Thistle V Ross

The Cup

Seriously thought of starting a new thread on Elliot alone. Some players have off games, some make individual errors but Elliot consistently offers zilch. Keep hearing about his pace and stretching defenses but it never happens. Runs about with lots of heart but no skill. First touch deplorable and never makes defence splitting passes. His selection in ANY game is my only criticism of Archie. He is an average div 1(as in the new div 1) player at best.

Not a fan, then?

Seriously thought of starting a new thread on Elliot alone. Some players have off games, some make individual errors but Elliot consistently offers zilch. Keep hearing about his pace and stretching defenses but it never happens. Runs about with lots of heart but no skill. First touch deplorable and never makes defence splitting passes. His selection in ANY game is my only criticism of Archie. He is an average div 1(as in the new div 1) player at best.

I agree I feel some sort of loyalty but today he had a touch of a donkey! We only need him against a a team we chasing the game constantly as his only quality is pace...

Edited by kennymac29

My thoughts...

Fox never a captain

Should've won

Defence dreadful. Piccolo ok, o'donnel's defensive positioning terrible

Taylor - superb. My semi neutral pal said he was by far the best on the pitch - like when someone's big brother played at fives...

Lawless - needs to look up & pass

Higgy - keep it simple

Craigen - I like him & is decent

Elliot - fit & tries. Not the greatest, but definitely preferred starter given injuries

Awful we didn't win, amazed Madden is a referee. Awful decisions for both sides.

My thoughts...

Fox never a captain

Should've won

Defence dreadful. Piccolo ok, o'donnel's defensive positioning terrible

Taylor - superb. My semi neutral pal said he was by far the best on the pitch - like when someone's big brother played at fives...

Lawless - needs to look up & pass

Higgy - keep it simple

Craigen - I like him & is decent

Elliot - fit & tries. Not the greatest, but definitely preferred starter given injuries

Awful we didn't win, amazed Madden is a referee. Awful decisions for both sides.

It amazes me how fans can go to a game and see things totally differentl. I know it's all about opinions, so here's mine..

Fox..agree with you.

Defence.. 2 centres terrible, the 2 of them get stretched all over the place and balatoni needs dropped, terrible the last few weeks. ATS constant threat down the left, good cross for the 2nd goal, but still needs to improve his final ball. SOD was caught out too often cos he was pushing forward and leaving acres of space, one of his poor games

Midfield...Muirhead was meant to be in there to protect the defence but kept retreating, not his fault he is not a defending midfielder. Craigen..needs a rest and should not be a first pick when we have our full midfield fit, will run all day but brought nothing to the game today. Elliot I feel has not got it at this level. Higgy, strange tactic today, every kick out free kick or by kick was aimed at Higgy, who did really well in the air, but this is not his game or this teams. Did ok today. Lawless is at his best playing in the hole, as for his passing, his pass for the 1st was class and in the 2nd half he volleyed a ball that was hammered at him which was brilliant. He did turn inside a few times and lose the ball, but I feel the weemans wee flicks and vision is the best in the team.

Taylor was class first half, his holding the ball up is great and he has got muscle that we need up front. Tailed off 2nd half but that was after putting a shift in.

Edited by JaggyMad

Archie is not the manager for us!! We have a good squad and he is doing fek all with it

He will not be a long term manager for us mark my words

Time to drop the sentimental pish

just to clarify, is your glass half full or half empty?

Experience lost us the game today!!!

The most experienced player is Mark Kerr he deserves to be in that midfield

hmmm, apparent it is now ..... hiya mark, hiya pal !!

so i take it you aren't happy getting splinters from sitting in the stand?

Infact he has more experience than anyone at the club including the manager

pitching yourself for the job mark?

My thoughts...

Fox never a captain agreed, think most are of same opinion

Should've won true, but "should have" doesn't equal 3 pts, we must do better, cut out the schoolboy errors.

Defence dreadful. Piccolo ok, o'donnel's defensive positioning terrible add in ats standing off opponents too much, anyone know how many tackles he made today?

Taylor - superb. My semi neutral pal said he was by far the best on the pitch - like when someone's big brother played at fives... easily motm. when fully fit will be immense.

Lawless - needs to look up & pass more. ..... agree he needs to look up (more), but jaggymad highlights some good instances when he did

Higgy - keep it simple agreed. trying to hard to be flashy today.

Craigen - I like him & is decent agreed. and will only get better, some need to cut him some slack and get off his back

Elliot - fit & tries. Not the greatest, but definitely preferred starter given injuries agreed. and also given some of the alternatives.

Awful we didn't win, amazed Madden is a referee. Awful decisions for both sides. we keep saying it on numerous occasions per season, but today was truly one of these days when we witnessed one of the worst, inept, embarrassing refereeing displays in any of our memories. how on planet earth is that excuse of a man employed as a referee, let alone in top league?

We should be 4pts ahead of Ross County now.When they pulled it back to 3-2 we should have changed formation as we couldn't hold on to the ball we also had 2 defenders booked.We could have ended up with 10 men again.If we cant win at home after being 3-1 up when will we? Next week will be interesting to see how we react.If we can get at least 6pts from our remaining games this month it would be a good month. But if we only pick up 1 or 2 w will be heading for the play offs.

Another strange day at Firhill - thought we might break the mould by playing not very well but actually winning at home. I felt quite comfortable at 2-1 but started worrying right after we went 3-1 up.

