Thistle V Ross

The Cup

Craigen wasn't at his best today but to say he is out is depth is absolute nonsense, he's been excellent in a good number of our games this season.

Agree that Craigen has had some good games and assisted moves leading to goals. However, against Hearts and today he was, in my opinion, our poorest player. Both games he has had a terrible pass, let players by, watched the ball, held off players and barely won a tackle.

His form has clearly dipped, like almost every player experiences in a season. He needs dropped. We have Fraser back. Archie didn't even sub him which worries me more.

I like Craigen and think he will be a great player, Archie needs to manage the team, selection and subs better.

Elliot starting is a joke. The guy has pace and strength, nothing else. Pace and strength can work against tired teams so keep him as an "impact sub".

Edited by mhs

Craigen wasn't at his best today but to say he is out is depth is absolute nonsense, he's been excellent in a good number of our games this season.

Don't think he does enough in 90mins to say he is excellent or has been excellent. At times he makes intelligent runs once or twice a game but for me a midfielder, attacking or defensive needs to have more of an impact than James does, especially when he has the ball. At this level he and Elliott are squad players at best.

Don't think he does enough in 90mins to say he is excellent or has been excellent. At times he makes intelligent runs once or twice a game but for me a midfielder, attacking or defensive needs to have more of an impact than James does, especially when he has the ball. At this level he and Elliott are squad players at best.

I'd be interested to know how many assists Craigen has this season, I'm sure it'll be the most of any player in our squad. That's what makes him a vital player in our team. Yes, he may need a wee rest, that's hardly surprising. But he's 100% not out of his depth in this league.

I'd be interested to know how many assists Craigen has this season, I'm sure it'll be the most of any player in our squad. That's what makes him a vital player in our team. Yes, he may need a wee rest, that's hardly surprising. But he's 100% not out of his depth in this league.

With a full squad would he be in your starting 11?

I said after the Motherwell game that fox should be dropped and now even more so. He must be the only goalkeeper that manages to make himself smaller at one on ones or when a player is shooting from an angle.

Totally lacked in centre midfield today. Craigen was anonymous today and I think he is not good enough for this level.

The same has to be said about balatoni. Was a massive fan of his last season but Just isn't cutting it in this league.

Archie needs to take a lot of blame for the shocker of a second half well atleast after out 3rd. Could see a mile off that the shape (or lack of it) wasn't working.

Ref was terrible but expect that from madden but the only ones to blame for not taking three points was the management and players.

Yes a negative post but feels like a defeat.

I'll end on high....Taylor looks awesome!!

• Like 2

I said after the Motherwell game that fox should be dropped and now even more so. He must be the only goalkeeper that manages to make himself smaller at one on ones or when a player is shooting from an angle.

Totally lacked in centre midfield today. Craigen was anonymous today and I think he is not good enough for this level.

The same has to be said about balatoni. Was a massive fan of his last season but Just isn't cutting it in this league.

Archie needs to take a lot of blame for the shocker of a second half well atleast after out 3rd. Could see a mile off that the shape (or lack of it) wasn't working.

Ref was terrible but expect that from madden but the only ones to blame for not taking three points was the management and players.

Yes a negative post but feels like a defeat.

I'll end on high....Taylor looks awesome!!

Agree. Agree. Agree.

With regards to Fox... Need to see goals in replay but my initial reaction is most keepers would have saved two of the three goals. I have thought this a few games recently. Think dropping Fox for Gallagher may be worth a shot.

Edited by mhs

• Members

We were always going to struggle in the middle of the park today. If Ross had been a bit more savvy they would have taken advantage of our lack of numbers there right from the start. Was really surprised to see them start with 2 front players. Ross will be really happy to come back and grab a point after being 2 goals down, but they'll be disappointed they didn't try to dominate our midfield earlier.

Yup, a frustrating afternoon that promosed so much.

