Stephen O'donnell

DUFCFAN

Sounds like he's agreed a deal elsewhere and not informed the club.

Or had the good sense to look at the trainwreck that is Blackpool at the moment and said **** that don't fancy playing against ATS in league 1 next season

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/blackpool-fc/watford-7-blackpool-2-shame-of-the-club-that-threw-it-all-away-1-7070892

Edited by The Prince of Kadriorg

to be fair to him Blackpool arent in a good place just now so can understand his reluctance.. Also they may have offered 100k but id rather he stayed and helped us get a better finishing place for the prize money in our league compared to bringing in someone new midway through the season especially since we are so light at the back just now anyway..

• Like 2

Going to Blackpool could easily be career suicide, only see them falling further down the leagues which would make it almost impossible for him to move to a larger team when the one he would be playing for would be in continual decline (they may not end up like that, but I can see them ending up like Pompey in a year or 2).

He'll most likely go to Dundee Utd, or another Championship club may be alerted to him with Blackpool putting a bid in which might make them scout him until the end of the season. He's sure to go though & pocket something like £50k upwards as a signing on fee, can't blame him.

Why do you think he would get a signing on fee? Is that just because he'll be a free agent and will probably get a raft of offers? I don't know anything about players contracts.

it's just a shame from our point of view because £125 grand is better than the feck all we'll get now.

Seems to be common practice & is often cited (rumoured) as a reason for a player running down his contract, possibly rejecting a new deal at his current club or rejecting advances of clubs with 6 months of a contract to run.

If SOD signed a 1yr extension with us, I'd still expect clubs to want him come the summer, but the transfer fee they'd have to pay would limit any reward going to him (unless a massive club tried to sign him), hence why players rarely sign a deal when they know they will be in demand in 6 months time.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

To be honest he has to do what is best financially and professionally for himself. His share of a signing on fee will be greater if he leaves in the summer - although McNamara and Corner Shop boy are probably very tight when it comes to such things - and he perhaps prefers to stay in a top division albeit in perhaps a lesser league structure - bigger fish/smaller pond.

There might be a back story going on but frankly that's his business.

Given that so much of our attacking play relies on the left and right backs, I'm surprised we agreed to £100,000 so very pleased with this bit of news.

I realise he'll probably be away in the summer but his kind words about the club we love will ensure he leaves with best wishes.

• Like 1

If SOD signs a new deal then I'll be happy he knocked back Blackpool but if he chooses to leave on a summer free then I'll be disappointed.

I'm sure he will still get a worthwhile signing on fee if he moves just now, so both him and the club win. If he chooses to take a bigger signing on fee in the summer then the extra money he pockets will be at the expense of Thistle.

The Cup,

I know this is off the wall, but I think we should sign every player we have on a three year rolling contract. At least, then we wouldn't be selling cheap. And those that stayed would have some security of contract.

I am not against being a selling club, as such. I am against being a bargain basement.