17's Win Against Rangers In Glasgow Cup

billko

Great win for the 17's last night against Rangers at Lochinch

Rangers beat Thistle 7-0 the last time the two sides met who are a very strong side physically and the two squads warming up looked like two different age groups.

The pitch at Lochinch a couple of weeks ago was shortened about 12 yards and speaking with one of the Thistle boys he said this would suit them more than Rangers due to the longer ball game Rangers play.

Well done to the young Jags last night and great result against a team full of full time players.

Nothing on the Thistle official site yet but the Rangers official site have the young Jags as deserved winners.

http://rfcyouths.wor...defeat-for-17s/

http://thistleweir.c...the_glasgow_cup

Edited by billko
  • Like 3

Rangers beat Thistle 7-0 the last time the two sides met who are a very strong side physically and the two squads warming up looked like two different age groups.

The pitch at Lochinch a couple of weeks ago was shortened about 12 yards and speaking with one of the Thistle boys he said this would suit them more than Rangers due to the longer ball game Rangers play.

Well done to the young Jags last night and great result against a team full of full time players.

Nothing on the Thistle official site yet but the Rangers official site have the young Jags as deserved winners.

That's a very encouraging report. Coming from a Rangers web page as well. Quite damning of Rangers. While Thistle are encouraging all levels to play good football, it sounds like their club ethos is to hoof the ball up to big bruisers up front. I wonder if they bring in McCulloch to show them his famous back in to the defender and fall down trick.

Edited by thisal

That's a very encouraging report. Coming from a Rangers web page as well. Quite damning of Rangers. While Thistle are encouraging all levels to play good football, it sounds like their club ethos is to hoof the ball up to big bruisers up front. I wonder if they bring in McCulloch to show them his famous back in to the defender and fall down trick.

The guy who does the reports is always very fair in giving his view on the Rangers youth matches

He has also been quite outspoken at times in the way the Rangers youths are developed and good on him for speaking his mind against those who are in charge of these young lads development.

Rangers are very strong at all youth age groups but to me as they get older the less football is played and a more direct style is used and it is just the way of Scottish football to be honest and where we are going wrong in the game here.

People are trying to create athlete's first and footballers second and this is where change of mindset is needed but Thistle are a club who have football development and players encouraged to get the ball and express themselves as the main priority.

This is a huge result in the youth circles and one which will raise a few eyebrows and all credit to Scott Allison and Peter Macdonald who coach the 17's who deserve enormous credit as do all the players for getting this result.

Hopefully another positive sign that shows the Thistle Weir Youth set up under Head of Academy Director Gerry Britton and Head of Youth Scott Allison is going in the right direction.which i think it is :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

Rangers had to beat Thistle last night to guarantee a final place but when this didn't happen to reach the final they needed Celtic to beat Queens Park which they did today winning 3-0

Glasgow Cup final U17's will be contested by Rangers and Celtic probably behind closed doors due to the problems the last time the sides met.

Still doesn't take anything away from the young Jags performance last night which has got alot of folk talking good things about Partick Thistle. :)

Rangers are very strong at all youth age groups but to me as they get older the less football is played and a more direct style is used and it is just the way of Scottish football to be honest and where we are going wrong in the game here.

People are trying to create athlete's first and footballers second and this is where change of mindset is needed

As much as Im happy to see sevco duff ,at any level, hearing stuff like that should worry everyone involved with Scottish football.Sevco will have some of Scotlands most promising youngsters and they are being brought up in a footballing environment like that, i'ts really pathetic.

How many generations of young players are going to lost to this kind of attitude before , as Billko says, there is a change in mindset.Football from forty years ago.

As much as Im happy to see sevco duff ,at any level, hearing stuff like that should worry everyone involved with Scottish football.Sevco will have some of Scotlands most promising youngsters and they are being brought up in a footballing environment like that, i'ts really pathetic.

How many generations of young players are going to lost to this kind of attitude before , as Billko says, there is a change in mindset.Football from forty years ago.

The guy who does the official youth reports for Rangers describes Rangers youths playing a style of football that is "prehistoric" and worries that the 13's and 14's of Rangers will get the talent coached out them.

These two teams are probably the best at their age groups in the country but it wouldn't suprise me either if they were ruined.

The OF do get the best talent and try to buy or steal everyone elses with very few boys ever getting the chance to a pathway to the first team.

Parents can't see past these clubs and are blinkered thinking everything else is a step down which is total nonsense.

Rangers are a perfect example of how to waste youth players in that virtually none have had a chance even when dropping down the leagues.

This would tell me as a parent of a Rangers youth player that my kid has virtually no chance of it happening in the future as they move up the leagues

At Thistle that pathway is in place and player development is the way forward for the club.

This and the Academy not wanting to develop footballing robots surely is a good sign of things to come.

Edited by billko

The guy who does the official youth reports for Rangers describes Rangers youths playing a style of football that is "prehistoric" and worries that the 13's and 14's of Rangers will get the talent coached out them.

These two teams are probably the best at their age groups in the country but it wouldn't suprise me either if they were ruined.

The OF do get the best talent and try to buy or steal everyone elses with very few boys ever getting the chance to a pathway to the first team.

Parents can't see past these clubs and are blinkered thinking everything else is a step down which is total nonsense.

Rangers are a perfect example of how to waste youth players in that virtually none have had a chance even when dropping down the leagues.

This would tell me as a parent of a Rangers youth player that my kid has virtually no chance of it happening in the future as they move up the leagues

At Thistle that pathway is in place and player development is the way forward for the club.

This and the Academy not wanting to develop footballing robots surely is a good sign of things to come.

Fair play to you billko. Great to hear from a non-jags fan who isn't overly biased towards PTFC to start with like the rest of us.

We really are starting to have a club to be proud of in so many areas.

Edited by ian_mac

Fair play to you billko. Great to hear from a non-jags fan who isn't overly biased towards PTFC to start with like the rest of us.

We really are starting to have a club to be proud of in so many areas.

I'm overly biased when it comes to the Academy teams Ian :)

Great review, the writer is clearly not the odious Mark Dingwall.

I see Anton McGuigan was in the squad I wonder if that's Mark McGuigans brother