Negatives:

1. Muirhead is not a very good defensive midfielder. Time and time again, instead of sitting in front of the back four, he backed into them, thus giving County the freedom to patrol our box, pick out passes and hit shots. I know this is like criticising a fish for its inability to climb trees, as Aero is a central defender, but it was relevant to the oucome of the match, as we lost control of the midfield as soon as County upped the pace. Hopefully this is the last time he's forced to be a fish out of water.

2. Following on from the above, the team needs to learn the importance of keeping its shape. When under pressure we panicked, camped in our own box and failed to push up when the opportunity arose.

3. Christie Elliot. He can run fast in a straight line and tries hard but he's not yet ready at this level.

4. Craigen. Similar to Muirhead, it's perhaps unfair to criticise him too much, as he prefers to play in a more advanced role, but I think he needs a rest. Hopefully the signing of Fraser will enable this. Loads of potential though.

5. When it's clear that we've lost midfield we need to change things quicker. County's goal was a long time coming.

Positives!

1. Lyle Taylor. I know it may seem harsh on Dools, but this guy is exactly what we need if we're going to play with one striker. When the ball is played up to him, it sticks; his link-up pkay is good; he's excellent in the air; and makes intelligent runs. Well done, Archie.

2. Higgy's headers. Other parts of his game were missing today but good lord can the guy jump. He won every single header against their right-back, who was a good few inches taller than him.

3. Wee Lawless seems to be back on form. Fantastic pass for Lyle's second.

4. ATS managed to put in a few decent crosses. (Of course, quite a few flew over the box, but let's focus on the positives!).

Edited by Stewarty
  • Like 1

We're simply not good enough, period. That's why we've yet to register a home win. Thisle ae developing a habit of firing aimless long balls up the park, as was seen today we're at our most dangerous and productive when we get the ball down and pass it. We fell into County's trap in the second half as I suspected we might. Defending far too deep and continually pumping high balls up the park. Archie has really got to kick a few backsides as that game , more so even than in many matches this season was waiting, almost begging to be won. As I said, we were simply not good enough. In addition a mystery of equal proportion to our inability to win at home is how Bobby Madden is allowed to referee top flight games in this country Amongst a collection of refereeing pygmies he still stands out for his awfulness.

Four points from six is good stuff. Taylor was superb and looks like a great signing. Shame about the three soft goals we gave away today though. We failed to get a grip in the midfield, Jimmy Craigen was definitely off form today. Fox had a bit of a shocker too. I thought the 4-4-2 worked well when Dools came on.

Defence was an utter shambles today, especially The Fox. I feel he was to blame for the first two goals but the whole defence was dodgy. We need to get another defender in quickly. Balatoni again was poor and needs dropping to get fully match fit. Have to say the 3rd goall was a fantastic move and that Lyle Taylor is exactly the type of striker we have been craving. Very disappointing end to a game that looked sewn up just after half time. Have to say County have bought well and the guy Kiss was excellent

Edited by Lindau

Over the past 15 or so years I have attended numerous games against Ross County. Obviously there has been the odd exception either way, but the majority of the encounters at Firhill have been dour and forgettable. We have ended up lumping high balls down the throat of Scott Boyd. Ross County have come and time wasted even when the score is 0-0, happy with a point and as often as not nicking a goal and stealing 3 points. Yet the games at Dingwall have generally been entertaining affairs with both teams going at it full tilt and lots of goals at either end. Not surprisingly our record has been much better in Dingwall than at Firhill. In the midst of many 0-0, 0-1 and 0-2 scorelines I can recall one 2-2 at Firhill, but at Dingwall I can remember 5-2, 4-1, 2-3, at least two 2-2s and numerous 2-1/1-2s.

I did say that there was the odd exception.

Four points from six is good stuff. Taylor was superb and looks like a great signing. Shame about the three soft goals we gave away today though. We failed to get a grip in the midfield, Jimmy Craigen was definitely off form today. Fox had a bit of a shocker too. I thought the 4-4-2 worked well when Dools came on.

