Just In 0-0 V Saints

brodieboy

I don't think I give Archie any breaks because he was a good player for us. I just don't see why any excuses, such as 'young manager' are necessary. He got us promoted, he kept us up, and he's got us in a decent position this year. That's why I'd back him, on his record as a manager, nothing else.

To be honest I wasn't that keen on him becoming our manager, but he's turned that around.

• Like 1

Glad to see the Craigan haters out again. Seems strange they missed his chance that was blocked by a last ditch scramble in the first half.

So he had at least two shots on target. How many did the team have?

It really beggars belief that there are people in our support who would rather sit behind their keyboard and look for negatives at every opportunity.

We have a team built on youth and desire trying to play good football. We have players who have come from outwith league football and have progressed and stepped up to play in the top league in Scotland. I am very proud if that and support them as best I can.

One of them is contributing more desire, effort and teamwork than our highest paid player. The player brought in to improve the attacking midfield option.

But no, there are some fans who'd rather talk down these guys. Absolutely baffling.

The one your talking about is the one he had no composure and wanted the ball away from him as soon as possible so hit it even though there was a player a yard infront of him and the shot was never going to past him. Yeah last ditch scrabble at its best.

For a man who plays as an attacking midfielder and has I think one goal in about 60 apps is a horrendous stat. He had two shots on goal and did he make the keeper work? The first was one on one from 6 yards out and my wee girl could have hit it harder.

He shows no moments that make me think he can improve as a player and is very very limited. Good effort but is not an SPL footballer.

But that is my opinion and is that not what a forum is about?

The one your talking about is the one he had no composure and wanted the ball away from him as soon as possible so hit it even though there was a player a yard infront of him and the shot was never going to past him. Yeah last ditch scrabble at its best.

Sorry, this is the goal mouth scramble that we had maybe 3 attempts to convert?

Are you saying if he had taken a touch wide to control before shooting, and it was then saved, you'd be patting him on the back... Or would you have used it to complain and say... He was in the middle of the goal, he should have hit it first time.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of Craigen, but I thought he was unlucky with the scrambled one. I was at the other end of the ground, but I thought it got caught in Dools feet, broke to Craigen and he hit it firmly only for the shot to be blocked on the line by a defender? I thought it had hit his hand actually.

I thought McMillan was outstanding again. I've said it before he has been a fantastic signing from Archie. I hope we can get him signed up on a new deal

He plays better on the left, which is odd.

I love those tackles he does when he stretches full length and hooks the ball back from behind. Did a great one on O'Halloran towards the end of the second half.

By no means a major point but I thought the subbing of McDaid for Lawless could've come about a wee bit earlier. Wee Stevie was undoubtedly a candidate for MotM but given the conditions he possibly didn't have much left to offer after 75-80 mins.

On a general note I usually have a reasonable recall re our games. St Johnstone matches tho' seem to pass me by. Last season I can mind the abandoned game of course and Doolan scoring very early when their defender got a real nasty injury. Apart from that I'm struggling to remember anything of note since Harkins scored and his celebration booking resulted in a suspension. Anyone else have similar problems with games against them?

Glad to see the Craigan haters out again. Seems strange they missed his chance that was blocked by a last ditch scramble in the first half.

It really beggars belief that there are people in our support who would rather sit behind their keyboard and look for negatives at every opportunity.

We have a team built on youth and desire trying to play good football. We have players who have come from outwith league football and have progressed and stepped up to play in the top league in Scotland. I am very proud if that and support them as best I can.

One of them is contributing more desire, effort and teamwork than our highest paid player. The player brought in to improve the attacking midfield option.

But no, there are some fans who'd rather talk down these guys. Absolutely baffling.

Pretty much agree with all of the above. We are a finisher away from being a good, even great, team. (No criticism of Doolan who put in a great shift yesterday.) Fitness levels are the best I've seen in a while; although we struggle by having a limited number of subs who can maintain or change shape; especially towards the end of a game (thinking Accies and St M). Find a guy who can score a few goals and we'd have buried a few teams IMO.

In terms of Stevenson; maybe sub's bench time will make him buck up his ideas; although it does hurt that he's quietly checking his bank balance. Maybe just a signing that didn't work out? All managers must have a few on their CV's. But from what I've seen, his style of play doesn't quite fit in with what the management are trying to achieve. But maybe for his sake there's still time.

I close on my earlier point and that is that we are still a good team to watch. I no longer dread going to games; haven't in quite some time TBH. But more goals please...

Was gutted with that. Obviously our last kick of the ball. Our final attempt to get a goal and the freshest legs on the pitch couldn't hit it over the wall!

