Just In V St Mirren

stillresigned

Once again we've dropped two points where we should really comfortably should have had three. Haven't seen a replay of the penalty, but it was at the very least a very soft award, The only reason I could see for it being a penalty was that Higgy was in totally the wrong position to make a challenge and Thomson made a performance of falling down , a performance that the refereee was only too happy to reward with a spot kick.

It really , really pisses me off that we are constantly shipping points to very ordinary teams. Though, for once it wasn't the defence to blame.

• Like 1

I thought at the time it was soft, watched ALBA footage when I got home and to be fair it probably was a penalty. I think a draw was fair - there were spells we were under their cosh. Really lost the game in midfield, outmuscled by a far more physical team. Quiet games from Craigen and Erskine left all the work to Higgy who is only one man. Man of the match by far.

Got to give credit to Balatoni, he was outstanding in the second half. As was Doolan in the first half. I think we have to stop with the Elliot sub, Lawless is more effective and more likely to score.

Three points would of been great, but any one of us would of jumped at the chance for 4 points from these two games. On course to stay clear of playoffs. Bit of a meh feeling after that but can take a lot from that game against a physical St Mirren.

Happy enough with a point - the kind of games we've lost a few times this season.

However, should've been up at HT (what time was on the clock when the pen was given? Seemed like way after 45mins) & could've snatched it at the end.

As Archie said on the wireless, if we can take something from every game, we'll be OK.

Oh, and the referee tonight was awful. They got every decision in the first half and were pulling shirts, shoving etc all match - nothing. We're still comparatively naive (even the challenge made for the pen looked a dubious decision - no danger whatsoever) and will need to get a bit more 'professional' next season.

Not too disappointed, but definitely a chance missed tonight against a pretty dire St Mirren team.

• Like 2

That was a grim basement battle; the ball hardly touched the deck in the second half. We should have taken all three points given our dominance for large parts of the first half and for the number of chances created overall. Positives: I thought Banzo was good in the first half along with the sublime Higgy, and Doolan put in a good shift until being replaced by Taylor, who looked dangerous. McMillan also looked more assured than has previously been the case. Negatives: Craigen was anonymous as usual, Bauben was miles off the pace and Erskine had one of those days where nothing was working for him.

This is going to go right to the wire.

• Like 2

kinda enjoyed that; surprised at the doom and gloom posts on some of the threads here. We lost it totally for the last few mins of the first half, but once worst-instagram-poster-of-all-time Bauben was hooked the 2nd half got better and better.

Erskine very subdued (we all all love the guy, but with the exception of a few flashes last Sat he has been poor since the Hibs game; come on Chris!) and McMillan struggled in the first half - but other than that we looked fine.

4 pts from those two games? got to be happy with that.

Good, big, noisy crowd tonight too, which was great. That will mean that our average home crowd this year will finish over 5000: imagine saying that 2 or 3 years ago?

One win from the Edinburgh double header and we should be sorted.

Really enjoyed it tonight. I'm happy enough with the draw but I think we just edged it and maybe deserved the win. Higgys cross for the goal was exceptional! And I loved the way he came to the stand to celebrate with us. And he came to applaud us at the end.

Was sitting next to Stephen odonnell and my daughter had her picture taken with him. What a lovely bloke and thanks for doing that. Hope to see him back on the pitch soon.

We're still in this!

If you look at the "foul" that led to the penalty, the St Mirren player decides to go down in the box as soon as he's challenged. Anyone caught unawares and falling forward on to the ground puts out his/her arms for protection - without even thinking about it. A player not doing so, but splaying the arms instead and hitting the ground with his torso is acting. :red_card:, but the last time I can remember seeing that given for diving in the box was a particularly blatant one in a cup game at Tynecastle, when Kenny Arthur did not touch the offender at all.

Strangely enough, about 88 or 89 minutes in, another player was brought down well inside the penalty box - only this time it was a Partick Thistle player, brought down by the goalkeeper. (I wasn't particularly aware of this, but my other half spotted it on TV, and sure enough, it looked like the player had been brought down deliberately in the box.)

