Boxing Day V Ict

Garscube Road End

Good all round performance today, Higgy is a greedy bar steward!!! Lost count of the amount of times he shoots and never looks for the pass, needs to get his act together. It's a team game not the 1 man show!!!!!

This has been one of his failings for a long time: he looks as if he's playing for himself, and so has "Glorious Failure" written all over him. If we had a reserve team, that could be sorted out, but as it stands he wastes the ball every time he gets it from someone else, and then never delivers an end product. Even Craigen, who looked completely done by the end of the game, was preferable to seeing our attacks coming to nothing because of Higginbotham's search for glory.

As for Balatoni - words fail me! :mad2: If he had to play, it would have been safer to stick him up front as a target-man (in place of Higginbotham) and bring on Muirhead at the back.

Doing without Osbourne, the midfield looked much faster, and Bannigan looked much more comfortable. Hard choices for Archie when Osbourne gets fit again.

Elliot gets better with every game: he is strong enough and fast enough to fill his current role, and he seems to combine well with other players.

Doolan is immense, giving the impression that he would show something extra special in midfield or in defence (as he did once) just as much as up front. :worship:

Edited by Fearchar

I thought we played quite well, how Doolan didn't score from 2 yards out I'll never know, after his goal vs Hibs you would put your life on him scoring but it just didnt happen, even Archie can't help that. was surprised at how much of the game we dominated as ICT are full of big guys yet Craigen, Bannigan and Lawless seemed to be holding their own and weren't bossed about. ICT were poor IMO, lump up the park after lump up the park, didn't see anything special from Mckay, in fairness to our defence they were solid, big Gabby was sensational. we kept plugging away and the players are giving their all, we just need a bit of luck like we got up at ICT last time. while I'm happy with a point, the league table is beginning to look depressing, it looks like a straight battle between us and RC for 11th. Killie, st mirren and hibs have picked up and can scrape a win, whereas we cant win when its bloody giftwrapped to us.

Edited by jags on tour

I thought we played quite well, how Doolan didn't score from 2 yards out I'll never know, after his goal vs Hibs you would put your life on him scoring but it just didnt happen, even Archie can't help that. was surprised at how much of the game we dominated as ICT are full of big guys yet Craigen, Bannigan and Lawless seemed to be holding their own and weren't bossed about. ICT were poor IMO, lump up the park after lump up the park, didn't see anything special from Mckay, in fairness to our defence they were solid, big Gabby was sensational. we kept plugging away and the players are giving their all, we just need a bit of luck like we got up at ICT last time. while I'm happy with a point, the league table is beginning to look depressing, it looks like a straight battle between us and RC for 11th. Killie, st mirren and hibs have picked up and can scrape a win, whereas we cant win when its bloody giftwrapped to us.

Ross County probably see us as their only hope to miss out on that play off place. Unless they make some cracking signings in January they are too far away from Killie to catch them.

As good as we look at times we have lost out a serious amount of deserved points. Our only hope is that RC stay as honking as they are. They have picked up less points this season than Hearts.

Proud of the team today- showed no respect to Caley and went for them. Continue to pass the ball. Disagree about Higgie (apart from the insane bicycle kick) always a threat and will score again.....hopefully.

Having said that they played like a team who'd put their collective mortgage on a 0-0

disagree missed sitters lost the ball and outmuscled quite a bit. I feel higgy is fast becoming a very overrated player

Can't believe we never took maximum points from that one.

Doolan's and Higgy's chanced were guilt edged sitters, and it is the story of our season when we cannot put them away. Simply have to be taking those chances.

I also thought Craigen wasn't up to much again. A tidy enough player, but cannot fathom why he is played week in week out religiously. A number of his passes went astray today, and didn't read the game at all at times.

However the good points are that we kept a clean sheet, big Gabby had another very good game, and we created enough chances to win the game. Don't feel we were unlucky today, as the two misses were entirely our own fault, so you cannot feel aggrieved. Poor finishing only.

Can't help but feel we will be fighting a dogfight to avoid the play-offs this season, certainly given our home form. Ross County are doing poorly at the moment, and long may it continue. But I remember Dundee going eight games unbeaten at the end of last season and still being relegated; and at the moment I cannot see us going more than one game without being beaten, so a lot of work to do.