We discussed that yesterday and the thinking was that he was right to drive it low and hard as ever other attempt had sailed harmlessly over the bar. Probably the wind.

complete overreaction. I've seen one guy criticise craigens performance yesterday and you come out with all the James haters online.

Think everyone agrees he worked his socks off and does so every game. However anyone is entitled to comment that he could have done better with the poor shot at goal. For what it's worth Doolan and eccleston could have done better with chances as well and I thought craigen also had some fantastic touches yesterday and certainly looked more of a threat than eccleston and his work ethic should put plenty of football players to shame.

Remember you being critical of lawless last season does that suddenly make you a lawless hater.

There's nothing wrong with saying he could add more goals as its true.

• Like 2

By no means a major point but I thought the subbing of McDaid for Lawless could've come about a wee bit earlier. Wee Stevie was undoubtedly a candidate for MotM but given the conditions he possibly didn't have much left to offer after 75-80 mins.

On a general note I usually have a reasonable recall re our games. St Johnstone matches tho' seem to pass me by. Last season I can mind the abandoned game of course and Doolan scoring very early when their defender got a real nasty injury. Apart from that I'm struggling to remember anything of note since Harkins scored and his celebration booking resulted in a suspension. Anyone else have similar problems with games against them?

Against who?

Well if he had took a touch to the side and shot and the keeper saved than it would have been a better effort than the one he actually did hit as he would have made the keeper work. But hitting it when the defender is right infront of him and the only outcome is that it will be blocked shows a lack of composure

And the two before him who did the same?

What if it deflects up off his body and into the net. Heap praise on the boy for hitting it first time?

Unfortunately the shot was blocked.

I'd rather keep encouraging and support the boy so that the next time he gets in that position he doesn't feel the weight of torn faced fans on his shoulders analysing his every step.

• Like 2

And the two before him who did the same?

What if it deflects up off his body and into the net. Heap praise on the boy for hitting it first time?

Unfortunately the shot was blocked.

I'd rather keep encouraging and support the boy so that the next time he gets in that position he doesn't feel the weight of torn faced fans on his shoulders analysing his every step.

Well i dont think he would be able to generate enough power for it do deflect off the player into the net... im using his first effort as an example.

Yes I dont rate Craigen as a player but i think this is the first time I have came onto the forum to critise his performance. So if that makes me a craigen hater then i apologise. Everyone is entiltled to their opinion. As i said before as that not what a forum is for?

You obviously seem to rate craigen so you being a craigen lover has to leap to his defence as soon as someone comes on and posts a negative comment about your precious craigen.

A lot of players yesterday werent at their best especially the front line but for the last while I cant see what Craigen adds apart from a lot of running and nothing at the end.

We play one upfront and Doolan is not a prolific scorer so we need goals to come from our attacking midfield players and as shown in the stats Craigen will not get you goals.

Whether you rate Craigen or not a wee bit of realism is required. Linking in two other threads. Our poorish home attendances dictate that, unlike many other rival clubs, we can't afford proven SPFL class players in all positions. If you want to believe the likes of Craigen and Elliott fall short of that level of class, fair enough, but no one can complain about their effort and the way they're striving to improve.

Then we hear Stevenson, who is definitely considered SPFL class, is our highest wage earner and is in many folk's opinion short in the effort & striving department. So while it's fair in my opinion to point out James Craigen's current failings it's not reasonable to believe we can do better. Besides Craigen can, and I think will, improve. The likes of Stevenson may regain some of his previous form but most certainly won't improve.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I do think changes need to be made. Craigen and Elliot, while doing ok, just don't proviide enough threat going forward. I never see them on the ball and think oh we might score.

I've made my feelings known about Doolan and yesterday was no different. He was isolated but yet again opposition fans saying their two centre backs won't get an easier game.

Obviously we miss Fraser and Higgy. Swapping them for Craigen and Elliot makes a mammoth change.

Three things can be taken from today. One is our defence is now pretty solid for the first time in the premiership. Two it also has genuine competition with Balatoni, Seaborne and Frans (I think the two latter will be the preferred two). Thirdly, our competition in this league is the worst probably in history. It really is awful and I can't see us going down.

I'd like Archie to start Eccleston, who had a few nice touches, lay offs and a belting free kick, along with McDaid next Saturday. In place of Dools and Elliot. Not scoring after having much of the possession for two games running means those on the bench should get their chance. After all of you do well you keep your place so likewise if you don't do well.

