Just In

clarencegarter

A great result for thistle and appeared always in control. Buchanan should have hit the target if not score when he was clean through but pass marks for all the team. Paddy boyle deserved MOM and a great goal from him. the two central defenders looked ok but sometimes a bit slow. But a great result and GIRUY Captain Harkins haha! :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but......

Our finishing is still dreadful, with Liam the main culprit. Before the heavy conditions set in, I think it would be good to give Liam some time on the bench and put Kris Doolan on from the start, in the hope that Liam realises he's going to have to work for his place.

I reckon two seasons ago Liam Buchanan would have scored about six goals by now - three certainties against Berwick and at least a couple today. He's in the right places but it's just not happening for him. I don't think it's a lack of effort, he's just not hitting the ball with the confidence he used to have. If he can get a couple of goals soon, I honestly think he could be back to his best. (He's going to have to read how Grehan's head flicks fall, though, and stop mumping that the big guy isn't putting them on a platter for him.)

Anyway - 1-0 against Dundee! Who wouldn't have loved that last season?!

I said before the game last week that we could still be up there and I continue to believe that. Except for 20 mad minutes last week, we actually played quite well.

As for today, gutsy and hard working performance from the players. Particular credit to Paddy Boyle who has shown real spirit to come back from being told he wasn't wanted to being one of our better players so far this season. Rowson and Cairney were also good today - considering our three man central defence left us a man short in midfield at times, you would have never have knwon the way those two ran.

Flannigan looks a fine player, comfortable with the ball at his feet and always looking for a man. Balatoni could be McCall's first good loan signing! Still not convinced with Paton though I'm afraid.

Grehan was good in the air and reasonable on the deck today and also tracked back well. Only small criticism I would have of him is that he is a bit slow to react sometimes. Paton put a cracking ball in towards the end of the first half and he failed to anticipate it, meaning he was beaten to it by a fraction. He needs to do the Hardie style gamble and just make a run hoping it gets into his area. Liam played well again today but needs to start finding the net.

As for the manager, a top decision to put the extra defender in today and I thought Maxwell was excellent - hardly seen Rat Boy all game

On a nice smug note, when I left Dens after our last game there last season, I was walking back to my car minding my own business when a Dundee fan (an older guy) unnecessarily came up to me and said "Haha, your team are shi*e and we'll no be seeing you next year"! I was furious because we totally outplayed them so many times last season and had a goal chopped off and penalty waved away in that game. I've been storing that sense of injustice up for a while so, if you happen to read this m8, welcome back to Firhill in the 1st Division and GIRUY on today's result! :lol:

My heart sank a little when I saw Maxwell was starting but he was superb today. Don't think he lost a header all day.

The defence as a whole played well, nice to see Balatoni being vocal towards the end, pushing everyone on.

Cairney was tireless in midfield and the petulant pull back by harkins and adams on him towards the end proved how good a game he had.

Paddy was good today. After his goal his confidence was sky high, he was bombing up that left wing at every opportunity.

Much better today but the key now is to keep it up.

Off to enjoy some pints :thumbsup2:

Superb performance. Thought McCall got the tactics spot on today and we snuffed them out really well by keeping a high tempo and closing them down. Chsiholm will struggle to see out the season if the so-called Champions-elect perform like that much more. We totally outplayed them and they were void of ideas.

Everyone deserves pass marks today with special mention for Maxy who was like a brick wall, Boyle who put in a sterling shift, Cairney who looks to have bulked up over the summer and used his strength well and Grehan who I thought led the line really well, though needs to smarten up at beating the offside trap.

Haven't came away from a game feeling as though I've witnessed a vintage Thistle performance like that for a long time. If we can start taking our chances we may well better the 8th place finish I was expecting by a good distance.

Good all round team performance everyone worked their socks off and you could see they wanted to win. Yes there were a few bombscare moments but tbh i cant recall Halliwell having to work too hard. In the 2nd half in particular Maxwell Boyle and Grehan were excellent but for me my MOM was Flannigan. Keep up the good work Jags :thumbsup2:

For those that like to moan about McCalls tactics i think he got them spot on today so credit where its due

Edited by Jaggyman

Yes, but......

