Firhill Developments

Hankey

I think being in the premiership must have shown the board that we do need the Main Stand and that can't be reduced. When Hearts, Aberdeen, United, Celtic and maybe Rangers all have the potential of bringing a couple thousand away fans and they need accomodated and not in the JHS. If we want to keep the North then the Main must remain. Although got a feeling we will see ourselves housed in JHS with away fans getting new main stand and north stand. Being wrapped around two sides of the pitch, it will make firhill a great away day for the larger supported clubs.

Maxi touched on this when he told Ian and I that they were moving us to the main stand...

the way i see the future with regards to where we will be is something like this:

a south stand gets built, 800 seater... the singing section gets moved to the south end, away fans get housed in the north stand.

that leaves the window open for as long as the club wants, to let the main stand fall into disrepair/go on fire/get knocked down and build a new smaller stand in its place... its up to you how long you think that timeline will be.

the negative aspect to that is that our singing section would be at the other end of the pitch from the away fans and we would be in an 800 seater stand with next to no room to expand over a season or for a single game, like Morton. You can market that how you like, hey we can have safe standing (something we effectively already have) our own dedicated stand (something we already have)...

on the plus side for the club, they have 2000 seats for away fans in the north stand and gets the away fans away from them in their directors box.

I've said before,I think a small terrace holding just over 1000 people would be perfect for the city end and would require less space than a seated stand. See Burton Albion's away stand as an example.

The SPFL are more open to standing areas these days, and I don't see why it shouldn't be considered. Of we have a section where standing is allowed, why bother putting seats in?

• Like 1

At the Propco open night a few years ago it was stated that the designs for the stand at the City End would contain 300 seats.

Seeing as those initial designs haven't been altered since that meeting then I'll take the assumption that the 300 seat quota for the stand hasn't changed.

Obviously I'd love it to be more but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by northernsoul

Location move? Ehm not sure! Somewhere in the local vicinity but in terms of costs etc and thinking with my (wee bit realistic) dreaming hat. To me football caters for beer drinking white 20-30 males and offers little to other sections of society I.e

the majority.

1. Somewhere that has distinct kids section away from swearing adults and away fans and gives them room to move.

2. Good offering of food before, during and after match. Pie and bovril = 1970's.

3. Good offering of different drinks if you want a pint again before, during and after if possible.

4. Somewhere that offers protection from the elements away from our brutal weather. Rain and wind. Any chance of some warmth via renewable means.

5. Singing section. Safe standing area.

6. Entertainment before and during game. Make people want to come instead of watching on tv.

7. Comfortable seats with space for legs as JH Stand is too tight.

I could go on and appreciate some is pie in the sky.

I've said before,I think a small terrace holding just over 1000 people would be perfect for the city end and would require less space than a seated stand. See Burton Albion's away stand as an example.

The SPFL are more open to standing areas these days, and I don't see why it shouldn't be considered. Of we have a section where standing is allowed, why bother putting seats in?

The return of terracing, or safe standing, is very much off the table after Celtic were denied planning permission by the council.

We all know the council is full of tims, so if Celtic can't get planning permission for something, then I doubt there's much hope of anyone else getting it.

Unfortunately, I can't see it happening any time soon.

The stand is half the size it should be (as a minimum) in order to avoid the stadium looking totally lop-sided. Stupid. When this is done it can't be undone and I worry that we're going to end up with a stupid looking and ridiculous stadium designed by people who feel the overall number of seats is all that is important, as opposed to the layout of the seats themselves.

If, as so many people have said, the Jackie Husband stand is too big, then why build another big stand behind the goals? Just to make the stadium look balanced? Sounds like a pretty iffy argument to me. Without going into the arguments about who has the rights to the land, how the club benefits etc etc, i'd say that a small stand behind the goals makes pretty good sense.

Big stand along the pitch (where the view is best) and small stand behind the goals makes far more sense than the opposite, which is what Aberdeen and Motherwell have.

