Just In....11 Hours Ago!

Lindau

Absolutely dreadful, but is anyone honestly surprised. I had a feeling about this game all week. If any team was going to give Midden their first points, it was likely to be us. Balatoni was shocking and it's clear to everyone that both him and Muirhead are not up to this level, especially when they are paired together. We need to wrap Danny in cotton wool. Jake Carrol as MOTM?...well that sums up to me how bad the team actually was, as to me anyway, he was no better than average. Not quite sure why Galls isn't playing as he gives the defence much more confidence. Fox was indecisive, punching when he could catch and flapping at a few. Midfield was posted missing, with the exception of Osman. Higgy dreadful, Bannigan anonymous, Lawless grafted hard and Doolan,apart from his goal, was poor. If he had buried that chance after the goal the game was over. Don't get me started regarding the substitutes, but why are Craigan and Elliot nearly always guaranteed a run out in the second half? I will use the word again, just for Potty Trained...it's because our squad is threadbare. There are few other options. St Midden were absolutely dreadful in the first half, probably the worst team I have seen since we came back up, but we played right into their hands by going deeper and deeper at the start of the 2nd half and giving them some encouragement. We really need to start playing for 90 minutes. It's going to be a long season if that's what we can expect for the rest of the season.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

Jinx!

We seem to have a mental block when playing teams we should be beating - it felt like the Hearts game last season. It's as if we think we just have to turn up to win - and we inevitably get outfought. How can we go from beating the top team in the league one week to defeat to this dross (as St Mirren fans surely must admit, their squad right now is shocking)? Typical Partick Thistle.

Edited by Richard Nixon

What a shambles of a second half. Did they not realise St Mirren were going to be more up for it? McLean absolutely bossed the midfield in the last 30minutes.

Bannigan and Higgy were both non-existent for most parts after more needless bookings.

Muirhead can't seem to clear properly and his positional awareness has disappeared.

Stevenson was adding some steel. Why take him off for a truly out of form, lightweight Craigen?!

Fox looks a shadow of his former self. Flapping at the first sign of pressure.

Thank god we've got a cup game to put it right next week.

Seaborne and Fraser are the two most vital players we have. That was evident last night. Gallacher must start every week.

Edited by brodieboy

Was the penalty fair - couldn't see from the far end of the JH?

Looked like the players were incensed which usually means it was dodgy.

You can't really put your hands up like that when the ball is being played back in to the danger area in the last minute of the game. Osman let down by our defence failing to clear.

Did they not realise St Mirren were going to be more up for it? McLean absolutely bossed the midfield in the last 30minutes.

The double substitution made by the Buddies reminded me of the changes Hartley made for Dundee - it was clear the opposition were changing things up, and we failed to react properly on both occasions. Worrying.

Osman let down by our defence failing to clear.

Fox let everyone down by punching a ball he should have caught right into the danger zone.

• Like 1

Scunnered with that yet again. Awful game, two first division standard teams, embarrassed to think it was broadcast on tv.

Im not surprised at all, it's in thistle's dna to be the soft touch. In need of a win after a horrendous start to the season, there is only one team u want to be playing. Totally fcuked off with it. Halfway through september, and already hamilton and st mirren have come from behind to beat us at firhill. Unacceptable.

Not 1 player given pass marks for me last night. Squad is weaker than last season, we have not strengthened at all. Stevenson continues to disappoint. Just a complete let down man.

Long season ahead, cant see anything other than 10-12th finish. Need another centre half to partner seabourne (why was he not playing again?). Need some options off the bench too as there's nothing there that can change a game.

2nd half last night is where we needed the captain to step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck.. Stevenson just not up to it and to be honest looked unfit.. was well off the pace the entire game

Im sceptical as to the importance of a captain in football, but if ours is to be anyone surely it's higgy? If the team followed his effort/commitment/work rate and they had his passion we'd be a better team

Same story over and over without any lessons being learnt. Trying to protect a one goal lead, throw it away in 2nd half by sitting deeper and deeper.

Too many players just not good enough last night and we have nothing on the bench to come on and change the game.

