Thistle V Ross

The Cup

Archie is not the manager for us!! We have a good squad and he is doing fek all with it

He can't put the ball in the net, we should have 10-15pts more than we currently do. He's doing a good job, we're currently in a position in the league that I would take come the end of the season. We're no worse, & I'd say we are better than many of the teams around us (Hearts, Killie, Ross County, St. Mirren) with Hibs & St. Johnstone above us but easily beatable if we play well. It also has to be remembered these teams are paying 2, 3x what we do & as such they should be doing a lot better than they are.

• Like 3

From my seat at the back of the JHS Conrad's header chance in the first half looked a shocker of a miss.

Is that a bit harsh? How did it look from behind the goal in the North Stand?

Just feel that in our position and at this level scoring opportunities like that can't be wasted.

A sitter. He was totally unmarked.

I was looking at his face when the ball was coming over and he looked in utter shock.

The ball just bounced off his head. He put no direction on it at all.

He can't put the ball in the net, we should have 10-15pts more than we currently do. He's doing a good job, we're currently in a position in the league that I would take come the end of the season. We're no worse, & I'd say we are better than many of the teams around us (Hearts, Killie, Ross County, St. Mirren) with Hibs & St. Johnstone above us but easily beatable if we play well. It also has to be remembered these teams are paying 2, 3x what we do & as such they should be doing a lot better than they are.

Everybody is understandably frustrated but I think you have hit the nail on the head especially with the budget. Archie's number one target was Lyle Taylor during the summer we just couldnt get him. He is learning all the time and I think the way he has conducted himself in getting Lyle in and getting Gary Fraser has been highly more professional than some of the more experienced players. His main weakness to me is maybe being reluctant at dropping some players when they have not had good games and again he will learn from this. This season is a huge learning curve for Archie but if we stay up nothing less that a great sucess and he will have the experience to kick us on more from there.
  • Like 2

Another excessively negative thread in my opinion. A frustrating day maybe, but a draw with a main rival is not a reason for panic, just move on to the next game. My impression is that Thistle fans (on here) are reading far too much into every single game, quick to write people off, or hail them as our saviour, on the basis of one or two games. We're doing okay and it's all to play for.

Taylor looks great so far, and I agree that more experience at central defence would be an asset. Four points from two games, and five goals, suggests that we're at least getting past the real lean spell. thought County were pretty good.

• Like 1

The Balatoni and Piccolo pairing at the back does just not work. Defended like a pair of clowns today.

The lack of communication between players in the defence, in particular is a shambles. It's even more noticeable and apparent if you're in the North Stand. The only time Balatoni and Piccolo communicate is when they're moaning as to who is to blame for an opposition near miss/missed header/marker peeling off and nearly scoring incident.

County have in their team what we drastically need - experience, vocal presences over the pitch and a street wise mentality. From when we went 3v1 up to when Kettlewell was sent off was torture to watch for us. We completely shat it.

Archie's interview with the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/2570029

How many times have we heard the same old story from the gaffer?

And how many time do individual stupid mistakes in defence cost us valuable points? Stupid basic decision making and incidents Archie can do nothing about.

Edited by northernsoul

Yup, a frustrating afternoon that promosed so much.

Negatives:

1. Muirhead is not a very good defensive midfielder. Time and time again, instead of sitting in front of the back four, he backed into them, thus giving County the freedom to patrol our box, pick out passes and hit shots. I know this is like criticising a fish for its inability to climb trees, as Aero is a central defender, but it was relevant to the oucome of the match, as we lost control of the midfield as soon as County upped the pace. Hopefully this is the last time he's forced to be a fish out of water.

2. Following on from the above, the team needs to learn the importance of keeping its shape. When under pressure we panicked, camped in our own box and failed to push up when the opportunity arose.

3. Christie Elliot. He can run fast in a straight line and tries hard but he's not yet ready at this level.

4. Craigen. Similar to Muirhead, it's perhaps unfair to criticise him too much, as he prefers to play in a more advanced role, but I think he needs a rest. Hopefully the signing of Fraser will enable this. Loads of potential though.

5. When it's clear that we've lost midfield we need to change things quicker. County's goal was a long time coming.

Positives!

1. Lyle Taylor. I know it may seem harsh on Dools, but this guy is exactly what we need if we're going to play with one striker. When the ball is played up to him, it sticks; his link-up pkay is good; he's excellent in the air; and makes intelligent runs. Well done, Archie.

2. Higgy's headers. Other parts of his game were missing today but good lord can the guy jump. He won every single header against their right-back, who was a good few inches taller than him.

3. Wee Lawless seems to be back on form. Fantastic pass for Lyle's second.

4. ATS managed to put in a few decent crosses. (Of course, quite a few flew over the box, but let's focus on the positives!).