But I hope this stops the rot and we can push on.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

I think we did okay to steady the ship. the league's top goalscorer was rarely given a sniff over ninety minutes. A couple of half chances maybe. Gabby was immense, never more so when bawling at his own team mates, a future captain perhaps. As for Lawless and Higgy, I believe both have goals in them and it may well be Higgy will go four or five games consecutively scoring at some point. Plan B has been initiated and we are a bit more cautious in terms of our full backs. Bannigan played some of his best football being the main person in midfield. Craigen could maybe take a turn on the bench as some of his passing did go astray. Elliott did a power of work and is becoming more reliable each week in terms of his defensive role. Whereas in the previous close games we could look at Scott Fox saved us from a drubbing, this was his quietest game all season as Inverness were restricted to very little chances. All in all a good day with hope for Sunday. Thank you and goodnight.

I'm surprised there's any criticism re Doolan's effort, I just thought the ball across was slightly over hit.

I know it sounds like clutching at straws but the clean sheet will be most welcome. Also I wouldn't have thought last season that a team ending up comfortably in the top six and repeating that form again this season would come to Firhill and end up playing out a draw.

Elliott did well today but I was concerned not being a natural defender he could've easily picked up a second yellow. Gabriel would've been by MotM but giving it to a defender kinda sends out a message we were on the back foot,

Once again I believe the guy who had the most influence on the game was Collum. How both Warren & Draper escaped yellow cards for persistent fouling was ridiculous. His arrogance and incompetence was all too evident up at Tannadice. On that occasion that clown didn't affect the result. Today I'm far from sure.

Getting a clean sheet, the MOTM had to be a defender. Otherwise it would have been Lawless for me. Craigen makes a clear cut chance for someone every game. The one today for Doolan in the 1st half that he just couldn't get up for. Elliot works so hard defensively and was dead unlucky in the 2nd half. SOD obviously made a difference as we were much more dominant in the 2ndhalf, although I thought MacMillan had a decent half too. A win at Firhill has got to come soon

craigen may make a chance per game but so has Baird in much less game time than craigen. Last week he set up higanbotham who hada shocking miss and near the end set up craigen who completely duffed his shot in fact if it had been the other way round people would have been screaming for bairds blood.

But because its craigen its overlooked

• Like 1

.. . Well that Morton goal will get him pints in the pubs around Firhill for the next twenty years or so on Matchdays.

that should not exempt him from being dropped at times when he has played very badly. Lawless and elliot did even more to get us promoted last season but have beeen dropped despite in my opinion contributing more in games than craigen has Edited by Third Lanark

I'm surprised there's any criticism re Doolan's effort, I just thought the ball across was slightly over hit.

I know it sounds like clutching at straws but the clean sheet will be most welcome. Also I wouldn't have thought last season that a team ending up comfortably in the top six and repeating that form again this season would come to Firhill and end up playing out a draw.

Elliott did well today but I was concerned not being a natural defender he could've easily picked up a second yellow. Gabriel would've been by MotM but giving it to a defender kinda sends out a message we were on the back foot,

Once again I believe the guy who had the most influence on the game was Collum. How both Warren & Draper escaped yellow cards for persistent fouling was ridiculous. His arrogance and incompetence was all too evident up at Tannadice. On that occasion that clown didn't affect the result. Today I'm far from sure.

dont think its clutching at straws at all a clean sheet is a positive and caley are no mugs they were simply outplayed by a better team today which again is another positive

that should not exempt him from being dropped at times when he has played very badly. Lawless and elliot did even more to get us promoted last season but have beeen dropped despite in my opinion contributing more in games than craigen has

Craigan hasn't had the dip Lawless (or Bannigan) did. Craigan pretty consistent- does a lot of donkey work and can run all day.

• Like 2

It looked like a cross he should never have got to, but craigan should never have got to ATS through ball. It was football played right on the edge! Beautiful.

I felt that Doolan could have let it drop a little more before heading it, but he wanted to put it in so badly that he took it early. No criticism though, he is brilliant in the air and it isn't the only chance that we could/should have taken today.

that should not exempt him from being dropped at times when he has played very badly

Not sure you're actually doing it but I don't believe you can make a case for Baird by being critical of Craigen. Both have similar qualities and similar shortcomings. Neither Craigen or Baird can be proud of their first touches but once on the ball they're hard to shake off it. Struggling to avoid cliches but I think Baird is an intelligent enough footballer and Craigen certainly is. Possibly their vision exceeds their technique but in the case of Craigen there's every likelihood he'll continue to improve..

Kinda hard to compare as both play different roles but I'd start Craigen ahead of Baird if only for his engine and his ability to get about the park. That said if both were on the bench I think Baird may make the better sub.

This season Craigen, like Bannigan, has been a sitting midfielder, attacking midfielder & left of a front 3.

Craigen, like Bannigan and many more in this team have never played SPL footy before this season.

No players should be exempt from criticism if playing badly but not sure what Craigen has done wrong this season.

• Like 2