Our finishing is still dreadful, with Liam the main culprit. Before the heavy conditions set in, I think it would be good to give Liam some time on the bench and put Kris Doolan on from the start, in the hope that Liam realises he's going to have to work for his place.

Oh dear. What total nonsense.

Oh dear. What total nonsense.

liam couldnae finish his dinner right now, and if he scuffs one more shot past the post with the goal gaping i'll burst with frustration! hopefully he'll come good.

anyway great win, excellent attitude and application by all. happy days :D

Thought we were really good today. Pressed high up the park and held onto the ball really well at times. Paddy Boyle was excellent, aggressive in the tackle and supported well going forward, deserved his Man of the Match and the fact he isn't getting pelters is helping him.

Thought Liam was quiet first half but came good later and held the ball up pretty well before he went off. Big Grehan did well in the air, would like to see him fill out a bit though and get a bit of weight on, he could become the presence we have been missing.

Paul Paton put not a bad ball in with his left foot aswell!! He did OK today I thought.

Pleased with the defence too.

In fact I'm f*ckin' delighted!!

was working today so missed gthe game, my phone ran out of battery so didnt hear the score on clyde 1 till about 5 o clock and nearly swerved across 2 lanes of the motorway screaming 'yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss, get it fcuking up yae harkins ya $@$%&*@ w4nker!

yeeha delighted, credit must go to big mad mental paddy boyle

anyone know where all the dundee fans are hiding on pie and bovril? :lol:

Really pleased with that performance, not a failure in the team, fantastic effort and commitment in every position, well organised, really enjoyable performance.

Thought the 3 man midfield was superb, Flannigan looks like a real find, the player Hodge should be, comfortable on the ball, always looking to create. Rowser was immense, as was Cairney. Grehan played well, won lots of flick ons, and was excellent in setting up the goal, has shades of Trigger about him, the raw ingredients. Buchanan is frustrating, sclaffing the ball all the time, doesnt strike it cleanly. Gets in the positions, hopefully he'll come good.

was working today so missed gthe game, my phone ran out of battery so didnt hear the score on clyde 1 till about 5 o clock and nearly swerved across 2 lanes of the motorway screaming 'yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss, get it fcuking up yae harkins ya $@$%&*@ w4nker!

yeeha delighted, credit must go to big mad mental paddy boyle

anyone know where all the dundee fans are hiding on pie and bovril? :lol:

I too missed the game as down south visiting family. Was standing outside York Minster when I heard score. Think the whole of York heard me !!!

Last week i felt sick when i heard score....tonight its out for a meal and a couple of celebratory drinks. Hope all who were there enjoyed themselves and it made up a bit for last weeks result.

WELL DONE EVERYONE but please BACK IT UP NEXT WEEK.

MON THE JAGS.

Not a bad player today.Excellent hunger and attitude from the whole team.Grehan looks to be the first big forward who isn't a diddy we've had for ages and his set up for the goal was superb.Well done to Boyle also for his performance despite a stupid booking.If Liam gets one goal he'll go on a run but he needs to get off the mark in league terms soon.

Better from McCall also in terms of formation and tactics but the only critisism is for a lot of the time today it was kick and rush with Grehan winning nintey percent of the headers against Dundee's center half the temptation was always there to punt it.We need to find the balance between a better passing game and having some cutting balls forward.

A good result and a great platform to build on and eh............HA,HA,HA,HA, Harkins you petulant tosser.

Usual shocking performance from all our players today against a very poor Dundee team. Blah blah blah blah negative w*nk candy. Loved it today - big flags, Harkins getting IRU him by Paul Cairney, Paddy Boyle's goal for himself to prove us wrong. All good - it doesn't make a season, but how many of us trooped up to Firhill today with darkness in our hearts? Better still, how many of us took us on our coupon?

It's BEER O'Clock

:drink2::clapping:

Superb team effort. I should imagine a neutral would have enjoyed the game today. I don't believe Dundee were at all bad apart from being a bit toothless up front. Even then that might be a bit unfair as our defending was generally excellent.

If we hadn't scored I guess Liam would be coming in for a good bit more stick but, like Grehan, Buchanan's work rate was excellent. The fact that Liam lasted 80+mins and Grehan the full game is worthy of note. Maybe what we lack in pace can be compensated someway by stamina and general fitness.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett