Just In....

javeajag

Where's Muirhead? He deserves a run in the team more than this guy.

Muirhead has shown himself in previous games not to be up to the level expected in the top flight.

O'Donnell, Seaborne, Frans and McMillian is our best back four option in my opinion.

In the midfield we either play with Elliot or Craigen, not both.

Bannigan is now at the age where his talents must be displayed week in week out, this is not happening...in a league full of pensioners and Clydesdale horses he should be a shining diamond, this is not the case. He had a good game yesterday because that is his natural position, it also allows him to support the midfield, and support only. I’ll give you a wee clue, it’s not only what the player does when the balls at his feet, it’s what he does off the ball; this is why his career is on the brink. At one point in the first half he had a shooting opportunity, and passed.... QED.

We must stop supporting mediocrity never forget Piccolo..... quod erat demonstrandum

That's news to me. I suspect that would be news to Archie. More to the point , news to Stuart. I can remember him saying, just after he played at right back for 45mins, that he doesn't mind playing left back (or even right back) but central midfield is his favoured position. Just out of interest I wonder what part of Bannigan's 90 mins at Inverness would convince anyone he wasn't playing in his natural position.

• Members

My point is a simple one. The defence has improved this season, Archie's tactical skill seem not to have improved, which has been a contributory factor in the number of late goals we have conceded. Hence my suggestion that he gets some help and advice in that area. Any other business would help their manager to plug gaps in his/her skills. Why not in football management?

Do you not think that Archie has taken action on the late goals problem by bringing in 2 new central defenders in Seaborne and Frans? Freddy hasn't had much chance to make a meaningful impression so far having only played a handful of games after not having a pre-season with the Club. Once up to full speed, I think him and big Dan will have the potential to be one of the best central defensive partnerships I have seen in my 40 odd years supporting the Jags.

And we'll have Archie to thank for that.

• Like 2

30 percent of league goals conceded this season have come in the last 5 mins of games. That is not explained by describing the final shot on goal or the absence of key players as other posters suggest. Of course the defence has improved over last season, but it does not explain the disproportionate number of goals conceded at the very end of games. Something else is happening, and the Club needs to find the cause.

30 percent of league goals conceded this season have come in the last 5 mins of games. That is not explained by describing the final shot on goal or the absence of key players as other posters suggest. Of course the defence has improved over last season, but it does not explain the disproportionate number of goals conceded at the very end of games. Something else is happening, and the Club needs to find the cause.

There is a big psychological factor in this not only from us but the opposition as well. After St Mirrens late goal Tommy Craig said we were a side known to lose late goals and told his team to push on. Teams will always think they have a chance if theyre a goal down late on against us.

If I knew what Game Management was I would suggest that's what we need.

Edited by angry gaz

Not taking anything away from the eljaggo argument but not scoring a further goal towards the end of game is just as big a failing. Opposition defences are at their weakest late on when they're chasing a game. Often our inability to kill a game with another goal is just as blameworthy as not seeing a game out at one goal to the good. As time passes we'll only remember Conrad's og and not the wasted opportunities to score in the last half hour when Dundee finally came out their shell.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I wonder if our wee gang of boo boys are sitting watching MOTD2 and the endless stream of glaring misses and misplaced passes in the first two games, from some of the best players in world football.

And thinking to themselves, I must look like a right tit hiding behind my keyboard criticising young boys on 500 quid a week, doing their best they can, for my club.

• Like 6

I wonder if our wee gang of boo boys are sitting watching MOTD2 and the endless stream of glaring misses and misplaced passes in the first two games, from some of the best players in world football.

And thinking to themselves, I must look like a right tit hiding behind my keyboard criticising young boys on 500 quid a week, doing their best they can, for my club.

Can't argue with this.

I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to be happy with the result on Saturday. I felt like we didn't show enough hunger when we weren't on the ball, we lacked a bit of belief and came away with a draw in a game that was there for the taking, it was terribly frustrating.....

But, some of the reactions on here really are ridiculous. Perspective is a difficult thing to gain sometimes. We were one freakish deflection away from this thread being half the size. Sure we have a problem with conceding late goals, and the team needs a bit more belief and organisation at times, but have any of you ever seen a Jags team that hasn't had problems? I concede that I've only been going to games for 3 decades or so, but this season could be the closest I've ever seen my team to seriously mounting a challenge for a high finish in the top division. And it looks like we're slowly improving. That's what I see if I step away from the temporary frustrations of Saturday, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 2

I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to be happy with the result on Saturday. I felt like we didn't show enough hunger when we weren't on the ball, we lacked a bit of belief and came away with a draw in a game that was there for the taking, it was terribly frustrating.....

But, some of the reactions on here really are ridiculous. Perspective is a difficult thing to gain sometimes. We were one freakish deflection away from this thread being half the size. Sure we have a problem with conceding late goals, and the team needs a bit more belief and organisation at times, but have any of you ever seen a Jags team that hasn't had problems? I concede that I've only been going to games for 3 decades or so, but this season could be the closest I've ever seen my team to seriously mounting a challenge for a high finish in the top division. And it looks like we're slowly improving. That's what I see if I step away from the temporary frustrations of Saturday, but maybe I'm wrong.

