Thistle V Ross

The Cup

The second half yesterday goes beyond Osbourne/Welsh/Banngan not being there. When Doolan came on we were playing some sort of 7-1-2 at times with insane gaps between the back line (which Muirhead forgot he was not part of more and more in the second half) and whoever was kicking around 20 yards up the park.

From about a minute after we got the third it was clear we needed to change tactics to stop the inevitable. We didn't do that.

At least we were entertained! When we play the way we can with passing and movement we are a good team. Lyle is a great acquisition. Still feel sorry for Doolan but hopefully he keeps his head up and gets back somewhere in the team.

When we started to play too defensive we dropped back and let them play more. Coupled with too many hoofs up the park where we lost possession there were too many spaces in midfield during the breakdown of attack to defence.

We could have won at the end as we still attacked before and after they had a man sent off. Forbes was putting in some good crosses minus some disappointing corners. SOD shot looked very close.

It's still a lot better than football a few years ago, I still enjoy watching this young team and I still believe we can climb the table. Bring on the next game.

We played Ross County at the worst possible time. A real six pointer with three key players from the same position all missing and County on the up having won their last two games and made signings that I'm pretty sure we couldn't afford. In particular I thought Kiss was excellent. So when you weigh it all up I don't think a draw was a terrible result and I'm really surprised at the extent of negative reaction on here.

And I don't understand people who think they know better than the manager on whether Fraser was ready to play (physically and psychologically), or want to criticise Muirhead or Craigen who worked hard and did okay in an unfamiliar position.

Good to see us clawing back St Mirren in recent weeks.

Can anyone tell me who the young player wearing no 22 on his shorts was who took part

in the pre match warm up.

He can really hit a ball with some venom

and really impressed me with his prematch shooting from the edge of the box.

One to watch if his general play is on par with his ability to strike a ball.

Fraser.

That's what I thought. The ever reliable BBC website described it as "skimming the post".

It was a couple of feet wide, just missed the back of side netting.

We blew the chance to put clear daylight between Ross County and ourselves, not to mention moving much closer to Killie and St Mirren. To be totally honest, I find myself at a loss in trying to describe our reaction to going two up yesterday. Immediately, we decided to stop passing the ball and copy Ross County's tactics of pumping long aimless balls up front, thus giving away possession continually. Unlike Adams,I'll credit our opposition with the nous and character to come back from being 2 behind in the second half of the game.

From a Thistle perspective, serious questions must be answered by the goalkeeper and the central defenders, not to mention Archie himself. It was obvious, that we were failing to respond to County's renewed sense of urgency after Lawless's goal. Why were changes not made immediately to counter this, FFS Archie and Shaggy were defenders so if we fans can see the team wilting in front of us then so can they, or one would assume so.

Having been to most games home and away this season yesterday felt curiously similar to the Boxing Day humping by Motherwell i.e. we were the masters of our own downfall combined with more experienced and frankly better opponents in key positions. Again, unlike Mr. Adams, I'm big enough to admit that yesterday showed that BOTH teams are where they deserve to be i.e. at the bottom end of the table.

However, we really must now win our games against Kilmarnock and St. Midden, not to mention get something from the St. Johnstone game at Fihill if we want to avoid the dreaded play off spot.

There was hardly any time to react before County scored their 2nd as they had possession for pretty much the whole 2 mins

Was not a good feeling walking away from Firhill with another game we should have won. Yet again the inexperience of the side was there for everybody to see. All 3 goals should have been prevented. As people have mentioned Fox should have saved two of the goals. The first goal did seem to take bobble just before Scot’s hand though. Second County goal I think Elliot? Seems to get in the way and he is possibly unsighted but he still should have got a hand to it. The defenders around him stood ball watching and failed to try to charge down the ball.

The problem in the side is our inexperience – none of the back four, goalkeeper and two defensive midfielders have any experience playing at this level and it really shows. Inexperienced players make more mistakes and it is really costing us.

Really hope Archie can bring in a centre back with experience of playing at this level, along with a central midfielder and attacking midfielder. If he could bring in good players in these positions I am sure we would have no trouble staying up. If it means paying a little over the odds for a good loan centre back then as a short term fix I think it would be worth it. County have done this and I think they will stay up. Looks like the play off battle is between us, St Mirren and Killie to me.

I feel both Higginbottom and ATS have not been given due to how well they played in this thread. I thought both were excellent with ATS putting in some excellent crosses.

I thought Taylor was excellent yesterday and still does not look 100% fit. He is strong, quick and good in the air. Really difficult player to play against and I expect him to very tightly marked after our opposition teams view his performance yesterday. We need other players like Lawless to take advantage of this.

The second half performance was at times us running about like headless chickens. County on the other hand passed the ball well and used the space of the park well to stretch us. Surprised that Fraser was not put on as I think he would have made a difference.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 2

I think Fox is getting a bit unfair criticism here. There was a bobble for the 1st. He made a good reflex save at the free kick in the 1st half. For the 2nd and 3rd the ball should not have got anywhere near him. ATS, I think, should have blocked the 2nd and at the 3rd, Gabby headed fresh air, Muirhead missed the tackle and Balatoni let the guy dance round him.