We often complain about the low standards of play in the top-flight game in Scotland, and also about inconsistent officials: could there be a connection?

If you look at the "foul" that led to the penalty, the St Mirren player decides to go down in the box as soon as he's challenged. Anyone caught unawares and falling forward on to the ground puts out his/her arms for protection - without even thinking about it. A player not doing so, but splaying the arms instead and hitting the ground with his torso is acting. :red_card:, but the last time I can remember seeing that given for diving in the box was a particularly blatant one in a cup game at Tynecastle, when Kenny Arthur did not touch the offender at all.

Strangely enough, about 88 or 89 minutes in, another player was brought down well inside the penalty box - only this time it was a Partick Thistle player, brought down by the goalkeeper. (I wasn't particularly aware of this, but my other half spotted it on TV, and sure enough, it looked like the player had been brought down deliberately in the box.)

We often complain about the low standards of play in the top-flight game in Scotland, and also about inconsistent officials: could there be a connection?

Just watched it - would've been soft, but no softer than the one they got.

Higginbotham will rightly be praised for the cross that led to the goal, but Doolan did marvellously well to get into that position in the first place, and secondly to place the ball just beyond the keeper's reach. He really has been on fire lately. :head_ball::ptfc:

Yeah, my daughter said she didn't watch the higgy cross, she just kept her eyes fixed on fools and said she knew he was going to score.

He will never get the recognition he deserves but dools is a superb player

• Like 1

The question surely must be why was higgy near the box? We had not one player sitting on the half way line pulling a couple of st mirren players out. That was the second time in a row that happened in the last ten of the first half.

Penalty for me, trying to get the ball through the player. centre forwards tackle. With three defenders in front of the st mirren player to beat with his shot.

Thought Archie had finally got it when subbing buaben for Fraser and taking erskine off.....only to Bring on Elliott rather than Taylor. Once Taylor came on he created plenty of good chances which, dools been on the field, would have surely resulted in the winer.

Never mind a draws better than getting beat, depending on results over the next two days.

A point is a point is a point, and we could have had all three if Mair had got his header on target.

The weather was particularly foul in the second half, so it's not surprising that the game deteriorated.

Good atmosphere in the North Stand and a sublime goal from Doolan.

Pretty good all round, not that you won't hear the usual suspects not complaining.

Onto Easter Road and we'll hump the hapless Hibs.

- highlights, still soft.

Or stupid play by the thistle player? When jim Goodwin is throwing himself about like a fairy, how do u think the rest of the team will react? The last ten of the first half we were shocking, the only annoying thing was it was a penalty which gallagher nearly got too ( well taken by the st mirren player).

I've never put myself in the Happy Clapper category but I thought that was an entertaining enough game.

Slow start then we bossed the game for most of the first half - Higgy's cross and Dool's header was a thing of beauty. I was thinking that Bauben was looking better than previously, playing deeper but he was caught dwelling on the ball and we then got hemmed in for the last five minutes of the half. I was too far away to see but it looked a soft penalty with the guy very keen to go down.

Why does Gallagher not throw the ball out quickly to the full-backs - although MacMillan never looks for this - he nearly always holds on to the ball then punts it up the park. He seemed to find Goodwin's bald napper with unfailing accuracy for a spell in the second half. We finished stonger and caused problems when we passed sharply and ran at their defence. We must have had about 20 corners - if we could work out a way of scoring from them we would be challenging for a European spot.

In fairness, Saints broke dangerously on a few occasions in the second half after looking a bit rattled earlier. From what I've seen they are the best of the rest in the bottom six. I'm in denial about the League Table and us ending up in the play-off - , we haven't looked like the 11th best side in the division...though in the Hearts game we looked the 12th best side.

Balatoni was excellent in the second half - he didn't look good enough earlier in the season but has stepped up his game. I like Craigen but he was a bit anonymous tonight. Erskine wasn't great but I alway think he might do something special...I never feel that when Elliot comes on.

Bit of a disappointing turnout from Thistle fans tonight - where were you? Watching it on Alba and moaning judging by some of the posts on here.

• Like 1