Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

On 4/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, Lenziejag said:

Not saying it isn’t, although it looks more like Donnie McKinnon to me. Probably wasn’t even playing then.

Donnie MacKinnon and Brian Ralston both played in the Stranraer game though I`m sure my boyhood hero, Donnie, would never give away a penalty! lol!

1 hour ago, Duncan Tom said:

Donnie MacKinnon and Brian Ralston both played in the Stranraer game though I`m sure my boyhood hero, Donnie, would never give away a penalty! lol!

I still remember Donnie's superb headed (and only?) goal, against Hibs at Firhill. In came a corner kick from the shed side up at the north end, and Donnie ran into the penalty box (unchallenged, I think) and sweetly headed the ball high into the net from around 16 yards. A belter!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

A friend just sent me this one. I don't remember seeing it here before (I might even have posted it!), but I love it.

I feel kinda sorry for the young guys today who never knew the shed and the north terracing, especially when the

wee roof still existed. I wonder if there is there any tv footage of Firhill still existing from back then.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1619351115089-1.jpg

The pie /bovril stall up the north end used to be a bit of a riot ....Guys all just pushing and shoving there way to the front to get served......Happy Days............

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I still remember Donnie's superb headed (and only?) goal, against Hibs at Firhill. In came a corner kick from the shed side up at the north end, and Donnie ran into the penalty box (unchallenged, I think) and sweetly headed the ball high into the net from around 16 yards. A belter!

Yes, that was his only goal - 28th September 1968!

On 4/26/2021 at 11:59 PM, Duncan Tom said:

Yes, that was his only goal - 28th September 1968!

I might have missed this, but is there any justifiable reason why Donnie MacKinnon, with over 220 performances, isn't yet in the Partick Thistle Hall of Fame ?

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, Jaggernaut said:

I might have missed this, but is there any justifiable reason why Donnie MacKinnon, with over 220 performances, isn't yet in the Partick Thistle Hall of Fame ?

Like many others with long and loyal service, they took years to set foot back in Firhill after the way they left. Willie Sharp didn't go back for years and only returned when Bill Shankly asked him to go the 1976 centenary dinner. Jimmy Davidson (still not in the Hall of Fame) left under a cloud as did Johnny MacKenzie.

I'm sure one of the first things of the John Lambie era was Donnie MacKinnon & Kenny Watson being shown the door at the same time.

MacKinnon, Donnie sacked Nov 1988 [PTFC].jpg

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, Jaggernaut said:

As well as athletics, boxing, the dugs, rugby, and a few others Firhill also used to get used for ice skating.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1617523561836.jpg

There was something magical about a snow-bound pitch, an orange ball and floodlights...

Edited by robphil

2 hours ago, stuthejag said:

Like many others with long and loyal service, they took years to set foot back in Firhill after the way they left. Willie Sharp didn't go back for years and only returned when Bill Shankly asked him to go the 1976 centenary dinner. Jimmy Davidson (still not in the Hall of Fame) left under a cloud as did Johnny MacKenzie.

I'm sure one of the first things of the John Lambie era was Donnie MacKinnon & Kenny Watson being shown the door at the same time.

MacKinnon, Donnie sacked Nov 1988 [PTFC].jpg

I'd never seen that. Interesting, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

No takers Stu. Celtic @ Parkhead is as far as I got.  Tell all!

Just... maybe.... a very young Davie McParland below the no. 9's oxter?

One of the Ticsters looks a bit like John Clark, but surely the picture is too early.....!

Edited by Jaggernaut

1 minute ago, East Kent Jag II said:

The Celtic goalkeeper  looks like Frank Haffey to me.  That would pin down the game from 1957 to 1964!!

AFK is right - spill the beans!!

Don't actually know 100%, it is at the piggery and it is Frank Haffey for Celtic. Could by George Smith or Joe Hogan for us.

• Thanks 1