Just In....11 Hours Ago!

Lindau

i fully take your point that we are a small club in terms of attendances.

but i - and i beleive im am not alone in this - renewed my season ticket duem to the pre-season promises of messrs beattie, patterson and archibald that we would be in the position to sign a 'better class of player...'

this did not happen - would a mair/piccolo centre-back pairing fare any worse than balatoni/muirhead?

No but I believe Seabourne - Balatoni is better than that combination when they've had a run in the team together which hasn't happened yet. We've also made a good signing in Osman and most fans at the start of the window thought Stevenson was a great signing - is it the managements fault he's been a little disappointing so far?

- which is why my season ticket seat may be empty for some time to come...

I hope you're still at least turning up and paying at the gate. BTW Here's a question. How do you think we're going to afford all these great signings you want if lots of fans hold off paying for their season ticket until they see who's signed.

My own take is the club have tried their best - signed Stevenson who as I said everyone thought was a great signing at first. Lost out on Taylor for silly money we'd never be able to match and made a few other decent signings.

Like any window there have been successes and possible failures

plus points: Stevenson, Seabourne and Osman

minus points: Carrol looks like a good prospect but in no way is he a fully adequate replacement for Taylor-Sinclair; we really needed a 'covering player' i.e. someone with a wee bit experience who could say play full back and centre half. I like Seabourne but it looks like our defence is dodgy without him and we need more cover.

Still to pan out: Eccleston (though as he's hardly played 10 minutes he may very well be a success; the guys who went out on loan.

In some way it's disappointing but let's be realistic, we were never going to be able to make signings a lot better than those we've signed. I can think of a few criticisms (e.g. the risk of signing guys who can't hit the ground running) but folk have to be patient and see how things pan out. But I don't think unwillingness to pay the money for players (unless it was silly money) is the problem.

No but I believe Seabourne - Balatoni is better than that combination when they've had a run in the team together which hasn't happened yet. We've also made a good signing in Osman and most fans at the start of the window thought Stevenson was a great signing - is it the managements fault he's been a little disappointing so far?

I hope you're still at least turning up and paying at the gate. BTW Here's a question. How do you think we're going to afford all these great signings you want if lots of fans hold off paying for their season ticket until they see who's signed.

My own take is the club have tried their best - signed Stevenson who as I said everyone thought was a great signing at first. Lost out on Taylor for silly money we'd never be able to match and made a few other decent signings.

Like any window there have been successes and possible failures

plus points: Stevenson, Seabourne and Osman

minus points: Carrol looks like a good prospect but in no way is he a fully adequate replacement for Taylor-Sinclair; we really needed a 'covering player' i.e. someone with a wee bit experience who could say play full back and centre half. I like Seabourne but it looks like our defence is dodgy without him and we need more cover.

Still to pan out: Eccleston (though as he's hardly played 10 minutes he may very well be a success; the guys who went out on loan.

In some way it's disappointing but let's be realistic, we were never going to be able to make signings a lot better than those we've signed. I can think of a few criticisms (e.g. the risk of signing guys who can't hit the ground running) but folk have to be patient and see how things pan out. But I don't think unwillingness to pay the money for players (unless it was silly money) is the problem.

you make a number of very valid points which i fully accept. i do not expect 'great signings' but in my opinion our team is worryingly weaker than it was at the end of last season. i am by nature a pessimist and would dearly love to be proved wrong but i can not envisage the current squad finishing 10th or above

Still pushing that line? Perhaps you mean 'marquee signing', because it's clear that some of our summer signings are better than that.

I was asking a question, not pushing a line. Read the post properly before you comment. All I was doing was giving potential reasons as to why our crowds appear to be dropping significantly. Why don't you give us yours?

Edited by Lindau

I was asking a question, not pushing a line. Read the post properly before you comment. All I was doing was giving potential reasons as to why our crowds appear to be dropping significantly. Why don't you give us yours?

I did read it properly, thanks. It's not my error if you've clumsily framed the question.

Why have crowds dropped?

Ross County midweek - they don't travel well at the best of times.

Hamilton - small following, home and away.

Inverness - they don't travel in numbers.

St. Mirren - on tv, day of a disappointing referendum result for many (as I've already said), plus the second Firhill meeting between the sides last season was immediately after the split.

I certainly don't think it's down to the "lack of a half decent signing".

Edited by Dark Passenger

I did read it properly, thanks. It's not my error if you've clumsily framed the question.

Why have crowds dropped?

Ross County midweek - they don't travel well at the best of times.

Hamilton - small following, home and away.

Inverness - they don't travel in numbers.

St. Mirren - on tv, day of a disappointing referendum result for many (as I've already said), plus the second Firhill meeting between the sides was immediately after the split.

I'd agree re the travelling support, added into that that St Mirren are shite and their fans aren't travelling in numbers like previously.

But our home support looks less than last season. A lot less in the JHS.

Stevenson has been terrible. A complete waste of a shirt and a wage so far.

Against Inverness Craigen came on and out performed him. Just let those words sink in.

Craigen ran around for ten minutes. Stevenson played a part in the first and third goals. I agree he's been disappointing so far, but he made a decent contribution to last Saturday's win.

But our home support looks less than last season. A lot less in the JHS.