On the positive side, our goals were the kind we were scoring last year. For the 1st there were 4 touches in total from O'Donnell getting the ball just outside our penalty box, passing through the middle to Lawless, to Taylor who took one touch before firing past the keeper.

• Like 2

I hope they don't show this game around the world.

I am actually embarrassed for Fox and Gabby.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've just seen the highlights of Stoke v. Liverpool. Defending every bit as bad (particularly Liverpool's second) and poor keeping (Stoke's third). And these are paid a fortune. Embarrasing refereeing too!

I've just seen the goals again on Sportscene and Fox is definitely culpable for the first, and could have done a lot better at the second. Third is down to poor defending.

I am still convinced Fox needs a rest and Gallagher will command his box better and his experience will rub off on the defenders. He's a better communicator than Fox and continually speaks to his defence.

• Like 1

Someone posted here about a lot of us being glass half empty fans , but is it any wonder when we throw away another 2 points, we should be up there in the top six placings the way we've been the much better team when we've either lost or drawn , what is there in that to become glass half full ? take the red and yellow specs off ffs!!

• Like 1

I thought we showed something a little different for most of the first half. It looks like the guys are fighting for each other a little more, getting stuck in and winning the ball. The shape of the team broke down on too many occasions though, and I think that's partly due to having 2 defensive midfielders who don't play the position. Think Archie could have been a little more proactive once we scored the third. It was almost immediately obvious that we'd lose a goal. Good time to stop the game, freshen things up with someone off the bench and change the dynamic. That's a big maybe I suppose.

I wasn't a big fan of Lawless on Saturday and I'm surprised to see a few posts praising his performance. I've never seen a player so scared of being tackled or getting involved in a tackle. Decent option when in space and looking forward, but a man down (a man short?) when either defending or when we're looking for an option to relieve some pressure. We can't afford that sort of luxury at the moment, IMO.

• Members

I don't think we have a lot of options with regard to defensive midfielders at the moment. We have 3 at the Club that perform there best and all 3 were out on Saturday. I thought beforehand the game was there for the taking for Ross on Saturday but they sat off us and allowed us to play. If they had dominated the middle from the start, which they were more than capable of considering the options they had, they could have won easily. Their fans can have every right to be more upset with their manager's tactics than we do with ours on Saturday.

I don't think we have a lot of options with regard to defensive midfielders at the moment. We have 3 at the Club that perform there best and all 3 were out on Saturday. I thought beforehand the game was there for the taking for Ross on Saturday but they sat off us and allowed us to play. If they had dominated the middle from the start, which they were more than capable of considering the options they had, they could have won easily. Their fans can have every right to be more upset with their manager's tactics than we do with ours on Saturday.

Agree Will. I'm not slating the efforts of the 2 guys filling the position on Saturday at all, they just aren't accustomed to the position. Craigen tends to chase passes. That's a great quality in his usual role, but leaves a gap when playing deeper. Aero has a tendency to sink back into the defence, which is natural for him, but exposes that gap in the midfield again. Just having someone who knows when to sit and cover would have made a big difference there.

I thought we showed something a little different for most of the first half. It looks like the guys are fighting for each other a little more, getting stuck in and winning the ball. The shape of the team broke down on too many occasions though, and I think that's partly due to having 2 defensive midfielders who don't play the position. Think Archie could have been a little more proactive once we scored the third. It was almost immediately obvious that we'd lose a goal. Good time to stop the game, freshen things up with someone off the bench and change the dynamic. That's a big maybe I suppose.

I wasn't a big fan of Lawless on Saturday and I'm surprised to see a few posts praising his performance. I've never seen a player so scared of being tackled or getting involved in a tackle. Decent option when in space and looking forward, but a man down (a man short?) when either defending or when we're looking for an option to relieve some pressure. We can't afford that sort of luxury at the moment, IMO.

So his goal and quality ball through for Taylor means you think he contributed less than others? He wasn't at his best agreed but I am not too concerned if he isn't tackling like an Osborne for example. He usually creates something or retains possession, something that couldn't be said for many of his midfield colleagues on Saturday.

Your no slating the efforts of the 2 guys in the middle of midfield ( who were very poor) but you'll slate a player who scores 1 and sets 1 up. Also he has only scored 5 from midfield this season!

Mental!!!

You'll also be surprised that the papers gave him a decent rating.

Edited by JaggyMad

Someone posted here about a lot of us being glass half empty fans , but is it any wonder when we throw away another 2 points, we should be up there in the top six placings the way we've been the much better team when we've either lost or drawn , what is there in that to become glass half full ? take the red and yellow specs off ffs!!

Wouldn't the fact that our football has been worthy of a place in the top six (in your opinion) be a reason to be optimistic (or "glass half full")?

ffs

Edited by allyo