Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

pure guess here as before my time, but is it the very famous goal scored by Dan McLindon?

Certainly is. I was a boy at the time and was one the kids who had a mini pitch invasion. Mum and Dad weren't too happy when they saw me on the Scotort clip that evening nor when I appeared in the Express photo .

What a goal and I agree it is the best Jags goal I've ever seen.

if my memory is correct it was an orange ball that was used as there was snow/heavy frost on the ground

is that an orange ball in the photie :thinking:

Certainly doesn't look like it...... I guess ID's of the United players would be necessary to know exactly what match it is. Incidentally, we had a pretty good home record against them in the mid 60's, usually either winning or drawing.

Celtic at Parkhead. King Billy and Willie "hands on hips" Wallace.

Narrows it down to 10 games but Wallace and McNeil only played in 7 of them together.

THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION LOOK AWAY NOW.

I think this is McNeil ramming home a corner in an 8-1 win on 27 Dec 1969. (Hughes (3), Auld (2), Wallace (2), McNeil).

Ritchie, Campbell, Holt, Johnston, McKinnon, Hansen, Rae, SMITH, Bone, Flanagan, Duncan. (Gray).

As to who the Thistle player is...it can't be Gray as he came on at h-t for the injured McKinnon and McNeil had already scored. Think I would recognise the rest except for Billy Johnston. Not a player I remember.

as a trainee reporter on the sunday post my duties included providing midweek match reports for our sister paper, the dundee courier.

after this particular game, jock stein roundly berated me - with a measure of justification i must concede almost half a century on - for devoting one third of my report to the beautiful masterpiece that was the thistle goal.

he also pointed out, that phrases such as 'celtic broke away again to score a fourth...' and 'against the run of play the home side added a sixth...' were not the stuff of pulitzer prize-winning journalism (his actual choice of words are not fsuitable or a family forum).

in 1982, by which time i had joined reuters in fleet street, i had occasion to visit the scotland camp during the world cup in spain.

'look who comes,' announced big jock not unkindly, 'mister partick f*****g thistle!'

• Like 7

as a trainee reporter on the sunday post my duties included providing midweek match reports for our sister paper, the dundee courier.

after this particular game, jock stein roundly berated me - with a measure of justification i must concede almost half a century on - for devoting one third of my report to the beautiful masterpiece that was the thistle goal.

he also pointed out, that phrases such as 'celtic broke away again to score a fourth...' and 'against the run of play the home side added a sixth...' were not the stuff of pulitzer prize-winning journalism (his actual choice of words are not fsuitable or a family forum).

in 1982, by which time i had joined reuters in fleet street, i had occasion to visit the scotland camp during the world cup in spain.

'look who comes,' announced big jock not unkindly, 'mister partick f*****g thistle!'

:clapping:

What makes this the bestest everest goal, pray tell?

because he dribbled poast the entire dundee united team (twice!), his own players (three times), round the ballboys, down the tunnel, through the saturday afternoon shoppers in the garscube road, back through the turnstiles, and around a dozen or so bobbies before - finally! - depsositing the ball in the net. andy roxburgh scored a hat-trick that day and no-one noticed...

• Like 2

because he dribbled poast the entire dundee united team (twice!), his own players (three times), round the ballboys, down the tunnel, through the saturday afternoon shoppers in the garscube road, back through the turnstiles, and around a dozen or so bobbies before - finally! - depsositing the ball in the net. andy roxburgh scored a hat-trick that day and no-one noticed...

Slight exaggeration Rob, it was only 6 bobbies!! I got AR to autograph my proggie that day. He was a really nice guy. Spoke to this young star struck fan and his dad for a good 10 minutes outside the players entrance. We waited for Danny to come out but he was either getting blootered in the dressing room or had passed out due to the sheer brilliance of the goal.

• Like 1

as a trainee reporter on the sunday post my duties included providing midweek match reports for our sister paper, the dundee courier. after this particular game, jock stein roundly berated me - with a measure of justification i must concede almost half a century on - for devoting one third of my report to the beautiful masterpiece that was the thistle goal. he also pointed out, that phrases such as 'celtic broke away again to score a fourth...' and 'against the run of play the home side added a sixth...' were not the stuff of pulitzer prize-winning journalism (his actual choice of words are not fsuitable or a family forum). in 1982, by which time i had joined reuters in fleet street, i had occasion to visit the scotland camp during the world cup in spain. 'look who comes,' announced big jock not unkindly, 'mister partick f*****g thistle!'

So Big Jock knew eh !

You missed out 3 wee blue 'disabled' cars, but otherwise a complete, unexaggerated recollection of the event.

Could it be Dougie Somner?

Somner and Joe Craig played in the same match against Dunfermline on Nov 1st 1975 (1-1; John Craig). The state of the pitch suggests it's not an opening league game.

Does the strip not suggest the season before? I think the only thing that vaguely helps is the position on the field indicating a fellow striker.