It definitely is starting to seem that we don't put the same effort in when we're expecting to win.

Fox punching was woeful last night and a couple he could've caught but chose not to. He's either lacking confidence or off form. Either way, Galls should be in (particularly when Seabourne is out).

What was Balatoni doing for the first goal? Should've never let his man come across the front of him. He should've been between ball and player and coming to meet the ball, not running straight towards our goal.

CB's were all over the place, we didn't close anything down quick enough in midfield and our passing, distribution and movement throughout the team was awful.

Lots of talk previously about the players just needing experience at this level, etc. As well as the players obviously not learning lessons the problem undoubtedly also lies with the management. We're continuing to show tactical naivety when teams change their tactics and when making subs. Part of the problem with the subs though is there's no real quality on the bench to bring on.

drop Balatoni and Muirhead. In fact do them a favour and cut them free in January. 2nd division players at best. We signed a defender in the summer and sent him to Airdrie (poor chap). Cancel the loan deal and get him back. Drop Fox and get Gall in. As soon as the pen was given I knew a Fox wouldn't save it. I don't think I've ever seen him save one.

Remind me why we signed Stevenson and why some fans chant his name in adulation? Did heehaw last night for his 5th game running.

We don't seem to have a he plan when other teams close us down - panic sets in.

But last night is proof again that the club did not do enough business in the transfer market.

You can't really put your hands up like that when the ball is being played back in to the danger area in the last minute of the game. Osman let down by our defence failing to clear.

Spoke to my mate after the game who's a ref and he said that should only be given if his hands were out beyond his face .He seen it on TV and said it was an awful decision . Worst was the free kick leading up to it .

The second half was a shocker,out fought out tackled out passed by an woeful St Mirren with a woefull manager.

The triangle of Fox, muirhead and Balitoni is a disaster waiting to happen.PG is a better keeper and everyone knows it FFS start him . My patience has run out with Stevenson ,total passenger for the second half ,needs read the riot act or dump him in January. Same old failings from last season never been sorted out , cross ball , late goals . St MIirren deserved it dodgey penalty or not and worst of all is the fact that a fud like Tommy Craig out thought our management team.

Possibly the worst Friday night I've ever had.Raging hangover not helping.

• Like 2

Balatoni and Fox are rank rotten, Balatoni can look ok if he has someone half decent beside him apart from that......Fox, is a bloody nightmare of a keeper, if he was all we had, then so be it, but the fact that we have an excellent keeper sitting on the bench makes you wonder about the wisdom of the management team.

The rest of the team is fine, however, the defence can not be relied upon at all, and is an absolute joke. We can no longer play out of defence and now just hoof it up the park.

• Like 1

Yes,we just don't learn anything from previous experiences,no plan B,we have no-one on the bench to come on to change the game,i have watched 3 of the development squad games,the defence is the exact same as the Seniors,lose bad goals,the mid-field is industrious but not creative,no-one up front can come in to help.We are not as strong as last season,this is going to be a long hard struggle but it is a self-inflicted wound,we knew what was required and for whatever reason,we have failed to adequately addressed it.People have to fork out their hard earned cash to support the team,everybody has to try harder,disappointed in what is/has been going on.

Oh dear here we are again throwing away points again to one of our relegation rivals. We really do have a death wish at times.

Fox had a nightmare in goals and the blame for the equalizer must go at his door. Punching the ball like that is just asking for trouble. Gallacher must be the number 1 goalie from now on.

The real reason we did lose though was our inability to pass the ball in the second half imo. St Mirren pressed us hard and we did not react to that in the right way. We struggled to string two passes together. If Bannigan wants to play at a higher level then he has to play better than that – thought he was very poor second half.

I actually thought both Muirhead and Balatoni both had good games but looks like Conrad was at fault for the first St Mirren goal. Seabourne is a huge loss and I hope this is not a recurring problem he has. His experience is vital for us at the back.

I thought the subs Archie made was to early partially Doolan, Stevenson battled hard all night and his fitness is clearly improving. That said not much came off for him and was responsible for losing the ball on many occasions.

