Lee Mair Signs

The Mighty Quinn

I'm happy enough with this. Mair provides plenty of experience and will be a good short team option at the very least. Knows this league very well. Would be keen to see him start tomorrow as he sounds fit. Good to get him in before tomorrow's match since after Archie came out the other day about how hard it's been to get his targets, I thought we'd have a nervous wait for our next signing.

I think this is a solid signing. Knows this end of the league and what is required from the off. His experience might rub off on a few of the younger lads too.

At the start of the season, I thought only Ozzy and Higgy looked as sharp as they should be at this level right away. The others were playing well, but a few were being caught on the ball, or just a little slack in the tackle at times, still adjusting to the step up. They're learning fast, but the value of bringing in a couple of guys who know what the division is about was obvious. Hopefully Lee can bring a bit of this to the backline too.

Decent enough signing considering what's available for our budget and he has a good level of experience in this league. Previous ex-Buddy centre-halves include Brian Martin, Kevin McGowne and Ian Maxwell. A mixed bag when they graced Firhill but I will take a solid player who can organise our backline and influence those around him.

Potential captain material?

Edited by jagfox

Nah centre midfield PT, also he went to Paisley after us. You may be thinking of Tommy Turner who played sweeper for St Mirren after he left us in the late(?)90s?

wasn't thinking about the moving to/from thing, just had it in my head he played CH for us....

here's the full list of players who have played for both clubs.

Billy Abercromby, Eddie Annand, John Baird, David Barron, Dougie Bell, Jimmy Bone, Julian Broddle, Alex Burns, David Byrne, Ian Cameron, Martin Cameron, Chic Charnley, Mark Corcoran, Craig Dargo, Andy Dunlop, Robert Dunn, Davie Elliot, Wayne Foster, Paul Gallacher, Brian Gallacher, Eddie Gallagher, Ricky Gillies, Billy Hainey, Brian Hamilton, Derek Hamilton, Jim Hamilton, Gary Harkins, Scott Harvie, Jim Herriot, John Hillcoat, Craig Hinchcliffe, Billy Johnston, Paul Kinnaird, Bobby Law, Danny Lennon, Alan Logan, Peter Mackie, Lee, Mair, Brian Martin, Ian Maxwell, John McCormack, Donny McDowall, Kenny McDowall, Kevin McGowne, Paul McIntyre, Ally McLean, Scott McLean, Mark McWalter, Ross Meechan, Shuggie Murray, Ian Nicolson, Gary Peebles, Jose Quitongo, Ian Reid, Mark Roberts, Andy Roddie, Ian Ross, Allan Russell, Geordie Shaw, Doug Somner, Gardner Spiers, Billy Thomson, Rab Torrance, Tommy Turner, Paul Walker

I think this is a solid signing. Knows this end of the league and what is required from the off. His experience might rub off on a few of the younger lads too.

:thinking:

couldn't the same have been said 6 months ago, when mark kerr was signed? :unknw:

not going to comment on mairs abilities or pass judgement on him until seen him play a few times for us (as i did with kerr). could be part of our jigsaw of saviours. could not be. time will tell.

as an aside, it seems mair and kerr have a habit of following one another around and being at same club together often (usually mair joining club kerr is already at).

furthermore, mair leaves club year before kerr leaves same club on each occassion where their careers have matched up to now.

hmmm.

clubs they have both played for are as follows:

kerr ..... 1998–2003 ..... falkirk

mair ..... 2001–2002 ..... falkirk

kerr ..... 2003–2008 ..... dundee utd

mair ..... 2005–2007 ..... dundee utd

kerr ..... 2008–2010 ..... aberdeen

mair ..... 2007–2009 ..... aberdeen

kerr ..... 2012–???? ..... ptfc

mair ..... 2013–???? ..... ptfc

eta: they both also played for dundee, but at opposite ends of their careers .... mair started at dundee in 1999, while kerr was there last season.

also, archie was at d.utd 2003--2007.

old pals act? or astute piece of business and just what the jags need right now?

Edited by yoda-jag

Yeah, decent signing. A wealth of Premiership experiance, so exactly what we are after.

Certainly not a medium/long term signing, as he probably only has a year or so of solid game time left in him, but if he keeps us in the SPFL this season, we can do business in the summer.

Good luck lee.

We need cover in central defence, especially if Muirhead plays in midfield, so this signing makes sense given our limited budget.

With Osbourne out for months and Welsh out for at least three more weeks, another midfielder (possibly on loan) would be useful.