Willie Collum

stillresigned

See Collum's as good as ever shocking sending off of MacManus and a few classic Gollum decisions.

PS We'll not bother about the patronising coverage of Thistle, again on Sportscene!!!

Thought it was a poor decision with Stephen Mcmanus but although Collum is a very poor ref he is certainly not alone.

Watched some really poor ref decisions from the English Prem a few days ago and think the standard is poor everywhere.

Common sense is not applied these days and they can't tell the difference with a good hard tackle, mistimed tackle or a dangerous tackle.

I see the standard at Youth level and believe me it's not any better.down there with regards to what is coming through.

Edited by billko
  • Like 1

My problem with Collum is he clearly has no rapport with the players. Both Madden and Beaton (today's ref) are more than often hopeless but at least there remains some semblance of mutual respect. Collum adopts a totally dictatorial attitude, which would be acceptable if he rarely made errors.

Not sure whether it's arrogance or just a counter for an inferiority complex but the end product is the same. Refs are an easy target and the nature of their job is bound to raise controversy but this clown rarely goes a week without being the centre of attraction. Fast tracking this guy was obviously an error not of his making, which may even go some way to explain his Little Hitlerite body language. Scottish football fans tho' are the real losers who are far too often short changed when Collum's performance is inevitably the major talking point.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the fuss here. Michael Stewart was spouting some nonsense on Sportscene. If Collum thinks it struck McManus' arm and that it was in an unnatural position then he has no choice but to send him off because there is a foul and it denies a clear goalscoring opportunity. This particular incident was not so clear cut that you would expect referees to get the call about the margins between a deliberate and non-deliberate hand-ball so-defined in the rules correct every time. If the panel comes to the view that McManus did in fact hit it with his shoulder and not the upper part of his arm, then fine, but as far as bad decisions go, this is one of the more forgivable ones for referees that watch this in real time.

I really don't understand the fuss here. Michael Stewart was spouting some nonsense on Sportscene. If Collum thinks it struck McManus' arm and that it was in an unnatural position then he has no choice but to send him off because there is a foul and it denies a clear goalscoring opportunity. This particular incident was not so clear cut that you would expect referees to get the call about the margins between a deliberate and non-deliberate hand-ball so-defined in the rules correct every time. If the panel comes to the view that McManus did in fact hit it with his shoulder and not the upper part of his arm, then fine, but as far as bad decisions go, this is one of the more forgivable ones for referees that watch this in real time.

I don't know what Mcmanus can do with his arms in this situation to avoid the contact.as they are close to his body when the ball connects.

The ball was hit firmly at a close distance and I don't think he moves his arms to a position that you could say was a deliberate attempt to block the ball illegally

Refs have to be 100% spot on to give a decision but to me they just go on guesswork most of the time.and get too many big decisons wrong.

It's very difficult at times for refs but they don't do themselves many favours with some decisions they are too quick to give without a wee bit of thought and common sense.applied.to them.

Edited by billko

To be fair to Collum, I can see why he gave the McManus decision. I'm not saying it was the correct one but there is movement from his hand to ball even though he doesn't touch the ball with his hand. Without the luxury of TV replay, watching that incident in real time it's pretty easy to see why he gave it.

He's still an odious wee creep but I think folk were looking for him to make a big mistake this game. This was an easy mistake to make...

I'm sure I read somewhere that Collum is responsible for 1 in 4 of all penalties and 1 in 4 of all red cards dished out in the premiership this season

Just seen it - 22 out of 79 penalties (28%) have been awarded by him and 19 of 72 red cards (26%) have been given by him

Edited by Norgethistle

I'm sure I read somewhere that Collum is responsible for 1 in 4 of all penalties and 1 in 4 of all red cards dished out in the premiership this season

Just seen it - 22 out of 79 penalties (28%) have been awarded by him and 19 of 72 red cards (26%) have been given by him

Those stats are shocking. He is a dreadful ref with absolutely no common sense and these stats prove it.

It would be interesting to see a break down of the teams awarded penalties/ given red cards by him. It may just be me, but it always seems to be the bigger clubs getting the penalties and the smaller clubs the cards. A feeble attempt to be popular?

This guy should not be a referee full stop. At least not in the premiership.

Edited by read'n'yell

Bit of stats:

Year - Games - Yellow - Red

14/15 - 26 - 95 - 10

13/14 - 46 - 130 - 16

12/13 - 52 - 177 - 10

11/12 - 43 - 142 - 9

10/11 - 33 - 104 - 13

09/10 - 27 - 52 - 7

08/09 - 33 - 106 - 9

07/08 - 31 - 106 - 9

06/07 - 31 - 114 - 7

05/06 - 23 - 60 - 6

04/05 - 8 - 22 - 5

10 years 353 games 1106 yellow cards 102 red cards.

Wasn't sure what to compare it against (other than a different ref) but in comparison to us last season we got 6 red cards in roughly 45 games. So that's a red every 8.5 games. Collum averages a red every 3.5 games. Likewise 74 yellows, so just less than 2 a game, Collum averages 3 a game. Plus we have Bannigan and Higginbotham!

Anyway, no amount of stats can change anyones opinion on the Worlds Top Worst Referee.

Bit of stats:

Year - Games - Yellow - Red

14/15 - 26 - 95 - 10

13/14 - 46 - 130 - 16

12/13 - 52 - 177 - 10

11/12 - 43 - 142 - 9

10/11 - 33 - 104 - 13

09/10 - 27 - 52 - 7

08/09 - 33 - 106 - 9

07/08 - 31 - 106 - 9

06/07 - 31 - 114 - 7

05/06 - 23 - 60 - 6

04/05 - 8 - 22 - 5

10 years 353 games 1106 yellow cards 102 red cards.

Wasn't sure what to compare it against (other than a different ref) but in comparison to us last season we got 6 red cards in roughly 45 games. So that's a red every 8.5 games. Collum averages a red every 3.5 games. Likewise 74 yellows, so just less than 2 a game, Collum averages 3 a game. Plus we have Bannigan and Higginbotham!

Anyway, no amount of stats can change anyones opinion on the Worlds Top Worst Referee.

Looks like he's really going for it this year.