Too much sense in that post.

:happy2:

As Paulo says "perspective is a difficult thing to gain sometimes"

http://i.imgur.com/Kjjk8.jpg

• Like 1

Muirhead has had a long list of injuries last season and underwent surgery at the start of the season.

He hasn't impressed in the games he has appeared in but it's harsh to say that he's worse than Balatoni when he hasn't had a run of games.

I can't think of any game that Balatoni has impressed either. A number that he has made an arse of himself though, especially last season.

Many good points made so far, including that the team is still dependent on counter-attacks to make an impression. Stevenson may be the solution to that. He also seems to be the "bad boy" that any successful team needs.

The standard of refereeing didn't, on first impressions, seem to affect the outcome, but it speaks for itself when Bannigan can be penalised for being the filling in a sandwich. However, perhaps Elliott being booted in the head affected matters more than we realised.

The stats in one Sunday newspaper were interesting because they showed our team with 13 shots off-target. Obviously, if there had been more accuracy in shooting, the final goal would only have merited a footnote.

Craigen tends to lose the ball to the opposition, which is worrying. If he scored more often, perhaps it would be a price worth paying, but that seems a forlorn hope too.

It will be good to see Frans and McMillan back in position, but overall the team performed well defensively. If there is a complaint, it must be that Seaborne sees it as necessary to head the ball as far upfield as possible, although there may be better options, such as heading it to someone in his own team, which may entail sending it in another direction, or even just killing the ball and cutting out the head tennis from time to time. (Less concussion might lead to better decision-making. :D )

Losing the late goal on Saturday was obviously hard to take for everybody but I thought we did reasonably well throughout the game and it was pleasing to see that we look like a much better team than Dundee. If I had to apportion blame I wouldn't be looking to the defence for the loss of the two points through the late goal (yes, it was avoidable) but more so the attack, for not putting the game to bed earlier. We had more than enough chances and more than enough of the ball in the last third to create more chances to win that game twice over. I thought we defended very well and controlled large amounts of possession throughout the game but we just lacked creativity in the final third. Again.

I thought one thing that did make a bit of a difference was dropping Craigen back and pushing Fraser forward later in the second half. We certainly looked a bit more of a threat after that but still weren't productive enough. Bannigan was very good at full back although we missed him in the middle of the park and I thought the rest of the defence played relatively well. How Abdul Osman didn't get man of the match is beyond me. He didn't put a foot wrong in the first half, winning every 50/50 tackle and totally stole the show as far as I was concerned. Wasn't as effective in second half but still better than most. The abuse Craigen is receiving these days is now beyond a joke. He didn't have a great game but people seem to be desperate for him to make a mistake so they can get on his back. I watched Higgy give the ball away three times in a row where he received only a couple of quiet groans. Craigen does it once and folk are up out their seats screaming at the boy. I've said it before - James Craigen is never going to be the world's best footballer but his tireless running allied with his hunger and desire are the reasons the manager puts him in the team in the first place. He never hides (despite the abuse he has to take) and you could see what it meant to him to score on Saturday. If I were picking my best Thistle eleven he probably wouldn't be in it but if all the players put in the same amount of effort in as he does I'd be very happy.

Christie Elliott seems to be a more accepted figure these days. It used to be "Craigen and Elliott" but seems that James is on his own now. Elliott's defensive work is why he is in the team. He does break a lot of opposition attacks down and shows fantastic effort, I just get frustrated with him when he can't do the simple things right when we are going forward. It's almost as if he is playing for the team that doesn't have the ball at the time. He is another though whose endeavour cannot be faulted.

Ryan Stevenson has improved over the last few weeks - he has upped his work rate and seems to be winning the fans over but I would still like to see more. It seems to come in fits and starts and I was watching him walking around in parts of the game while others were running past him. Surely he is fit by now? For me, he is not a striker. He doesn't make the natural runs a striker does, he doesn't get in the positions a striker does and he doesn't link up the way a striker does. He will get some goals playing up front but not as many as a decent striker will. I think this is what we are desperately lacking. It was no coincidence that when Lyle Taylor came to the club last season we started playing better. Although he wasn't as prolific a goalscorer for as us some may think, other players flourished around him and confidence grew (look at Higgy for example). I don't think Doolan is the man for that and I certainly don't think Stevenson is either. Problem is, where do we get one?

I would have possibly liked to have seen Lawless or McDaid come on to help try and get the second goal but, from what Archie has said, he seems to have thought we were comfortable (which we were) and perhaps didn't want to disrupt this unnecessarily.

It's amazing the difference one untidy own goal makes. This forum would have been full of people raving about all the good performances on Saturday had we held out but instead, some people have to find their scapegoats and pin all the blame on them, whether it be Archie, Craigen or even Jaggy McBee.