The nervousness throughout the team comes from the back: Fox is just not directing his defence nor is he commanding his box. Opposition forwards are told to do two things - come from behind the goal line, a position that that Fox doesn't watch, and back into him to restrict his movement. Our defenders don't resist the forward's momentum, to give Fox room, nor are they ever directed to have someone on the back post. In fact, we were lucky not to lose a goal because of that naivety. We really miss Hinchcliffe's coaching, and it doesn't look as if Gallagher's alternative (as player or coach) will give us an alternative. Help!

Craigen offered nothing today - once County had a man sent off, we looked more like we were equalling them in midfield - and that was with Forbes, the least mobile midfielder we had, on the park!

Elliott, on the other hand, offers brawn, speed and agility: I really don't understand why so many seem to look down on him. Unlike Craigen, his passing is accurate and he tracks back to relieve the pressure on the defence.

Doolan and Taylor should both be on from the start: with such a porous defence, we can't afford to ignore their goal-scoring.

• Like 2

Just back in from the game and got to say,enjoyed the goals we scored but didn't enjoy the way we played. Lyle Taylor adds a different dimension to our team with his strength and power,the only negative being as soon as we were under pressure the ball got launched in the direction of Taylor rather than keep possession and play our way out of defence,because of this most times we gave the ball back to County. Disappointed we can't seem to accommodate Dools in the team,either alongside Taylor or just behind him,think you need your best players on the park and I think he has proved he can play at this level. Read the thread re James Craigan, don't think being a defensive midfielder is his game but give him credit he still showed for the ball when his head could have dropped,hindsight being a wonderful thing I would have played McMillan there. Finally hopefully Archie hasn't totally ditched his passing game beliefs though I know we need results because at times that was hard work watching

Surely if there's a game to play two strikers then it's today but yet we saw the same formation with a makeshift midfield as per usual which has had poor success. After we went 3 2 up ( given their immediate equaliser) it was twenty good mins of county pressure yet Archie didn't change it. Septic peg could see the equaliser coming it was so obvious.

Scott fox as has been said was woeful, punching and slapping everything and Stephen odonnell seems to have copied McMillan by thinking he's a centre half and constantly drifting in and leaving a spare man on the wing.

I can see in theory why he brought forbes on but he forgets he's a gutless coward who rather than wait for a foul and move on quickly would rather wait and get halved and have a free kick 10 Yards in our half.

The positives were Taylor who fought for every ball and looks a great signing, sinky who got forward well with no support and lawless who despite constantly turning infield into trouble at least semi fought for it back.

I don't see how 4-4-2 would have helped today, we struggled to cope with their midfield with 2 sitting midfielders, I don't see how adding another striker in to the team would have helped. We could have matched them & went 3 in the centre of midfield, Muirhead as DM, Craigen & Fraser just slightly ahead of him. More of a 4-3-3 with it becoming a 4-5-1 without the ball.

The nervousness throughout the team comes from the back: Fox is just not directing his defence nor is he commanding his box. Opposition forwards are told to do two things - come from behind the goal line, a position that that Fox doesn't watch, and back into him to restrict his movement. Our defenders don't resist the forward's momentum, to give Fox room, nor are they ever directed to have someone on the back post. In fact, we were lucky not to lose a goal because of that naivety. We really miss Hinchcliffe's coaching, and it doesn't look as if Gallagher's alternative (as player or coach) will give us an alternative. Help!

Craigen offered nothing today - once County had a man sent off, we looked more like we were equalling them in midfield - and that was with Forbes, the least mobile midfielder we had, on the park!

Elliott, on the other hand, offers brawn, speed and agility: I really don't understand why so many seem to look down on him. Unlike Craigen, his passing is accurate and he tracks back to relieve the pressure on the defence.

Doolan and Taylor should both be on from the start: with such a porous defence, we can't afford to ignore their goal-scoring.

Elliott is simply not up to this level and I am not sure what he does except run around .... Half the time he doesn't even touch the ball