Spot on.

It looks like we now have someone who hits the ball hard on on target. His two goals were both bullets.

We desperately need someone who can organise the defence

And how many time do individual stupid mistakes in defence cost us valuable points? Stupid basic decision making and incidents Archie can do nothing about.

I wouldn't say Archie can do nothing about the situation. With the Manager and Assistant both being defenders, this nonsense should be drilled out of the players. These are mistakes that are expected the first few weeks into the season, not in January.

And if Archie cannot drill the mistakes out in training, then he as to draft replacements in, and preferably not the last week in January, but ASAP.

Another excessively negative thread in my opinion. A frustrating day maybe, but a draw with a main rival is not a reason for panic, just move on to the next game. My impression is that Thistle fans (on here) are reading far too much into every single game, quick to write people off, or hail them as our saviour, on the basis of one or two games. We're doing okay and it's all to play for.

Taylor looks great so far, and I agree that more experience at central defence would be an asset. Four points from two games, and five goals, suggests that we're at least getting past the real lean spell. thought County were pretty good.

It's not negative ... We were 3-1 up against an average team and threw it away with some amateur night defending and we have won at home all season

We all need to look at what's good and what needs improving and our defence has been shaky all season

I wouldn't say Archie can do nothing about the situation. With the Manager and Assistant both being defenders, this nonsense should be drilled out of the players. These are mistakes that are expected the first few weeks into the season, not in January.

And if Archie cannot drill the mistakes out in training, then he as to draft replacements in, and preferably not the last week in January, but ASAP.

Whilst I see the point you've put across, I don't agree that intensive training guarantees mistakes being cut out.

Once the players cross the white line it is up to them. Archie doesn't control their brains. We desperately lack a leader and a vocal presence on the pitch.

We desperately lack a leader and a vocal presence on the pitch.

This I completely agree with this. Fox can barely command his own box this weather, never mind the whole team.

At times there is no communication, and at other, all the defenders seem to be having a go at one another. What we need is a Harkins or Rowson like player to simply command the team and calm them down when we score.

Unfortunately that player isn't currently in our team, and I think Archie needs to be in the market for a Captain as well as a solid defender.

This I completely agree with this. Fox can barely command his own box this weather, never mind the whole team.

At times there is no communication, and at other, all the defenders seem to be having a go at one another. What we need is a Harkins or Rowson like player to simply command the team and calm them down when we score.

Unfortunately that player isn't currently in our team, and I think Archie needs to be in the market for a Captain as well as a solid defender.

I agree but harkins wasn't a leader! He was a talented lazy bam who while great on the ball, off it stood and watched guys like rowser scrap for it!

But I agree with ur point, no leader no captain and no bollocker. Ozzy was the man but what a loss.

How many points did Dundee or Dunfermline have after 21 game?

Dundee had 12 and were 9 behind Ross County (who had a game in hand on them) and 13 behind St Mirren (who had played a game more)

Dunfermline had 14 and were 4 behind Hibs and 8 behind ICT (both of whom had played a game more)

Hearts this season have won 13 points after 22 games.

Just saw the highlights.

Fox was at fault for County's first and second. Really poor stuff.

Their 3rd goal was horrific. More in a long line of embarrassing play for the defence.

Gabby can be good but he can also be appalling.

Woeful stuff overall. We worked hard for our goals but literally handed them theirs.

FFS - a lot of people have half empty glasses tonight!

Let's not forget that County have had decent results recently so arrived in confident mood. They also have a more experienced squad than us due to a bigger budget thanks to a sugar daddy chairman (who is obviously throwing money about to try and keep them up).

Yes it was very disappointing to lose a 2 goal lead (goalkeeper at fault for 2, defensive shambles for 3rd).

BUT

We are still 10th.

We are a point further ahead of Hearts

We are a point closer to Killie and St Mirren

So guys, relax. Not all doom and gloom.

Elliott, on the other hand, offers brawn, speed and agility: I really don't understand why so many seem to look down on him. Unlike Craigen, his passing is accurate and he tracks back to relieve the pressure on the defence.

Elliot's passing is accurate??? What game were you watching today??? He was rank and should have been hooked after half an hour. He was lucky Taylor saved his rank lack of control for the 3rd goal.

As for tracking back, you actually have to do something except just hang around. His inability to tackle, pressure or give an outlet gave them the freedom of that side of the pitch in the second half.

In fairness I blame Archie more than him.

Seriously thought of starting a new thread on Elliot alone. Some players have off games, some make individual errors but Elliot consistently offers zilch. Keep hearing about his pace and stretching defenses but it never happens. Runs about with lots of heart but no skill. First touch deplorable and never makes defence splitting passes. His selection in ANY game is my only criticism of Archie. He is an average div 1(as in the new div 1) player at best.