Thistle V Ross

The Cup

Does anyone think we would have lost if Bannigan had played when we were 3-1 up? If not then either an overzealous referee or Stuart's stupidity over a week ago has played a part in costing us 2 points

Stuart deserved his 2 yellows last week but to blame him for dropping 2pts on Saturday, seriously? Might as well blame the ref in the St. Johnstone game for Osbourne's injury, maybe him playing & we would have kept the lead? Or we could always blame Welsh for being injured so much. Jeezo.

Does anyone think we would have lost if Bannigan had played when we were 3-1 up? If not then either an overzealous referee or Stuart's stupidity over a week ago has played a part in costing us 2 points

Agree re Bannigan but that's surely where Gary Fraser coming on may have helped!

Stuart deserved his 2 yellows last week but to blame him for dropping 2pts on Saturday, seriously? Might as well blame the ref in the St. Johnstone game for Osbourne's injury, maybe him playing & we would have kept the lead? Or we could always blame Welsh for being injured so much. Jeezo.

I said played a possible part only, not was the sole reason.

I wasn't a big fan of Lawless on Saturday and I'm surprised to see a few posts praising his performance. I've never seen a player so scared of being tackled or getting involved in a tackle. Decent option when in space and looking forward, but a man down (a man short?) when either defending or when we're looking for an option to relieve some pressure. We can't afford that sort of luxury at the moment, IMO.

You've got to be joking, surely? He's the most threatening midfielder we've got. Scoring goals isn't a luxuxy, it's a necessity to win games. Got to remember that it's Lawless' job to find space to receive the ball. When playing central, sometimes he'll be closed down two or three players, so he's more likely to lose the ball especially when his job is to make things happen instead of chose the safe pass. I think he's quite good at wriggling free and picking out a player in space. Totally different to playing out wide, where, for example, all Elliott has to do is square up to one opposition player.

I'd like to see us gamble a bit more against Kille and play Bannigan and Fraser in defensive midfield. In fact, maybe that's not even a gamble.

Drop Elliott. Drop Muirhead (who's done ok in that position but he's not the best at playing a nicely weighted ball). Put Craigen out on the right in order to allow Lawless to stay central.

I'd like to see us gamble a bit more against Kille and play Bannigan and Fraser in defensive midfield. In fact, maybe that's not even a gamble.

Drop Elliott. Drop Muirhead (who's done ok in that position but he's not the best at playing a nicely weighted ball). Put Craigen out on the right in order to allow Lawless to stay central.

How about drop Conrad and put Muirhead back in defense, then I could agree with you

• Like 1

So his goal and quality ball through for Taylor means you think he contributed less than others? He wasn't at his best agreed but I am not too concerned if he isn't tackling like an Osborne for example. He usually creates something or retains possession, something that couldn't be said for many of his midfield colleagues on Saturday.

I don't think anyone in our team but Taylor would have scored from that ball, but give him credit for actually playing the pass where others might not have. The sort of thing I'm talking about is, for instance, in the 2nd half - everyone but him back defending a corner. The ball is cleared to the halfway line fully 10 yards away from him, he shows no interest in hassling the defender for the ball. I like him as a player, I really do, but he needs to help his teammates out in this way a bit more. To me, Craigen was an example of this last season. A little too hesitant to get in a defenders face and force a decision. He has improved in this.

Your no slating the efforts of the 2 guys in the middle of midfield ( who were very poor) but you'll slate a player who scores 1 and sets 1 up. Also he has only scored 5 from midfield this season!

Mental!!!

You'll also be surprised that the papers gave him a decent rating.

No, sorry, I forgot to have a look at the papers so they could tell me what I think. You'll notice that I didn't mention their performance, I mentioned their effort. They weren't great, granted. Lawless has more talent than both those guys put together, yet he's out of the team quite often. Why?

You've got to be joking, surely? He's the most threatening midfielder we've got. Scoring goals isn't a luxuxy, it's a necessity to win games. Got to remember that it's Lawless' job to find space to receive the ball. When playing central, sometimes he'll be closed down two or three players, so he's more likely to lose the ball especially when his job is to make things happen instead of chose the safe pass. I think he's quite good at wriggling free and picking out a player in space. Totally different to playing out wide, where, for example, all Elliott has to do is square up to one opposition player.

Yeah, he can be threatening, when he's on form. I said it above, I like him as a player. When it's not quite clicking for him, I just reckon he doesn't work hard enough to retain or regain possession. I'd say he's a similar type of player to Higgy, but the main difference between them is Higgy's workrate and desire to win the ball.

