League Cup 2Nd Round

Thistle_1876

I note there’s still no sponsor for this farcically organised competition. And who can blame them? Once again, five member clubs are simply ushered in to the Round of 16, whilst the draw throughout is seeded to within an inch of its life. Heck, they’ve even started sequencing the order of home and away pull outs. Feckin’ cockwombles the lot of ‘em. How did we ever let them get away with doing this to our League Cup?

Without further ado, they should revert to an all-in, random draw format. R1: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd, East Stirling v Celtic, that sort of thing. If Rangers and Celtic don’t like it, Rangers and Celtic can do one.

As it stands, this staid format is positively anti-sport.

• Like 3

I note there’s still no sponsor for this farcically organised competition. And who can blame them? Once again, five member clubs are simply ushered in to the Round of 16, whilst the draw throughout is seeded to within an inch of its life. Heck, they’ve even started sequencing the order of home and away pull outs. Feckin’ cockwombles the lot of ‘em. How did we ever let them get away with doing this to our League Cup?

Without further ado, they should revert to an all-in, random draw format. R1: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd, East Stirling v Celtic, that sort of thing. If Rangers and Celtic don’t like it, Rangers and Celtic can do one.

As it stands, this staid format is positively anti-sport.

I am inclined to agree.

The irony is the seeding is meant to encourage sponsorship so the sponsor gets maximum exposure during games featuring "big teams" in the semis and the final.

Looking forward to the Morton game, partly because I remember well the arrogance that the Ton fans (and then-manager) displayed during our league winning season. They really believed they'd be going up and that they were "much, much better" than us.

Also, never has a character in Scottish football been so suited by, or closely identified with, his nickname, as Doncaster the Cockwomble. Anytime I see or hear him in the media I think "cockwomble". Where's your sponsors, Neil? What do you do all day??

Does anyone know why Sellick and Sevco aren't listed as per the BBC? Is this a mistake, are their players all washing their hair that night, or is it some sneaky Orange/Jesuitical plot of which absolutely no good will come? I genuinely don't know and would be fretful for any pointers.

Returning, to the substantive issue, Morton away SHOULD be an eminently winnable game for us, but going by our recent poor run of form in cup competitions. Not to mention that the history of Partiçk Thistle Football Club is littered withe the ghosts of Jags teams who have failed to win other so called easy games.

Clubs playing in Europe don't come into the draw until the following round I think. Sevco have still to play their 1st round tie v Queens Park. Queens then play ICT in the 2nd round.

Where else but the SPFL would the fixtures be backing up in the first week of the season. Well done Doomcaster. Embarrassment.