5 of the goals owed much to poor goalkeeping or dopey defending though we picked out good passes in the penalty box for our third...and Taylor's second was an excellent goal. Couldn't believe the shot for their first ended in the net - maybe took a bad bounce but.... Not sure what happened with their second but looked horrible by Fox. Their third was yet another all too easy goal through the middle of our defence.

I'm reluctant to criticise Muirhead and Craigen too much as they were both playing out of position but I thought Fraser should have been brought on - to take the Derek Adams approach, I thought we made their midfield look good - Bannigan and Welsh badly missed.

We were crying out for our keeper to show calmness and confidence, for the central defenders to make tackles and boss the opposition, and for the defensive midfielders to break up attacks and bring the ball out of defence - none of that happened and we were pushed back. Fox's confidence has gone and Balatoni and Piccolo are at best squad players - when we played at Pittodrie, Willie Miller rightly said we were a team with a soft centre -an experienced defender is a priority signing to play alongside Muirhead.

I read before the game that County's left back was highly rated and I assume that's why Elliot played on the right wing. He tries very hard but other than possibly as an impact sub he looks way short of the level required.

On a more positive note, ATS did pretty well, Higgy won so many headers, Lawless was good and I remember posting last season that if we had Lyle Taylor in our side we would have won the League by a country mile.

And as always with poor defences it was an exciting game.

Edited by Winter of '63

We should be 4pts ahead of Ross County now.When they pulled it back to 3-2 we should have changed formation as we couldn't hold on to the ball we also had 2 defenders booked.We could have ended up with 10 men again.If we cant win at home after being 3-1 up when will we? Next week will be interesting to see how we react.If we can get at least 6pts from our remaining games this month it would be a good month. But if we only pick up 1 or 2 w will be heading for the play offs.

In the pub till closing time Auld Jag....lol

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

Balatoni is nowhere near good enough for the SPL. Picallo is improving but whoever partners Conrad needs to cover for his slowness, inability to read the game and his new found terribleness at headers. His miss with a free header was utterly criminal, it was right in front of me, he had acres of space, had the ball delivered exactly where he wanted it and anything on target was in the back of the net.

Craigen isn't a defensive midfielder and neither is Muirhead so it's a bit harsh to have too much of a go at them for yesterday.

Elliot does have a place as a sub but it seems daft not to fit Taylor, Doolan, Higginbotham and Lawless (who is finally becoming an SPL player) into the same side, particularly at home.

As soon as we went 2 up we sat back and launched the ball forward allowing County to come onto us while gradually losing our shape more and more as the game went on. That was never going to work, you can't play the last 35 minutes like it's the last 5.

Lyle Taylor gives me the belief we will finish above the play-offs. Just.

We blew the chance to put clear daylight between Ross County and ourselves, not to mention moving much closer to Killie and St Mirren. To be totally honest, I find myself at a loss in trying to describe our reaction to going two up yesterday. Immediately, we decided to stop passing the ball and copy Ross County's tactics of pumping long aimless balls up front, thus giving away possession continually. Unlike Adams,I'll credit our opposition with the nous and character to come back from being 2 behind in the second half of the game.

From a Thistle perspective, serious questions must be answered by the goalkeeper and the central defenders, not to mention Archie himself. It was obvious, that we were failing to respond to County's renewed sense of urgency after Lawless's goal. Why were changes not made immediately to counter this, FFS Archie and Shaggy were defenders so if we fans can see the team wilting in front of us then so can they, or one would assume so.

Having been to most games home and away this season yesterday felt curiously similar to the Boxing Day humping by Motherwell i.e. we were the masters of our own downfall combined with more experienced and frankly better opponents in key positions. Again, unlike Mr. Adams, I'm big enough to admit that yesterday showed that BOTH teams are where they deserve to be i.e. at the bottom end of the table.

However, we really must now win our games against Kilmarnock and St. Midden, not to mention get something from the St. Johnstone game at Fihill if we want to avoid the dreaded play off spot.

I'll second that... he is woeful

I'll second that... he is woeful

Elliot has never been up to it ability wise since he came here but he's managed to make a useful squad player of himself even in the SPL. Based on that and the way he was in the Star last season the guy is clearly a sound professional determined to make the most of his lack of natural ability with the ball. He deserves credit for that at least. I still think his directness and pace has a place coming off the bench, notably against Celtic at Firhill when he made some great runs inside with the ball as they tired.

Admittedly I wasn't at the game yesterday, and my post is based on bbc sport commentary & 3 minutes of highlights however things seem very clear; the reason we lost a 3-1 lead is that we had a mixed up, out of position midfield. Remember we are without Welsh, Osbourne & Bannigan who would all start in there if fit/ free from suspension. Yes our defence is not fantastic, and yes Balatoni is slower than a week in the jail, but that is why we play 2 holding midfielders, to protect them!! Ross County have just signed two really decent midfielders in Kiss & Tidser and to me it's no surprise that they bossed the middle of the park. What is really positive from this game is that we are now 2 games unbeaten and have scored 5 goals in those games with 4 of them from open play. Taylor is a great signing (regardless of what that useless fool Adams thinks) and has brought a real threat to an otherwise toothless attack. I believe that we will finish 3rd from bottom this season and ask the question.... Did you really believe that we would not be in a relegation scrap?

Struggling to take positives from yesterday apart from the goals. What I would say is that is a significantly improved County team from when we played them last - and we were missing a whole more experienced midfield (Bannigan, Osbourne and Welsh) . From that what I'm trying to feel is that a point is probably an OK result in the circumstances.