An Amazing Fan - 330 Miles Every Game For 37 Years

ClydebankJag

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24578915

An amazing feat from a true superfan.

Do we have a Jags fan of similar dedication?

A football fan's record of not missing a home game since 1976 is ending this weekend.

Wolves fan Peter Abbott, from Ipswich, will not be at Molineux for Saturday's match against Coventry because he will be at his stepdaughter's wedding.

Mr Abbott, who has a regular 330 mile (530km) round trip to Wolverhampton, said he was gutted when he realised.

"I've been getting my head round it for eight months, but I'm past that now," he said.

Mr Abbott, 56, grew up in east London and said he fell for Wolves via the television and magazines and first saw them at West Ham in 1970, when they lost 3-0.

He regularly started going to Molineux in the 1975-76 season and the last game he missed there was against Tottenham on 16 March 1976, which Wanderers lost 1-0.

He said he has seen 1,902 home and away matches since then and only missed one (at Blackburn in 1985, when Wolves lost 3-0) and that was because his train broke down.

"I wondered if the Coventry fixture would change for television, but as it was getting nearer the date I realised that wasn't going to happen and, unless there's an unbelievable weather occurrence, the match will go ahead without me," he said. "It's quite clearly Sarah and Jonno's day and I'm happy for them and I'm falling in line with that."

He said he would not be attempting to listen to any commentary during the service, where Sarah Butler will marry Jonathan Liddle, and which starts at 14:00 BST at Haughley near Stowmarket, but he would try to stay informed by texts after the 15:00 kick-off.

Mr Abbot said the three Vauxhall Astras he has owned in the past 20 years have each clocked up more than 330,000 miles for football, work and other pleasures.

He said he would be "back in the saddle" for Wolves's home game against Oldham on 22 October.

Did wenot have someone a few years ago that had been to "X" years of consistent games

I would imagine that Robert Reid has probably surpassed this record by some distance! If I recall correctly only the wedding of his daughter interrupted an extraordinary number of consecutive attendances at Jags matches./

He picked a team on the basis of seeing them on the TV and in magazines? Very strange.

The power of Shoot magazine! :) But how many supporters of other Glasgow teams not called Clyde or Queens Park do so because they were told to do so by their dad?

I used to work with a guy who travelled from Chelmsford to watch Sunderland (another who never missed a game) and he spoke of fellow travellers who continued on the Aberdeen train to support Brechin. Football needs these guys.

The power of Shoot magazine! :) But how many supporters of other Glasgow teams not called Clyde or Queens Park do so because they were told to do so by their dad?

I used to work with a guy who travelled from Chelmsford to watch Sunderland (another who never missed a game) and he spoke of fellow travellers who continued on the Aberdeen train to support Brechin. Football needs these guys.

Agree wholeheartedly. Very sadly at the same time Football is going out of its way to shaft them. For starters arranging two fixtures for a club at grounds both well over 100 miles away on a Sunday lunchtime and a Monday evening. That's just us but every club will have a sorry tale to tell. And it's not just TV. Arranging the likes of Elgin v Stranraer games for.mid January. And we've had some crazy scheduled dates for our games in Dingwall.