The Worst Referees Ever ?

Camallain

Examples of good refereeing:

1) Euan Norris, for getting "Cornergate" right on our first visit to Inverness this season.

2) Willie Young for defusing an angry situation at Brockville (I think in our last but one promotion season) when a Falkirk player collapsed mysteriously in our penalty box under an innocuous challenge. Willie looked at the Thistle fans in the away end and laid his head on folded hands in a gesture to indicate that the player had fallen asleep. Nice bit of humour which got everyone smiling again.

The Willie Young one is one of the best examples of refereeing I've ever seen. We were in the terracing giving it the full 'cheat! , cheat!' And Dracula just turned round, smiled sweetly and....

can anyone name a genuinely competent, fair and unbiased referee from the last 10 years? or 20? or 30? or at all?

must be some, but can't think of any right now.

I'd say Hugh Dallas was consistantly not awful.Dont think any of his performances were ever driven by any sort of bias.Even though the Unwashed hated him I always thought it was more down to their paranoia than what actually happened on the pitch. Can't remember him ever having any real stinkers against us.

Edited by angry gaz

As someone on here pointed out a couple of years ago ......

"Willie" "Column" is actually a pair of nobs all by himself. :sarcastic:

I'd argue that Boaby Mann is too.

Eta - oh right, it's Madden. Ah well

Edited by allyo

It doesn't say much when the current assistant refs are the next generation of first grade refs.

Not that I was disappointed to see Hibs 'goal' chalked off but that was a belter. Not even close.

There's been a few at Firhill this season running the line at the JHS stand who seem unsure of which way a corner or throw in going never mind having a grasp of the offside rule. They also seem reluctant, for want of a better word, to assist despite that being their official title these days & also fact their all mic-ed to each other.

Booby for me last season against both Falkirk away & Morton at Firhill was the I'd seen since Cassidy.

FIFA ref? Mind you when him, Thompson & Collum are the best, it doesn't say much about the rest.

Strangely one refereeing perfomance that sticks in my mind was Bobby Davidson from Airdire of all places. Against Dumbarton at Boghead in 1975 he almost single handedly gave every vital decision in our favour. He denied Dumbarton a blatant penalty, sent off their centre half for arguing about it and then denied the 10 men a perfectly good equaliser. Naturally we won 1 - 0, suppose bad refs cut both ways to be fair!

I know a psychologist who works with SFA referees. He's often at matches observering their performance, and is able to listen in on their discussions during the match. He then meets with them during the week to discuss how they did. From what I gather the psychologist's role in all of this is all about the refs' body language, how to look resolute and confident in their decisions. Even if they get a decison wrong (often)they should never show that they have any doubt. No wonder they come across as arrogant!