Pretty much agree with all of the above. We are a finisher away from being a good, even great, team. ...

i am a bit of an oldie who can remember the truly great teams of 1963 and 1971. i admire your positivity but as someone who watched sandy brown, andy kerr, tommy ewing, joe mcbride, neil duffy, alan rough, john hansen, alex forsyth, jackie campbell, ronnie glavin, denis mcquade, frank coulston and jimmy bone (and apologies to all that i have missed) then in all honesty we are 11 players away from being a great team. and that is not to denigrate the current team in any way. stuart bannigan and gary fraser in particular could be future firhill hall-of-fame inductees

• Like 1

To pick up on some of the points raised, one thing I remember from the game against St Johnstone at Firhill last year was that we threw on lots of attacking players but still lost 1-0. I think we had Taylor, Doolan, Esrkine, Higgy and Elliot on the park at the end but lost shape and didn't look like scoring then either. Changing formation doesn't by itself necessarily work, sometimes a different player in a familiar system will be a better option.

I think Craigen has potential to be a decent player but his lack of goals and direct assists is a legitimate criticism. He does offer more to the team than some of the presumably more highly paid recent recruits.

I like Doolan but I think that quietly effective would be a reasonable description of him. He takes up good positions, links up play pretty well, closes defenders down and has a decent scoring record. Taylor was a good alternative - more direct and powerful. This season, Doolan hasn't quite been at his best but there simply hasn't been an alternative to change the pattern of a game. Ecclestone so far has looked like a less effective version of Doolan. The only other genuine striker we have is on loan at Queens Park - no idea if Doogan is any good but I'd rather see him and some of our other youngsters being given some game time.

It's difficult to argue against BGM's assessment but I think Archie is more open to criticism for not recruiting the personnel to improve the team rather than lacking the tactical acumen to change a game. Stevenson and Ecclestone have to date been very disappointing signings - Carroll has been ok but hardly a significant upgrade on Keenan.

Seabourne and Osman have looked the part and despite it all, we still have still looked at least as good as most of the opposition who have come to Firhill over last season and this and we have usually tried to play a decent style of football. Archie has to take some of the credit for this. I will always want us to be better though.

• Like 1

i am a bit of an oldie who can remember the truly great teams of 1963 and 1971. i admire your positivity but as someone who watched sandy brown, andy kerr, tommy ewing, joe mcbride, neil duffy, alan rough, john hansen, alex forsyth, jackie campbell, ronnie glavin, denis mcquade, frank coulston and jimmy bone (and apologies to all that i have missed) then in all honesty we are 11 players away from being a great team. and that is not to denigrate the current team in any way. stuart bannigan and gary fraser in particular could be future firhill hall-of-fame inductees

Thanks for your post, my point (not made that clearly) perhaps says more about the state of the game in Scotland than anything. Nevertheless, I have watched us playing teams off the park to lose by narrow margins. My point is that we are more than capable of holding our own with most of the so-called 'better' teams in Scotland and, had we been able to convert a few more chances, would have been suffering a nose-bleed at the top of the pishy SPFL.

The names that you mention are mostly known to me as I'm not that young myself, but we can't compare like with like. There's no comparison in my opinion. The OF for one were a different force and the game was just, well, different. Most clubs had stand out fans favourites who could have competed on anyone's starting line-up. All that said and respecting your opinion, I do believe we're on the up and, returning to my point above, should be better placed than we are. Let's face facts, we are basically without many fans, no money to spend and have a threadbare squad. But things could be a lot worse; and at least we don't have to endure punt 'n' chase football. Imagine that yesterday; it would have been like playing football with a beach ball. So in conclusion, not perfect but better than we can reasonably expect. Is that me being positive? Hope so...

• Like 1

We should not be too despondent about this game. We picked up a point and we did play some good football although with little cutting edge. Stating the obvious here but we really missed Higgy to give us that creative spark needed to turn draws into victories.

Big positive was the performance of Frans, very confident first performance. Won headers, tackles and can make a pass as well. He tired near the last 20 mins but that was to be expected. Him and Seaborne will make a very solid back two. Harsh on Conrad who played well but no doubt who should be in the centre back positions for me.

SJ Jonstone did not offer much during the game and I would be unhappy if we were not to finish above them.

I thought both full backs played well. Jordan made some fantastic tackles in the game. With SOD he offered an attacking threat throughout the game on the right hand side. If we can get both SOD and Higgy on their games then we will carry a big threat down both wings. Only thing was Stephens final ball did let him down a little. If he can keep this form up then he is going to be a big player for us this year. Always thought he had tons of potential and he is starting to mature into a very good right back at this level.

We do lack strength in depth – not a great deal of good options off the bench yesterday to change the game.

Things are looking positive for me – we are looking far stronger at the back and with Higgy and Frazer due back we will offer far more attacking threat.

Edited by Alan Murray