Alex Neil

jaggy

Good luck to the guy but does a season of management in the Championship (where they finished 2nd)) plus an excellent half season in the Premiership make him managerial material at Norwich??? I seriously doubt it. Hopefully Accies will fall down the table with that twat Canning in charge

Quite surprised by the move as well actually, maybe it will be a genius move. They have a good chance of promotion if he takes them to the Premier League that will be a real test!

Think Accies will keep up fairly decent performances at least until next season.

Funny old game, eh? Penalty shoot outs are by and large pretty random. If Hibs had come out on top I doubt even SPFL clubs would've been looking at Neil. His half season in charge tho' has been exceptional and his team ain't exactly full of stars so he's clearly not a poor manager. I'd suspect his man management skills will be tested fairly quickly. Good luck to him.

Don't think MacDonald is doing Canning any favours.

Agree, i'm actually jealous how well Hamilton are doing in their first season back, wish it was us right now in the top 6 and not far off the very top. Andreu and Anton-Curier have been fantastic this season, wonder if he would be tempted to try and take Andreu down with him.

• Like 1

Agree, i'm actually jealous how well Hamilton are doing in their first season back, wish it was us right now in the top 6 and not far off the very top. Andreu and Anton-Curier have been fantastic this season, wonder if he would be tempted to try and take Andreu down with him.

Accies have been outstanding this season, but I would bet they will be relegated before us. I'm sure if they had lost against us in August their season would be in a very different position and Mr Neil wouldn't be at Norwich now. That result seemed to galvanise them

Either Alex is a great manager or the team has some bottle, perhaps both? I thought their bubble had burst after getting beat off Dundee and then a run of bad results, possibly the most impressive thing from this season is bouncing back the way they have.

Thinking about it, if you take away a couple of those bad results and they would be top of the league!

Edited by Graemei

I think that circumstance has somewhat contributed. They got promoted, luckily, then had no money to sign many people. Got written off by any critic going and Neil managed to tell them to go out, work hard and you'll still be playing top flight football next year. Margins of winning are so tight in this league that a little extra effort goes a long way. I do believe if we had beaten them then they would never have gone on that run. Their bottle would have been burst and pressure may build. But we just spring boarded them onto the next level of confident.

It will be interesting but I really can not see championship players taking the hairdryer treatment well these days. As for the 'tactical genius' papers say he is when he was linked with Norwich - well if winning a game makes you a tactician then so be it. But Accies line up week in week out as 4-1-4-1 with pretty similar line ups every week. Hard working players plug holes in formations so think that's a bit of a by-product as well.

Anyway I may eat my words, but can't see it.

Pretty sure that Andreu is out of contract at the end of the season. Would expect him to follow Neill down to the Canaries this month

Perhaps good news for us although would rather see us improve rather than a team fragment as a means of competition.

Hamilton have been a breath of fresh air this season like Ross Co before reaching a level not expected from a "diddy team" from the lower league.

Good luck to AN at Carrow Road. At least if his goose is cooked in the end, Delia should be on hand to make it tasty!!

Edited by Peaty FC
  • Like 1

Yes but he was sitting in the Stand.

Only when he wasn't celebrating the goals :D

Great job for him to get and hope it all works out for him

It will be interesting to see how it goes for him building a side at this higher level in what is a very tough league, but with some decent financial backing behind him this time

Good luck to him.

Yes but he was sitting in the Stand.

your post is technically correct ..... in that he was viewing match from directors box until norwich went down to 10 men in 65 minutes (with score at 1-1), then he spent last 25 on touchline.

he was also in dressing room before match and at ht. and had to contend with losing his two cb's to injury during the game (one when he was in stand, one when in dugout).

to win your first match in charge, away to league leaders, who hadn't lost at home in four months, coming back from 1-0 down, with ten men ..... is not too shabby a start.

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 1

As my English team has been Ipswich since 1974 I should be hoping he fails miserably. As long as they don't finish above Ipswich this season I wish him all the best

Ipswich are my English team as well. Mainly through my mate who is from Suffolk and is a Blues die hard. We are in the process of forming a supporters club in Scotland. If interested PM me.

Perhaps good news for us although would rather see us improve rather than a team fragment as a means of competition.

Hamilton have been a breath of fresh air this season like Ross Co before reaching a level not expected from a "diddy team" from the lower league.

Good luck to AN at Carrow Road. At least if his goose is cooked in the end, Delia should be on hand to make it tasty!!

I thought you said "Deila" and were making a point regarding the current Celtic manager. I just could not make sense of it and presumed that either you or I were havering. Now I understand perfectly.

To be fair, after looking at Norwich's team and league position I can see why they've brought in Alex Neil. They want an instant results kinda guy that can make the best of what they have - which is easily a playoff winning team. The board don't want a well connected type for transfers as they want to do most themself anyway. Good start and wouldnt be surprised if he gets them into the playoffs or promoted, but this summer will be a real test.

• 4 months later...

To be fair, after looking at Norwich's team and league position I can see why they've brought in Alex Neil. They want an instant results kinda guy that can make the best of what they have - which is easily a playoff winning team. The board don't want a well connected type for transfers as they want to do most themself anyway. Good start and wouldnt be surprised if he gets them into the playoffs or promoted, but this summer will be a real test.

You were pretty accurate there!

He's done brilliantly. They were seventh when he arrived, and since he took over they've lost only 3 of 25 matches. I've liked Norwich ever since Jimmy Bone signed for them, and Carrow Road looks like a great (smallish) stadium. Hope they do well next season.

Ross County probably survived because they ditched their manager at the right time too.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (e.g. Butcher at Hibs).

I can't remember another example of one manager achieving so much with two different clubs in the same season. He left Hamilton (relegation favourites) with 39 points (one clear of the eventual ply-off place), and has then gone on to pull Norwich up to promotion. Very impressive.