Archie Gets It At Last

watties wallies

Agree with all the positive posts on this thread and would like to advise the pant wetters to cut it out and get behind Archie and the team he's building up. We all need to remember that we are the rookies in this league and as such we shouldnt expect too much from them , and get behind them again as we did last year as the 12th man to help keep us in the top flight , so , onwards and upwards , lets hear it for The Jags !

Edited by Harry Wragg

Think we should start with taylor doolan and erskine just go for it!

Take it to teams right from the start and if it works and we get a lead then we can go a bit more defensive to close out the game put

Gallagher

McMillan - Mair - Balatoni - ATS

Erskine - Fraser - Bannigan - Higgy

Doolan - Taylor

• Like 1

Think we should start with taylor doolan and erskine just go for it!

Take it to teams right from the start and if it works and we get a lead then we can go a bit more defensive to close out the game put

Gallagher

McMillan - Mair - Balatoni - ATS

Erskine - Fraser - Bannigan - Higgy

Doolan - Taylor

Apart from having SOD at right back I'd love to see a team along these lines. To all the moaning numpties who've wanted us to "get the baw up the park", Recent games have showed that when we hit sticky patches in a game, its almost inevitable that some playera will simply lump the ball forward in the hope of finding Taylor, which is franlly a waste of time. Our real strength lies in having players who are comforatble on the ball and in the main can use it. The games against Motherwell and Aberdeen are in all honesty games noone outside of Firhill will be expecting us to take anything from. Therefore, we've got a wee bit of to try out a thing or two.

I thought Doolan did really well when he came on at the weekend. Taylor already looked a bit tired by that point. I'd give him a rest this weekend, because I would like to see the link up play between Doolan and Erskine - they have a good understanding. We won't go 2 up top away from home, when our away form has been better all season.

Baffled by the criticism of Elliot and I'm not sure how anyone could call for Higgy to be dropped. Mental. I wasn't keen on hearing Elliot's name in the lineup on Saturday, but he put in a power of work, won a lot of balls and pressed their defence, especially second half. He will drop out this weekend in favour of Erskine, but he deserves credit for a decent game.

I thought Doolan did really well when he came on at the weekend. Taylor already looked a bit tired by that point. I'd give him a rest this weekend, because I would like to see the link up play between Doolan and Erskine - they have a good understanding. We won't go 2 up top away from home, when our away form has been better all season.

Baffled by the criticism of Elliot and I'm not sure how anyone could call for Higgy to be dropped. Mental. I wasn't keen on hearing Elliot's name in the lineup on Saturday, but he put in a power of work, won a lot of balls and pressed their defence, especially second half. He will drop out this weekend in favour of Erskine, but he deserves credit for a decent game.

Last week it was Craigen, this week it's Elliot, next week there will be some other scapegoat. C'est la vie, malheureusement.

Last week it was Craigen, this week it's Elliot, next week there will be some other scapegoat. C'est la vie, malheureusement.

Well players do have have good games and bad games and their form can vary

Craigan needs a rest which I am sure will do him good but he's one for the the future

Elliott just isn't a player at this level on a consistent basis

No everything on Saturday was great particularly in the first half, the fact that Archie took off Macmillan shows he knew that as well

Taylor is quoted in the evening times to start with a forward two. It makes sense. We play too many midfielders with the same ideas. Drop Elliot and bring in Doolan, its the obvious answer

So who also misses out? I am in favour of Doolan and Taylor having game time together, even starting. I just ain't too sure that for instance Erskine should be on the bench.

So who also misses out? I am in favour of Doolan and Taylor having game time together, even starting. I just ain't too sure that for instance Erskine should be on the bench.

Higginbotham has been flattering to deceive for a while.

Banzo, Prince and Fraser (or Craigen, Welsh, Moncur) in the middle of the park, Erskine behind Taylor and Doolan. Lawless, Higginbotham and Elliot gives us all sorts of attacking options from the bench if needed. Liverpool and Man Utd have found ways to play 2 strikers this season, no reason we can't as well.

• Like 1

Fox/Gal

SOD Muirhead/Balatoni Mair Sinclair

Higgy/Fraser Prince Bannigan

Erskine

Doolan Taylor

Watch us climb the league with that team. Elliot shouldnt get near starting a game again this season, maybe as others have said, come off the bench as an impact kinda player as thats all hes ever been good for.

Edited by MonehJags
  • Like 1

higgy is not a team player, He plays for himself NOT the team time to give him a rest.

Higgy works as hard as anyone in the team. Sure he tries some daft skills at times which don't come off, but when he loses the ball he bursts a gut to get it back. Up at tynecastle a few weeks ago, he won numerous headers, flicking the ball on for Taylor most of the time, including for the big mans goal. How is that "playing for himself"?

Not to mention his extremely unselfish assist for our third goal against County. Christ, our players were being lambasted for trying to walk the ball into the net earlier in the season and now the one player who isn't afraid to have a pop from distance is being slated for it. Sure, there may have been occasions when a pass was on, but I think that's poor decision making rather than self-centeredness.

Edited by Dark Passenger

Higgy had three players on him at most times in the last few home games.

What we need is players supporting him as that suggests there are gaps to exploit in the opposition.

I don't think he is selfish, a lot of the time if he breaks noone is there to pass to. For the United goal only Taylor was in the box and the ball broke to Robertson and the rhs of the team was caught on the backfoot. Something we need to sort out, imo.

Higginbotham normally looks up to see a single striker in the box surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders. We don't have players who lurk on the edge of the box so he can go backwards to a sitting midfielder (who will just pass the ball out to SOD on the other side slowing everything down) or pass to Sinclair who can then fire a hopeful box into said loan striker. If he wants to come in and shoot now and again more power to him. Fraser likes a long range shot, it's only really those 2 that hit them from distance. I'm hping Moncur is the same, young English players appear to be more willing to have a go from distance.

He hasn't been as effective recently but at least offers a glimmer of hope. I'd only really be dropping him to accomodate 2 strikers and Erskine, you could play all 4 but Archie isn't going to be doing that unless things get really desperate at the end fo the season.

Without any evidence whatsoever, I think Higgingbotham is a numpty and should be released from his contract immediately and any money saved should go either to extending Elliot's contract or better still buying back Ross Forbes!

Seriously,I have been critical of Higgingbotham myself for failing to score as many goals as he should, however we#ve got to get real and remember that he's playing for a team that like it or not is second bottom of the league. That very point may suggest that the problems are somewhat more involved than the form or lack of it of one player. Personally, I think Higgingbotham has been our most dangerous player this season, which actually say's quite a lot. That said he does seem to be guilty of overplaying constanly, again an accusation that could be levelled at our entire team.

If we have someone better even for a while to give him a wee break/shake then by all means drop hom. However, at the moment I remain unconvinced of this.

To be fair we footbal supporters are notoriously fickle and today's heroes are all too often tomorow's villains.