Are Goalkeepers Untouchable?

Big Col

A few games ago, I suggested that Fox should be replaced by Gallagher due to a dip in form, which ironically has come since he was named in the Scotland squad.

Beaten from distance at Parkhead due to poor positioning and beaten from distance today due to poor positioning. Second goal was a disgrace - should never be beaten at near post.

Poor kicking and looked shaky at crosses - no confidence.

With our defence being well nervous and dodgy, we need experience in that area and to me, that means putting Gallagher in the goal for next 3 games at least.

Thoughts?

Im wondering if Foxy is suffering from the loss of Hinchy as coach.There is basic errors in his game that are not being sorted out.Getting beat from distance far too easily is becoming too frequent.His footwork is very poor.He should look at videos of Nicky walker

Last season he was as strong one one one with a striker as any keeper ive seen but this season he always stops far too short instead of getting as close as he can and he then crouches into the smallest position possible and falls back on his backside.How he got into the Scotland squad amazes me.

What is most worrying is I think he is going backwards as a keeper technically .is this due to poor coaching. I love Foxy but I think there is a far better keeper in him than we are seeing this season.

• Like 1

Im wondering if Foxy is suffering from the loss of Hinchy as coach.There is basic errors in his game that are not being sorted out.Getting beat from distance far too easily is becoming too frequent.His footwork is very poor.He should look at videos of Nicky walker

Last season he was as strong one one one with a striker as any keeper ive seen but this season he always stops far too short instead of getting as close as he can and he then crouches into the smallest position possible and falls back on his backside.How he got into the Scotland squad amazes me.

What is most worrying is I think he is going backwards as a keeper technically .is this due to poor coaching. I love Foxy but I think there is a far better keeper in him than we are seeing this season.

good points and musings.

while we don't know the difference between gallacher and hinchy as gk coaches, from the outside looking in, it does seem there is marked contrast between the fox of 12/13 and 13/14. there is the argument of defense and foxy up against higher quality opposition, and how the defenders have not stepped up either, and what additional pressure that puts on fox, but irrespective of that, angry gazs points about foxys current shortcomings are all valid.

does that mean he should be dropped for gallacher (or we sign another keeper?), do a joe hart on him? not sure. i like the guy. but something needs to change. and for the better ..... soon ..... like, now.

today must go down as one of foxs worst goalkeeping displays in his career. bouncebackabilty proving time now.

I agree with re-introducing Gallacher. Besides Fox's poor recent form, he isn't exactly the best communicator either and we are totally absent of any leadership at the back. Gallacher is probably the only player in the entire squad with the type of experience most are crying out for. First and foremost he should come in to replace Fox as a result of the latter's poor form, but I'd also hope that he'd be better in keeping his defence organised and disciplined.

Dropping a keeper takes balls.

But Gallagher is a wise old head, a good goalie and I immeditately respect any keeper who takes pelters on the chin and gives a wee bit back which Gallagher has always done. As stated above it worked for Hart at Man City, Man Utd (De Gea), Arsenal (Sczesny) and Chelsea (Cech) have all dropped their main keepers for spells in recent seasons and they've all come back strongly. In fact you can't see any of them being replaced any time soon. I've convinced myself. Gallagher in.

How can we drop someone for a performance that gets him in the Sunday Mail team of the day ! Bizarre, even Fraser had a better game than Fox and think he should have saved our first goal. Cant remember Fox making a save a note and as others have stated looked dodgy on their first 2 goals and maybe even their 3rd

Think it's a chicken & egg thing.

Fox has saved us from bigger beatings earlier in the season, most notably against Aberdeen twice!!

But if you played behind a central defence that included Piccolo or Balatoni surely sooner or later your confidence must take a bit of a hammering.

New centre half that's needed to help with his confidence, not dropping him altogether.

I'd love to see the rationale behind that assertion.

Obviously, I can't back this assertion up with anything other than opinion, since I don;t have a photographic memory.

However, he has been at fault on numerous occasions, particularly failing to command his area. My name's not Dereck Adams, so I'm not trying to say the guys rubbish and I know he's kept us in games against Celtic for example. However, having seen the goals from yesterday again Fox acquitted himself poorly, in common with Ballatoni for one. Therefore, IMO both could do with being "rested" till they recover their form. Admittedly, as I doubt we've got nothing much better than either, but if we did, I'd be all for dropping them both. Like many Scottish goalkeepers I feel Fox is a great shot stopper, but he's also a confirmed vampyre and his attitude to crosses closely resembles a certain Eastern European fictional nobleman.

Foxy's a very good keeper with the potential to grow into an outstanding one but it might be good for the team to bring in Gallacher for a while just to see if all that experience he has would be helpful. As I have said elsewhere on the forum this morning, our team is just so damn young and inexperienced, perhaps having an old hand like Gallacher could help the boys out!

Fox is struggling a bit for form but Archie's got to balance any decision to drop him with the potential impact that that would have on his confidence long term. Unlike all the experts on here who play Football Manager or Fifa 14 and think they're Jose Mourinho.

It's an individual thing, just coz it worked for Joe Hart doesn't mean it would work for Scott Fox. I don't know Scott Fox personally and can't really judge.

Edited by allyo

Think it's a chicken & egg thing.

Fox has saved us from bigger beatings earlier in the season, most notably against Aberdeen twice!!

But if you played behind a central defence that included Piccolo or Balatoni surely sooner or later your confidence must take a bit of a hammering.

New centre half that's needed to help with his confidence, not dropping him altogether.

Probably both.