We should have put the game out of St Mirren’s reach in the first half. They gave both Lawless and Higgy far too much room out wide and we did not fully take advantage.

Edited by Alan Murray

Highlights up on BBC -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/29288898

It's a damn shame Doolan didn't take his second chance in the first half; the game would have probably been very different. Balatoni shocking for the first goal, Fox shocking for the second. If your keeper cannae f**kin' catch a ball he shouldn't be in the team. Seems like a fair enough penalty to me.

Just In... to be honest I,was,so scunnered yesterday that I never even went! Back to the football, it was definetly a case of same old, same old as yet again we flung away a game that we should have had well in the bag. I'll not bother highlighting the deficiencies in the team, other people seem to have done that accurately from my perspective. On TV Archie said before the game that he thought that our squad was stronger than it was last season: it always worries me when football managers begin to talk palpable nonesense!

Watched the highlights again, looked more of a penalty than it did at the game but still very very harsh , he was less than a yard away when he hit it at him.The free kick that lead to it was a shocking decision and the defending after that even worseThe amount of stupid free kicks we were giving away was unbelivable. Real headless chicken stuff

Balatoni was feckin awful at the goal, just a straight run into the box.

Stevenson looked totally pissed off when he was subbed, dont know why ,he was shite.If Eccelstone can play right mid Id start him there next week before him. I

Against caley we proved we can play a bit so why was last night so woeful. It has got to be attitude when things get tough there is no leadership on or off the pitch.

Exactly. We seem to take our mental foot off the pedal when we think the opposing team is inferior - and we don't know how to switch when it's clear they aren't.

Highlights up on BBC -

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland/29288898

It's a damn shame Doolan didn't take his second chance in the first half; the game would have probably been very different. Balatoni shocking for the first goal, Fox shocking for the second. If your keeper cannae f**kin' catch a ball he shouldn't be in the team. Seems like a fair enough penalty to me.

Thought Doolan could take another touch before finishing and from the highlights Fox doesn't inspire any confidence with his handling.

He should deal with the free kick better than that but it's a 100% pen for me.

Going with the highlights St Mirren had the chances too.

Poor result for Thistle though and a great chance missed to put good distance between themselves and St Mirren.

Watched the highlights again, looked more of a penalty than it did at the game but still very very harsh , he was less than a yard away when he hit it at him.

Watched the game again this morning, jeez am I a sucker for punishment!! Noticed at the end some players were warming down ( did any of them warm up in the 2nd half?) and Osman appeared to be explaining to Balatoni that he put his hands up to protect his face after getting that knock on the nose near the end. That was my interpretation anyway. I always gauge penalties on whether I would be shouting for them at the other end in that instance I would be screaming. Clear penalty in my opinion.

• Like 1

Fox - poor

Muirhead - poor does not cover it. What was the free kick just at the edge of the box deep in the second half all about. Just barged into the back of the striker. Calamity of a defender.

Balatoni - I am amazed he had escaped the same stick that Muirhead or Gabby have had. Slow, not great in the air and distribution cack. Ideal centre half material.

McMillan - tried hard but no great cover. With Higgy wide left and Lawless and Stevenson wanting to play in behind Doolan he is exposed.

Carroll - thought he played ok

Bannigan - picked up his normal stupid booking that will cost him as soon as a suspension kicks in. Can't remember him having much impact.

Oman - is a player. Solid in the tackle, quick feet and can pass.

Stevenson - poor, captain my @rse.

Lawless - hit a bit of form and is all over the park. My motm

Doolan - love the guy, good finish but jeez oh. Panicked when 1 on 1 in the first half. Would have killed the game.

Higgy - full of effort and it is just not coming off for him at the minute. Think he is missing ATS big time.

As I said Lawless and Stevenson seem to want to play in the same position. I''my not sure we can play both in the same team. Play 1 in the middle and bring SoD in to cover the right.

With 2 of the best defenders in my time at Firhill sitting on the bench, I am amazed at how poor we are at the back.

If St Mirren or RC go on a bit of a run, we are in trouble.

• Like 1