• Like 1

Losing the late goal on Saturday was obviously hard to take for everybody but I thought we did reasonably well throughout the game and it was pleasing to see that we look like a much better team than Dundee. If I had to apportion blame I wouldn't be looking to the defence for the loss of the two points through the late goal (yes, it was avoidable) but more so the attack, for not putting the game to bed earlier. We had more than enough chances and more than enough of the ball in the last third to create more chances to win that game twice over. I thought we defended very well and controlled large amounts of possession throughout the game but we just lacked creativity in the final third. Again.

I thought one thing that did make a bit of a difference was dropping Craigen back and pushing Fraser forward later in the second half. We certainly looked a bit more of a threat after that but still weren't productive enough. Bannigan was very good at full back although we missed him in the middle of the park and I thought the rest of the defence played relatively well. How Abdul Osman didn't get man of the match is beyond me. He didn't put a foot wrong in the first half, winning every 50/50 tackle and totally stole the show as far as I was concerned. Wasn't as effective in second half but still better than most. The abuse Craigen is receiving these days is now beyond a joke. He didn't have a great game but people seem to be desperate for him to make a mistake so they can get on his back. I watched Higgy give the ball away three times in a row where he received only a couple of quiet groans. Craigen does it once and folk are up out their seats screaming at the boy. I've said it before - James Craigen is never going to be the world's best footballer but his tireless running allied with his hunger and desire are the reasons the manager puts him in the team in the first place. He never hides (despite the abuse he has to take) and you could see what it meant to him to score on Saturday. If I were picking my best Thistle eleven he probably wouldn't be in it but if all the players put in the same amount of effort in as he does I'd be very happy.

Christie Elliott seems to be a more accepted figure these days. It used to be "Craigen and Elliott" but seems that James is on his own now. Elliott's defensive work is why he is in the team. He does break a lot of opposition attacks down and shows fantastic effort, I just get frustrated with him when he can't do the simple things right when we are going forward. It's almost as if he is playing for the team that doesn't have the ball at the time. He is another though whose endeavour cannot be faulted.

Ryan Stevenson has improved over the last few weeks - he has upped his work rate and seems to be winning the fans over but I would still like to see more. It seems to come in fits and starts and I was watching him walking around in parts of the game while others were running past him. Surely he is fit by now? For me, he is not a striker. He doesn't make the natural runs a striker does, he doesn't get in the positions a striker does and he doesn't link up the way a striker does. He will get some goals playing up front but not as many as a decent striker will. I think this is what we are desperately lacking. It was no coincidence that when Lyle Taylor came to the club last season we started playing better. Although he wasn't as prolific a goalscorer for as us some may think, other players flourished around him and confidence grew (look at Higgy for example). I don't think Doolan is the man for that and I certainly don't think Stevenson is either. Problem is, where do we get one?

I would have possibly liked to have seen Lawless or McDaid come on to help try and get the second goal but, from what Archie has said, he seems to have thought we were comfortable (which we were) and perhaps didn't want to disrupt this unnecessarily.

It's amazing the difference one untidy own goal makes. This forum would have been full of people raving about all the good performances on Saturday had we held out but instead, some people have to find their scapegoats and pin all the blame on them, whether it be Archie, Craigen or even Jaggy McBee.

Too much sense in all of that. But provide good balls, even half-chances to Doolan in the box, and he will score; it's a shame he's not being allowed to do it much these days.

Firhill fans ALWAYS have to have a scapegoat, even during the most successful times. Erskine used to get it all the time from two guys that used to sit beside me and this was even during his outstanding Championship winning season. Frankly it was unbelievable. I really feel sorry for Craigan. The guy tries his heart out and that is good enough for me. I have seen plenty of wasters over the seasons that haven't given a monkey's, you certainly can't say that about James. I am not sure what these people are trying to achieve. If you are spending your hard earned to go to the match, for Gods sake support the team and encourage them......you might just see improvement from the players you are barracking. I have seen some spangles in a Jags jersey over all the years I have followed the club but I can put hand on heart and say I have never ever barracked a jags player.....not even Bryan Purdie...possibly the worst central defender ever to grace a jags jersey!!

Edited by Lindau

So it seems because some people disagree with you, you chuck the dummy out, go in a huff and scream abuse.

Playing full-time top league football, worse than doing a 12 hour slog on a building site, poor lads.

Aye, like open a twitter account and give retweets like Cragsy, Conrad and Christie?

Edited by Hankey

So it seems because some people disagree with you, you chuck the dummy out, go in a huff and scream abuse.

Playing full-time top league football, worse than doing a 12 hour slog on a building site, poor lads.

It's my bad, certainly no dummy throwing, going in a huff or screaming abuse on my part, but it can be quite frustrating reading someone's opinion, when they quite clearly don't understand the game of football.

I'm not really sure of the relevance of your second paragraph, you'll need to expand on it.

Edited by potty trained