Post Split Fixtures

Lenziejag

Potentially looking at 3 away(Hibs, Killie, Hearts), 2 home (County & St Mirren).

Due to us playing Hearts so close to the split, i'm going to suggest Hearts away last game of the season, i'd also suggest the midweek second last game will be at home to St Mirren to give County a Saturday travel down to Glasgow.

Sat 19th April: Killie or Hibs away

Sat 26th April: Ross County home

Sat 3rd May: Killie or Hibs away

Wed 7th May: St Mirren home

Sat 10th May: Hearts away

Just sat for 5 minutes of my lunch break and managed to get 1 game away from a complete fixture list. However, in my fixture list killie have a free week 2 whilst county have a free week 3. cant fit that game in.

Edited by potty trained

Have to say that I think the split is brilliant entertainment. I know people complain about the fairness etc, but it makes very little difference when considered over the course of a season in my opinion. You just have to get on with it. But these four games against the four teams in direct competition are going to be huge. I know I'm going to hate every minute of it, but you can't argue that it doesn't make for a very exciting end to the season.

One thing to add on the "fairness" though. Is it the luck of the draw, or is someone actually sitting down and making a conscious decision that, say, we're getting fewer (or more) home games than St Mirren? The first scenario I can easily accept. The second is a bit more dodgy.

Edited by allyo

I know people complain about the fairness etc, but it makes very little difference when considered over the course of a season in my opinion. You just have to get on with it.

While i know what you mean, I feel that it could make a significant difference. Imagine being in a two way dog fight to avoid 11th and on the last day, a point ahead, you play them away, but for the 3rd time.

It wouldn't be that hard to (roughly) predict the bottom half of the league and schedule the fixtures accordingly to have the final set of games between those teams. Remember it is the same prediction that is used to schedule up the first 33 round of matches, in an effort to keep the final 5 fair.

One thing to add on the "fairness" though. Is it the luck of the draw, or is someone actually sitting down and making a conscious decision that, say, we're getting fewer (or more) home games than St Mirren? The first scenario I can easily accept. The second is a bit more dodgy.

It is the second. If it was luck, then the law of averages would have meant that a previous Glasgow derby would have ended with 3 away at some point in the past. It never has.

See also the link I posted above for an insight into the type of thinking that probably has to go into it.

Thanks, and apologies for not looking at that previously. I still say that league places are determined over a season, not just the last game, so I'm not too concerned about any unfairness. But I'd still prefer to see a straight draw determine who gets two and three home games after the split (and who gets an extra home game before the split). Obviously it may give slight advantage to some teams, but at least it would not be open to claims of bias etc.

There are imbalances throughout sport, the best weather in a golf tournament, the best lane in a race, decisions that go for or against you (hopefully given honestly). But if these are randomly applied they are inherently fair. If they are manipulated they are not.

I'd say the old firm, and their over sensitivity to everything, has probably driven this.

Edited by allyo

So based on previous fixtures we should be playing 2 home games and 3 aways. We "should" avoid another trip to Dingwall.

But - would we accept another trip to Dingwall if it meant we had 3 home games rather than 2?

I definitely would, they haven't beaten us all season and if we were to go up there and get another draw I would be delighted.