I agree alllyo and if we could go back in time I'd redesign the entire stadium but, given what we've got, we should ensure all new construction fits in with the look and feel of the stadium. A 1,000ish seater stand at the City End, elevated like at Hamilton, would be excellent. Even better if they could make it rail seats and allow us to stand (and lean...) Either way, it would look good.

A 430 seat stand is tiny and will look, I imagine, somewhat like the gazebo at Hamilton - it will look like an add-on to give the impression of a four sided stadium and will be of little practical purpose.

• Like 4

The proposed new stand looks awful in its designs. There is genuinely to elavation from the pitch at all.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating an over inflated size stand because, as it stands it would be of little use.

In my opinion the seating capacity proposed is preposterous in the sense that from an overall stadium design and aesthetic point of view it looks pathetic and offers nothing atmospherically.

If we are sticking to tradition then this stand will be for the home support, no doubt about it. Yet, compared to the north stand, it will be night and

day in comparison to the noise that will travel down the pitch.

It's been that long now, since the Propco open night in the Aitken Suite that I've accepted the inevitable. The sheer amateurish designs from a spectator perspective should not be a surprise considering the inept, arrogant and

clueless wasters that held positions as our chairman and our board of directors at the time.

"A nice little retirement project".

http://www.heraldsco...e-debt-1.821811

Edited by northernsoul
  • Like 2

Putting aside the politics I will be interested to see what is the intended use of 450 seats. I've long thought the elderly and less abled are inconvenienced at Firhill more than at other grounds. It's a fair hike up to the JHS and I'd suggest that the thought of that long trudge, particularly in poor weather, "retires" many a long serving fan that bit earlier.

I would imagine a concession only stand for above and perhaps Parent & Young Kid(s) would be welcome. In addition some sort of interface with the Aitken Suite would be beneficial. I'm not sure about licensing issues but a walkway to the South Stand via the Aitken Suite/Main Stand entrance would be most convenient.

I think the benefits would be mutual between Club and Fan in so much that many of those using such facilities in the South Stand may be the very people who won't/can't attend under the status quo.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 3

I'd have thought that if the accoustics were right a 450 seater stand would be ideal for those who frequent the North Stand and might increase the volume of noise adding to the atmosphere.This would leave the North Stand free for visiting supporters.

If the design was right it might even become the must-have season ticket.

I'd have thought that if the accoustics were right a 450 seater stand would be ideal for those who frequent the North Stand and might increase the volume of noise adding to the atmosphere.This would leave the North Stand free for visiting supporters.

If the design was right it might even become the must-have season ticket.

The stand has next to no elevation to from the pitch. I can't see how this is going to create a better atmosphere compared to the North Stand or JHS.

• Members

Putting aside the politics I will be interested to see what is the intended use of 450 seats. I've long thought the elderly and less abled are inconvenienced at Firhill more than at other grounds. It's a fair hike up to the JHS and I'd suggest that the thought of that long trudge, particularly in poor weather, "retires" many a long serving fan that bit earlier.

I would imagine a concession only stand for above and perhaps Parent & Young Kid(s) would be welcome. In addition some sort of interface with the Aitken Suite would be beneficial. I'm not sure about licensing issues but a walkway to the South Stand via the Aitken Suite/Main Stand entrance would be most convenient.

I think the benefits would be mutual between Club and Fan in so much that many of those using such facilities in the South Stand may be the very people who won't/can't attend under the status quo.

We're often told how we have an aging support and so I think that's a great idea LIB. A bit of thought put into it and I'm sure many other ideas to benefit the less able fans could be introduced also. Publicise it as the only Club in Scotland to cater for this particular cross-section of football fan.

We're often told how we have an aging support and so I think that's a great idea LIB. A bit of thought put into it and I'm sure many other ideas to benefit the less able fans could be introduced also. Publicise it as the only Club in Scotland to cater for this particular cross-section of football fan.

Definitely something in this.

• 3 weeks later...