93 Minute Heartbreak

TartanC4

There seems to be general agreement: another colossal display be Osborne, and a no-nonsense game by Piccolo, with a bit of class. He and Muirhead looked comfortable together, and I don't see why that partnership should be changed next week. Conrad needs to wait for his chance again. Or does anybody think that he could play further up, in midfield? Fox: a clutch of great saves, and a great wee dribble (ahem) in the first half. Both fullbacks solid, with McMillan in particular getting in some crucial tackles. Big Elliott worth his starting place these days without a doubt; he's fast and powerful, and made a couple of great runs through their defence yesterday. Doolan's goal: fantastic! A shame that Forbes didn't go for the other side of the keeper with that late chance, and ATS squandered a couple of real chances to put in a killer ball near the end. But all in all it was a very good all-round display, by the team and by the R&Y army.

I was thinking that about Muirhead who has shown that hes comfortable on the ball and can make some good forward runs.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the game yesterday,terrible to lose a goal so late,go with most of the posts gabby,ozzy had great games, on the whole we did up our game and a big few weeks ahead,slight niggles though I don't think forbes has the fight in him and the young lad that came on Lindsay was not fit! Roll on next week.!!!

Eh?? What utter bilge you talk. How on earth can you tell/

Can’t believe no mention of Fox’s save from Collins in the second half. He had no right to get a hand to that. For me that is the best save he has pulled off. He had a few other great saves as well.

Doolan worked really hard and took his goal very well. He is not scared to mix it with much bigger defenders. He has scored six vital goals for us, and apart from Muirhead 's penalties is the only regular scorer in the team. Any injury or loss of form could be a disaster for us if we don't bring another striker in the window.

Don’t agree ATS was poor; he won a lot of ball in the air for us. Maybe did not get forward as much but his defensive side of his game was spot on.

Given that McMillan is nowhere near 100% match fit that was some shift he put in. He won a lot of tackles and will only get better for the match. He legs were gone in the last 10 to 15 mins but he still managed to stick to his task.

I thought Higginbottom was poor by his standards. He as were a few others was guilty of being wasteful on the ball. We gave the ball away very cheaply at times – hopefully the return of Welsh and Bannigan will help sort this out. The 3 behind the striker are just not good enough, Archie needs to bring in somebody better in this area.

Baird done well apart from one wayward pass, looks like he is starting to hit form now after a poor start.

Osbourne again had a great game but my man of the match would be Piccolo. He really does look the part. Muirhead had decent game as well and I thought he competed far better in the air than he has previously in this league. Not sure what happened at the goal but seems we totally switched off. To be honest though Hibs deserved a draw at least. If they had taken their chances then they could have easily won the game.

Thought team played well, just wish they could improve their crossing was disappointed at how wasteful some of our crosses wee by Higganbothan and ATS, these guys are really good players just wish they could improve on the crossing significantly

It's amazing the difference a couple of weeks can make!! The amazing highs to the extreme lows, seems to be the life of a few PTFC fans.

The timing of the goal yesterday was extremely frustrating however a draw was a fair result. We still look vulnerable from set pieces and ultimately that undone us.

The team worked there socks of and by and large defended extremely well, McMillan and Muirhead making two fantastic blocks that saved certain goals, Foxy having his usual mix of outstanding saves mixed with inept command of his box. Ozzy was immense and certain MoM to a neutral, and part of a very hard working midfield with no failures.

I have almost blind faith in this team which I know can be foolish however I believe their efforts on behalf of a Jags jersey to now deserves that trust and even if this campaign ends in failure to date I feel this will be on ability rather than effort.

Our defending at corners still looks shakey

Haven't yet watched the highlights but we were better defending corners yesterday. Don't know the count but I thought there were quite a lot. You're not going to see the well defended corners in highlights. Still got a good bit to go in that department but at least some improvement.

Incidentally what was a tad arse over elbow yesterday was the amount of balls for once we won in the air. Gabby and Isaac virtually everything, Muirhead a high pecentage plus Higgy won his fair share. Had Welsh played it would've been even more impressive. The down side I thought was we allowed Hibs to out battle us on the ground.

Our defending at corners still looks shakey

Yeah. There were at least 2 other occasions when the defence could have let Hibs in. When Picolo headed straight to Collins for Fox to save at the top corner and when Forbes stood looking at Cummings when he had just come on. But still, progress being made, I think

Osbourne and Gabby played very well. Thought McMillan did well at RB too with some good blocks in first half. Not sure what's going on with his hair though. Fox pulled off some cracking saves. Doolan showed his class with a brilliant goal. He is still getting too many balls in the air to him. Give it to feet! Give it to feet! Gutted about the last minute equaliser from Hibs but still a lot more promising than the past few games. And remember we had O'Donnel, Bannigan, Balatoni, Welsh all out who would normally be first picks. We are a better team than Hibs and play better football.

There was an attack right at the end when ATS had the ball and I am sure it was Doolan was running in and pointing where he wanted but instead of hitting it hard and low between keeper and defender he paused and then a Hibs defender was on him. That 2nd goal would have finished them.