No, sorry, I forgot to have a look at the papers so they could tell me what I think. You'll notice that I didn't mention their performance, I mentioned their effort. They weren't great, granted. Lawless has more talent than both those guys put together, yet he's out of the team quite often. Why?

You would have to ask the Manager that but I have said for some time that Craigen could do with a couple of games on the bench.

Some might say I come across as anti-Craigen but the guy has made an incredible step up from University football to SPL football in little over a year, he is still learning (as is Lawless, Bannigan and Elliot). To be fair he started really well in the SPL and has had at least 4-5 assists for goals this season, however he still needs to be dropped when he is off form and in the last few games Lawles has probably done more to merit a starting place than Craigen or Elliot.

I should add for all I have criticised Craigen he has the makings of an excellent player, as does Bannigan and Lawless and so does Archie have the potential to be an excellent Manager - understandably in their first season in the SPL they all can make mistakes and lose form. I think next season will see an improvement from them all (providing we can keep Lawless). When they do lose form as a couple of them have lately I dont think a spell on the bench is going to be overly damaging to them.

I think for Craigen it's a case of being overburdened and he maybe could do with a spell on the bench but ultimately it needs someone to take the midfield by the scruff of the neck and give some direction. Ideally our next signing will be an experienced Centre Half who will Captain the team on the park if not in name. Fox as captain is a non-starter as he can obviously only influence the players right in front of him and he ain't doin' that good a job at that.

I just reckon he doesn't work hard enough to retain or regain possession. I'd say he's a similar type of player to Higgy, but the main difference between them is Higgy's workrate and desire to win the ball.

Watch Saturday's match highlights and pay particular attention to the build up to our second goal. Lawless makes two challenges and his desire to close the defender down leads to the slack pass to Muirhead.

A lot of our problems this season stem from a failure to squeeze the opposition. Lawless looks like he's recognised this and is determined to do something about it.

• Like 2

Watch Saturday's match highlights and pay particular attention to the build up to our second goal. Lawless makes two challenges and his desire to close the defender down leads to the slack pass to Muirhead. A lot of our problems this season stem from a failure to squeeze the opposition. Lawless looks like he's recognised this and is determined to do something about it.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong in the second half of this season. I'd still have him in the side ahead of Elliot when Bannigan and (perhaps) Fraser come back in. I was there watching, would just like to see this sort of thing for as long as he's on the pitch, not one moment to be picked out. I agree that a lot of our problems have come from a lack of pressing, and that's something I think we did better in the first half on Saturday....the boys seem to be learning that this level requires something extra.

Don't think anybody wants to prove you wrong, I certainly don't. At the beginning of the season, Elliot, Craigen and lawless all started well, Lawless had a dip in form and was dropped. Lately Elliot and craigens form has dipped, but seem to start most games. Over the last 5 games lawless's form has returned and you have a go at his lack of tackling, that's what I think is mental. Doesn't matter who you are, if your form dips then it's time for a stretch on the bench. Lawless's hold up play can certainly improve, but don't think any of county's goal came from him losing the ball.

Don't think anybody wants to prove you wrong, I certainly don't. At the beginning of the season, Elliot, Craigen and lawless all started well, Lawless had a dip in form and was dropped. Lately Elliot and craigens form has dipped, but seem to start most games. Over the last 5 games lawless's form has returned and you have a go at his lack of tackling, that's what I think is mental. Doesn't matter who you are, if your form dips then it's time for a stretch on the bench. Lawless's hold up play can certainly improve, but don't think any of county's goal came from him losing the ball.

That's not what I meant. I mean I'd like Stevie himself to prove me wrong and get stuck in when we're chasing the ball down. I never once said he directly lost us a goal, and individual mistakes are not what I'm on about, but my view is that he could help his midfield partners out a little more when he doesn't have the ball. I don't think there's any doubt that I'm mental. I'm a Jags fan after all.

• Like 1

He's still getting pushed off the ball too easily at this level, we're up against some big lads out there and much as I loved Steve's play last year , I dont think I've seen too many good performances this year , due mostly to his light build , he needs to beef up !

He's still getting pushed off the ball too easily at this level, we're up against some big lads out there and much as I loved Steve's play last year , I dont think I've seen too many good performances this year , due mostly to his light build , he needs to beef up !

Totally agree. The most frustrating thing about Stevie is when given the ball and running at a player he always checks inside where there are more players rather than into the space of out toward the wing. Paul cairney always did the same. I also agree he could chase down a little more but he is still a player I'd have in my team.

Edited by kennymac29