Thistle V Ross

The Cup

3 - 1 up and next thing - BANG they score before we can gather ourselves, do they not know how to hold the ball and steady things for 5/10 minutes, this was another chance gone begging, it makes for some more nailbiting in the next few weeks - ah well it's all part of being a Jags fan :(

Man of the match, Lyle Taylor. Non manager of the match, Alan Archibald!!!! What the hell is he doing raving about and signing Gary Frazer so that he can leave him on the bench. Same as he did at the start of the season. Dumb or what?

its frustrating but look how far we have come in the last few weeks where people are raging about a draw. This is against a Ross county side spending massively far more than we can. Make no mistake killie and st mirren have now well and truly been dragged back into the dogfight and with Taylor now in we will never be more confident of beating them.

I'm not completely sure Fraser was match fit and I can see why Archie didnt play him. It will be next season when he will be a mainstay of the team.

On the face of it a poor result having been 3-1 up (but also 0-1 down).

Perhaps the day the play-off place was confirmed but, by the same token, also the day that we remained above one candidate for the play-off and gained a point on another 2 - glass half empty/full? :frantic: :frantic:

I'll say it again we need a experienced centre half someone to boss that back line

After today I think foxy could do with a spot on the bench

Got to say I really thought Archie would play Doolan up front with Taylor

Don't understand today's team selection

Massive game for us several players missing and Archie leaves 2 experience players on the bench McMillan and Doolan

Don't get it

After county got the second we seemed to lose the place

IMO 2 points dropped

Taylor really impressive today

Higgy and lawless did well

Big muirhead did ok put himself about some good tackling and passing

Gabriel playing well but after his booking fell away a bit

Felt like a defeat today

Roll on next week

• Like 1

I would have taken a draw before the game but wIthout Taylor we probably wouldn't have got anything.

That's a fair point. A couple of months ago we might have lost that game.

Even so, to be two goals in front and then end up drawing is a kick in the chookies. It almost feels like a defeat. At this level three goals really should be enough to win a game.

Anyone else think fox could work on his one v ones? Number of goals that get slipped past him

Yip,

Said that a couple of weeks ago, he comes out stops , falls backwards on his asre.A real technical flaw in his game that should have been picked up and worked on.He's a very good keeper but he needs to improve his game .Also,how many times does the ball go through his legs FFS.We should get him webbed trackie bottoms and we could have saved about six goals this season.

The defence was shocking in the second half, we could easily have lost that from 3-1 up.We'll continue to ship goals if we dont get an experienced central defender in.Conrad for their third , funking hell .

Taylor looks brilliant up front and Lawless was performing like last season for most of the game but our passing let us down badly from the rest of midfield.Higgy, totally frustrating, as others, were with dozens of overhit crosses

Should have ran out winners today but stupid lacks of concentration at vital moments let us down after we went 3-1 up.We are still badly organised when we lose the ball.All three of County's goals should have been avoided.

The 8 goals conceded in our last two home games have been shocking and this amatuer type of defending is going to cost us dear .

Edited by angry gaz

All 3 goals were very poor ... Balatoni continues to underperform and Craigen needs a rest .... Some of the goals we lose are amateur hour stuff

And can someone please tell me what is the point if Elliott?

This.

Elliott and Balatoni aren't good enough.

The gulf in class between the First and SPL is significant. I am hoping it will show in the play offs.

All 3 goals were very poor ... Balatoni continues to underperform and Craigen needs a rest .... Some of the goals we lose are amateur hour stuff

Surely Archie must realise now that Craigen and Elliot can't cut it. Without better players around them they are an absolute mile out their depth.

Agree completely, Elliott tries hard but he isn't good enough for this level, he and Craigen wouldn't be in my team if we weren't so short due to injuries and suspension. We have better. I like them both, they try but just not good enough at this level. We were quiet in the middle of the park today and were crying out for someone to dictate play and keep the ball. Our retention is poor generally at the moment. Central defence is really weak and I still think muirhead is our best centre half but could do with someone alongside with some experience.

As has been said about fox, not sure why his levels have dipped but they have. Mybes he should sit out for a few weeks...

Lyle is quality and scored two really good goals and we should have been out of sight after lawless scored but on balance a draw was frustratingly fair in the end as we showed again that we can't defend properly.

Notice as well we are trying to be more direct back to front which is ok sometimes but despite Higgy doing well in the air a lot today I can't help but think if we played to his feet more than for him to flick on headers we'd be more effective down the wide areas.

Flattered to deceive again & very lucky to be 2-1 up at HT with 2 sitting midfielders, consisting of a centre half & someone more used to playing attacking midfield, that were being overrun. Their first a direct result of both being missing in action & not quick enough to close down the player.

Reluctant to criticise either but both looked lost & in the second half we'd lost the midfield totally. The management team shouldn't be excused from criticism for this however. Both were locked in conversation for a good number of minutes before settling on Forbes.

Ross Forbes!! The same Ross Forbes who spent more time out on the left hand side when did come on. That's not plugging a hole in the middle. That's opening a bigger one.

They did us a favour by taking off a forward & putting on a midfielder- who granted was sent off.

Why sign Gary Fraser yesterday, go to the trouble of seeking clearance for him this morning, out him on the bench then refuse to bring him on when he's the square peg for the square hole?

& don't tell me he's not match fit because he's fit enough to do a job in a midfield that's been non-existent through 90mins never mind the the 20min spell right after HT.

& Piccolo? Sorry. Not the answer. I know he's a bit of a cult hero with The Shed but sells himself too often, has little or no composure on the ball & badly at fault for their 3rd. If a keeper comes that far from his line & doesn't get the ball (slip or no slip) then he's slated. As soon as he's missed that ball their boy has the freedom of the 18 yard box.

We need a centre half, preferably before next Sat but failing that definitely before the window shuts.

Thank goodness for Lyle Taylor.

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 2

Surely Archie must realise now that Craigen and Elliot can't cut it. Without better players around them they are an absolute mile out their depth.

Do not agree about Craigan.

Elliot was shocking.

Hard for Archie- clean sheets v. ICT and Hearts and decent defence v. Celtic the Motherwell and County horrorshow. Just when the centre backs seem to be solid they get shitty again.

For me Picollo is lightweight and Balatoni is finding it tough. The quality new player in central defense will not be easy to find.