Agreed, but I wouldn't say it's fallen off a cliff.

It was to be expected that those primarily drawn to Firhill by a team winning week in, week out would rethink their Saturday afternoon plans once the cold, hard reality of playing in the top league began to bite.

• Like 1

We couldn't really have had a worst run of home fixtures at the start of the season crowd wise. When you compare it to last season when we started off against Dundee Utd with a crowd of around 7k, we've really lost a fair bit of money just down to the way the fixtures have fallen for us & I don't see that being made up when the 'better' fixtures regarding crowd numbers appear later in the season.

That's your opinion, certainly doesn't mean it's right. All I did was put "potential" reasons why the crowds have dropped off. There's probably loads of reasons including a mixture of all that's been mentioned

That's your opinion, certainly doesn't mean it's right. All I did was put "potential" reasons why the crowds have dropped off. There's probably loads of reasons including a mixture of all that's been mentioned

I think you're completely missing my point, which is...to say that none of our summer signings are even "half decent" is utter bollocks.

Osman's proven himself to be a decent signing. Seaborne is a guaranteed first pick. Carroll has looked okay. Stevenson was a big signing who's failed to deliver so far. Eccleston got us the winner last night...could be a useful player once he's fit.

It doesn't look like we've signed any duds like Kerr & Baird this time, anyway.

You have to query the logic of those who anticipate us making "significant" signings on the attendances we muster. I must add I don't decry Jags fans who stay away. It would be hypocritical considering my level of enthusiasm during "the Kenny Watson plus ten others" years.

I just wish a lot of the non attenders would be more honest re the reasons they stay away. Failing that at least be a trifle more realistic about their chances of returning to the fold. Given the money we're generating from gates of 3000 or so is unlikely to enable us to hang on to the players we've got never mind those they rather irrationally say we should be signing.

It gets even more irrational, when not content on questioning the quality of what we already have, it gets pointed out that we also lack quantity (depth to the squad). Just maybe we should turn it on the head and occasionally query not so much the quality of our support but the true depth of our fanbase.

OI! :angry:

'Sincerely,

The Ian McDonald's Gautee & Eddie Gallagher's 'Tache Memorial Trust, Ian Jardine's Toe Poke v Hearts Appreciation Club, Can We Keep Colin West Please Chelsea? People's Front and Joe Carson Dropped His Kecks at Douglas Park Rememberence Society

:borat:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

i fully take your point that we are a small club in terms of attendances.

but i - and i beleive im am not alone in this - renewed my season ticket duem to the pre-season promises of messrs beattie, patterson and archibald that we would be in the position to sign a 'better class of player...'

this did not happen - would a mair/piccolo centre-back pairing fare any worse than balatoni/muirhead? - which is why my season ticket seat may be empty for some time to come...

Where does the money come from to sign this "better class" of player?

Fans should turn up to support the team no matter what promises were made and crowds of late won't ever finance a better quality player to come in.

Thistle have been out of the picture for years and now they are establishing themselves as a top flight club but it still isn't enough for some.

Reading this forum at times gives an impression that some folk have expectation levels way beyond the stage the club is at just now and hearing folk staying away because promises were not kept is ridiculous.

Wake up to the fact that there is no money in the game anywhere.

Go support your team and enjoy where your club is at just now which is playing football in the top flight.

Edited by billko
  • Like 4

Just had a quick look, to compare crowds & income from that from last season, to this. After the 1st 5 home games last season a total of 24,244 had attended our matches. This season, after 5 home games, the total stands at 15,445. That will equate to a significant amount of money lost, I'd say, purely down to the way the fixtures have been drawn out for us unfortunately. (Dundee Utd, Ayr Utd, Hearts, Cowdenbeath, Aberdeen last season. - Ross County, Hamilton, ICT, St. Mirren x2 this season).

Just had a quick look, to compare crowds & income from that from last season, to this. After the 1st 5 home games last season a total of 24,244 had attended our matches. This season, after 5 home games, the total stands at 15,445. That will equate to a significant amount of money lost, I'd say, purely down to the way the fixtures have been drawn out for us unfortunately. (Dundee Utd, Ayr Utd, Hearts, Cowdenbeath, Aberdeen last season. - Ross County, Hamilton, ICT, St. Mirren x2 this season).

Just had a look at the fixtures list of home games...

October: Motherwell & St Johnstone.

November: Aberdeen.

December: Kilmarnock. & Dundee.

January: Celtic & Dundee United.

Lets hope we've got a large increase in season tickets for this season!

How many are Motherwell taking to away games, whilst they are sh!te? We might not have a generous away crowd this season until November!

I think you're completely missing my point, which is...to say that none of our summer signings are even "half decent" is utter bollocks.

I will agree on that...half decent wasn't what was really meant. Last season we brought in the likes of Taylor, Bauban, Osborne, Erskine, Fraser, all guys that were known to the supporters. This year we have brought in Seaborne, Osman, Carroll, Eccleston, Richards- Everton and Stevenson. I would imagine 99% of our fans would only really know Stevenson out of that lot and I still think a lot of the fans have been underwhelmed on the signings. Osman and Seaborne look excellent signings but the jury is out on the others, especially Stevenson.