First trip to Easter Road and it's a good stadium and didn't realise how close it was to Haymarket although I was a bit too close to the front for my liking as I like to sit high up to get a better persepective of the game. Then out in Edinburgh for a few pints with some mates based there so a decent day out.

Getting back to Glasgow was like "World War Z" between Queen St and Central Stations. Christmas party madness. Idiot central.

I don't think anyone, barring one or two fleeting references at the beginning of this thread, has addressed the absolutely deplorable defending of the equalising goal. When Williams takes the free-kick, there are THREE players completely unmarked in the middle of our goal. I watched it last night and went to my kip absolutely beeling at how atrociously we defended that and remain so - what on earth were they playing at!? If our players in the box were somehow unaware of the presence of three opposition attackers then why is Fox not screaming his head off to tell them!? I really despair at our defending - it's not even been at schoolboy level at times recently. Again, it comes down to responsibility, someone taking it upon themselves to go "I'll take him and you take him" - not one player appeared to do that at such a crucial time. If the shoe was on the other foot and Hibs had defended as badly as that, I'm confident that the well-publicised fire exit door that was booted off by Butcher during his Motherwell days would have been lying in the Easter Road car park at 5 o'clock.

Not for the first time this season, the Sportscene highlights were mainly a procession of the opposition's chances and Fox repelling them. Call me a pessimist all you like but Saturday's point doesn't represent hope for me that we're imminently going to pull ourselves out of this mire simply because the defending is still so abhorrent. If Archie, one of the best defenders we've had during my time supporting Thistle, is unable to instill the slightest bit of organisation into a defence - i.e. pick up a bloody man at a dead-ball - then it's time to worry.

To end on a brighter note, great goal from Dools. He does a tremendous amount of unrewarding work and is left isolated far too often by our tactics but given a chance, he's capable of those sort of finishes. Baird is incapable of playing the lone role but in a front two, he could do a lot of Doolan's donkey work which would allow him to showcase his natural finishing ability more often, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Defensive woes aside, we still didn't create a lot of chances. The goal was obviously brilliant but Doolan made it himself out of nothing. Bar the Forbes handball / break of the ball and a couple of long shots from Higgy and Elliott that was pretty much it. Any attacking set pieces we had were deal with comfortably (again).

It's now been over 3 months or 10 games since anyone other than Doolan scored from open play in the league.

That said we did look better on Saturday than of late but I'm putting some of that down to Hibs not being as good as Aberdeen or United. We did win a lot more second balls in midfield than recently.

I don't think anyone, barring one or two fleeting references at the beginning of this thread, has addressed the absolutely deplorable defending of the equalising goal. When Williams takes the free-kick, there are THREE players completely unmarked in the middle of our goal. I watched it last night and went to my kip absolutely beeling at how atrociously we defended that and remain so - what on earth were they playing at!? If our players in the box were somehow unaware of the presence of three opposition attackers then why is Fox not screaming his head off to tell them!? I really despair at our defending - it's not even been at schoolboy level at times recently. Again, it comes down to responsibility, someone taking it upon themselves to go "I'll take him and you take him" - not one player appeared to do that at such a crucial time. If the shoe was on the other foot and Hibs had defended as badly as that, I'm confident that the well-publicised fire exit door that was booted off by Butcher during his Motherwell days would have been lying in the Easter Road car park at 5 o'clock.

Not for the first time this season, the Sportscene highlights were mainly a procession of the opposition's chances and Fox repelling them. Call me a pessimist all you like but Saturday's point doesn't represent hope for me that we're imminently going to pull ourselves out of this mire simply because the defending is still so abhorrent. If Archie, one of the best defenders we've had during my time supporting Thistle, is unable to instill the slightest bit of organisation into a defence - i.e. pick up a bloody man at a dead-ball - then it's time to worry.

To end on a brighter note, great goal from Dools. He does a tremendous amount of unrewarding work and is left isolated far too often by our tactics but given a chance, he's capable of those sort of finishes. Baird is incapable of playing the lone role but in a front two, he could do a lot of Doolan's donkey work which would allow him to showcase his natural finishing ability more often, in my opinion.

You're right to be beelin' at that atrocious piece of non-defending, and it reinforces Archie's repeatedly made point that in this league you can get punished for one slack moment. It also happened against Aberdeen in the Cup; I suppose we also demonstrated it when the ICT keeper made his one blunder up in Sneckie. I think Saturday's lapse has been downplayed because the team actually played better than they have for several weeks, and I think gave scope for optimism that a few better results may be on the cards in the weeks ahead. Bloody hope so!

That said we did look better on Saturday than of late but I'm putting some of that down to Hibs not being as good as Aberdeen or United.

Correct. Luckily there are a load of teams in the bottom 6 who are nowhere near as good as either of those two teams and who we are fighting against for survival. |I think St. Johnstone also are no great shakes and are beatable, but we need to stop beating ourselves to have a chance.

• Like 1