South was brilliant, even although we went on to lose the match on penalties and Christie's winner v Airdrie was incredible and the moment I knew we would win the league.

Others have mentioned beating Rangers 3-0 at Firhill which was great but I also remember as a youngster early eighties victories against them 4-3 at home and 2-0 away.

The Celtic victory at Hampden was a great performance and the Inverness midweek replay with Shaggy scoring on a soaking wet night was special. Peterhead, as many have mentioned is up there as well. Glasgow Cup victory (1981 I think?) with Iain Jardine scoring a wonder goal too.

However, best of them all for me was beating Celtic at Celtic Park on our first season back in the top league. The support we had that day was huge and the atmosphere we created will live with me forever. Would love to know how many Jags were there.

P.S. How come nobody has mentioned the Tennents Sixes?

Best: Celebrating promotion with a 0-0 at home to Forfar; Lindau's hat-trick at Stirling and more party time; the sheer relief of Peterhead; Paterson's goal to win the cup replay v Inverness; Andy Gibson's cup replay winner v Dundee; Shaw scoring twice to win at Parkhead; and Gerry Britton scoring to round off a 3-0 win over Rangers at Firhill.

Worst: The sheer pain of the Dundee United Playoff misery is only beaten by the utter depression felt in the early days of Save the Jags.

summed mine up perfectly!

:frantic:

This is brilliant! So many memories come back, Shaggies free kick in the pouring rain up at Inverness was immense, winning the league at Love St and the home dismal 0-0 with Forfar (when they should really have had a pen!) were both highlights! Save the jags was also a highlight as the fans really did show what could be done, I also remember playing in the 24 hour game and I'm seem to remember that day hearing that we would be fine as a deal would be done with the Bank.

Dundee and Ayr Utd games must be the worst, although some really poor players and performances under Bryce and Bunnet had me wondering if I'd ever see a decent side again.

Puts the team we have now into perspective, it's always great to be a Thistle fan but now we have a great group playing a style of football we hope to see for a long while. Add the investment in the future through the generous donation from the Weir's and looking forward to more good times to come.

Final point would be almost any game that Chic Charnley played in, always liable to a bit of magic. I also remember him being fouled just in front of the Airdrie(?) fans in the shed, they were giving him pelters when the physio came over and he pulled his shorts down a bit and pointed to his backside for treatment! Genius!

surprised that anyone that supported the Jags for 21 years chose Peterhead as his highlight Surely 2001, 2002 & 2013 championships must be better??

for me, the highs are already mentioned: I missed 71 lc final & 76 championship. so need to go for 92 promotion,01, 02 & 13 championships as well as Geordie Shaw at Parkhead, 3-0 v h*ns and the 3-1 thrashing of the tims at Hampden

lows. there can be only 2, du in play off & ayr game in 97

Best: League Cup Final '71.

Worst: Tannadice play-off.

Same. Other stand-outs were the first (yes we did it twice) 4-3 against Rangers in the 70s and the 3-1 against Celtic at Hampden. The only thing that comes close to Tannadice was being robbed by a disgraceful refereeing decision in the 79 semi. I didn't find the Ayr play-off as bad; tbh we were awful that day and deserved the result we got, unlike Tannadice where we really put in a performance.

Same. Other stand-outs were the first (yes we did it twice) 4-3 against Rangers in the 70s and the 3-1 against Celtic at Hampden. The only thing that comes close to Tannadice was being robbed by a disgraceful refereeing decision in the 79 semi. I didn't find the Ayr play-off as bad; tbh we were awful that day and deserved the result we got, unlike Tannadice where we really put in a performance.

Tannadice was so sad because we were denied a stonewll 2nd penalty and then McLaren should have been stopped on the bye line by 2 Jags players- one was Greg Watson. Simply rugby tackling him down and being booked would have done the job.

The worst moments were being relegation candidates under Tommy Bryce in the old Second Division. Going down to the fourth tier was a dismal prospect.

Then John Lambie came back in and we were back in the SPL in two years. The promotions under Lambie are second to the 71 Cup Final, obviously the best moment. The third best moment was promotion this year.

ETA - the relegations under Britton/Whyte and Dick Campbell were the second and third worst moments.

Edited by kni

A moment frozen in time: a sunny day in Edinburgh and Lambie's last game in charge. Alex Burns scores a late winner to make it 3-2 and Lambie brings on Chich Charnley for the last 5 mins. Best Thistle manager of all time? Certainly in my lifetime. You felt like you could trust him.

A moment frozen in time: a sunny day in Edinburgh and Lambie's last game in charge. Alex Burns scores a late winner to make it 3-2 and Lambie brings on Chich Charnley for the last 5 mins. Best Thistle manager of all time? Certainly in my lifetime. You felt like you could trust him.

Was that not Gerry Collins' "first" game in charge? That's what I thought, and it's always blotted the memory, lol.

BEST--League Cup Final which I was at aged 16.Followed by the 3-2 win over Rangers at Firhill in 1st Game of season 71-72.Followed by the 8-3 win over Motherwell at Firhill. WORST-- Not going to the 2-1 win at Parkheid in 92 due to a massive hangover!!!! Followed by the 4-1 loss to Rangers in 92 at Firhill. Followed by the 1-0 defeat to Honved in seaon 71-72.