Just In

Third Lanark

You're right Dick, they do have a mortgage to pay. And so do I. They get paid more than me and I decide to balance my household income to allow me to afford following my team. An unrealistic proposition granted, but that's how bad I feel the team were last night. The worst performance for a long time and one I hope will never be repeated. Hoof football from both teams and a total waste of time and money. As for shouting insults etc, not my cup of tea. I don't do it.

Fair enough, you'd rather punish them financially.

The whole team?

Higginbotham, because he was terrible and went straight to the changing room? What if he was legitimately injured? No-one knows if he was or not.

Would you be docking Doolan money too - even though the service he receives is terrible? Surely if he's getting his pay docked he should be getting a lot more than everyone else for scoring four goals last week. Or maybe that gives him a pass this time?

What about Booth? That was his first game and no-one on here can agree if he was good or bad? So what pay should he get?

Your darned tooting it's an unrealistic proposition. It's dumb as hell.

After a result like Friday's you get the same over reactions and the usual stuff on what is wrong at Thistle with the manager getting most of the blame for it

Bottom line is you will always get results like that at any club and nothing can be done to prevent it happening again in the future.

Thistle lack some quality and with that lack of quality you will never have consistency, especially when the quality you do have is misfiring.

They have a side who will give their all in games and will try to play an attractive style of football when they can, but without that little bit extra quality you will find it hard to breakdown teams who set themselves up like St Mirren did.

Results will be up and down for the rest of the season and fans will need to take these bad results as they take the great results like the hammering dished out to Hamilton.

Maybe having some decent money made available could make the managers job easier getting that better player in but it's not going to happen, so as frustrating as it is it's difficult for him to find some consistency with this side.

A couple of injuries, suspensions.and players off form can make this team look a poor side, but when they get it right they can look a really good side and this is what will see them safe come the end of the season.

• Like 3

Well the evening after the night before.....

Everything about last night annoyed me. Once St Mirren scored early the script was written. They would sit in, waste time and try on occasion to hit us on the break and they did it well. We huffed and puffed, created a few half chances but they packed the centre of the defence and we could not get through.

The problem is we did not have anyone who could make a killer pass, beat a player to get a shot away or indeed do something different.

Annoyed, upset, depressed? Nah, seen this movie far to many times watching the Jags. We are at our level, competing in the lower half of the league. We don't have that 1 player that some teams around us have who is a game changer. Higgy once was that player, Lawless can be that player but not often enough. We need a different option up front. Dools is either excellent or cack, Never lacking effort though.

Are we in the relegation mix? Not yet. But a few poor results against the teams around us will soon change that. Another roller coaster end to the season I think.

I was really disappointed at last nights result but the reaction by some people is bordering on hysterical .I've seen posts slaughtering just about every player and the manager yet all of these player have been lauded at other times .So when they play badly it's the managers fault ?

Maybe they're not good enough but I think they just need to be more consistent. So how do they achieve that ?

Higginbotham, because he was terrible and went straight to the changing room? What if he was legitimately injured? No-one knows if he was or not.

Would you be docking Doolan money too - even though the service he receives is terrible? Surely if he's getting his pay docked he should be getting a lot more than everyone else for scoring four goals last week. Or maybe that gives him a pass this

Your darned tooting it's an unrealistic proposition. It's dumb as hell.

Dick, Higgy did not limp off the pitch. He did not appear injured and did not acknowledge the bench/management. If he was injured, it certainly wasn't anything that would have stopped him watching the rest of the game. Put yourself in his position and tell me what you would do? I would always sit with my team mates and see the game out. You can use the bad service all day long for Dools, and you are right, but it doesn't take away the fact that he has to challenge better for balls, both in the air and on the ground. He is brushed off the ball to easily and needs to show more strength. What's wrong with recognising that? Hopefully he will get some more gym work in that improve that part of his game.

I think you're a bit too focused on the docking wages thing. The point being, if I performed as badly at work. I wouldn't be paid. I brought a family friend to the game, his first Jags game. He paid his £22 to get in and said it was the worst game of football he has ever seen. Bad timing on his part, and a bad performance from the team.

• Like 1

After a result like Friday's you get the same over reactions and the usual stuff on what is wrong at Thistle with the manager getting most of the blame for it

Bottom line is you will always get results like that at any club and nothing can be done to prevent it happening again in the future.

Thistle lack some quality and with that lack of quality you will never have consistency, especially when the quality you do have is misfiring.

They have a side who will give their all in games and will try to play an attractive style of football when they can, but without that little bit extra quality you will find it hard to breakdown teams who set themselves up like St Mirren did.

Results will be up and down for the rest of the season and fans will need to take these bad results as they take the great results like the hammering dished out to Hamilton.

Maybe having some decent money made available could make the managers job easier getting that better player in but it's not going to happen, so as frustrating as it is it's difficult for him to find some consistency with this side.

A couple of injuries, suspensions.and players off form can make this team look a poor side, but when they get it right they can look a really good side and this is what will see them safe come the end of the season.

Shameful that on a Thistle forum the intelligent voice of reason can be from a "Rangers" fan.

Bit of respect here folks for those on either side of the argument.

Perhaps a stat only the Jukebox Rebel could furnish but I'd like to know what our average overall league position has been, let's say since yon celebrated former Dundee MP's funeral. We're currently 9th top club in Scotland. Does our current placing represent an above or below average position over the last 50 years?

Whatever the answer re average league position it doesn't excuse last night's abysmal performance. Nor does it mean even if we're currently positioned on a relative high we shouldn't have even higher aspirations. At the same time when there's never any positive reference to our current status I find the continual slagging of the Club, players and manager by some as ridiculously tiresome. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and like constructive criticism.

• Like 4

Bit of respect here folks for those on either side of the argument.

Perhaps a stat only the Jukebox Rebel could furnish but I'd like to know what our average overall league position has been, let's say since yon celebrated former Dundee MP's funeral. We're currently 9th top club in Scotland. Does our current placing represent an above or below average position over the last 50 years?

Whatever the answer re average league position it doesn't excuse last night's abysmal performance. Nor does it mean even if we're currently positioned on a relative high we shouldn't have even higher aspirations. At the same time when there's never any positive reference to our current status I find the continual slagging of the Club, players and manager by some as ridiculously tiresome. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and like constructive criticism.

this with bells on ,,!,,

Absolutely but the players need direction from a leader whether that be on or off the park (preferably both).

It was absent from both last night. The manager stood on the touchline arms folded the majority of the time.

The most he got animated was with the Osman 'foul' on Osbourne & in the last few minutes throwing the ball back in quicker.

He doesn't need to scream or shout to be.a leader but to stand impassively & watch us lump high balls aimlessly isn't leading either.

You write some pish but this takes the cake.

That you think a manager can influence a result by his demeanour on the sideline shows that you're approaching football with the mindset of a twelve year old.

We were poor but not abysmal, a lucky goal for us like they'd scored would have seen us win easily as they would have had to come out more. Would love to know the 'penalty box entries' stats, reckon we'd have been about ten to one. The shame, of course, is that most of our crosses and or passes into the area were empty threats.

Edited by madcapmilkdrinker

You write some pish but this takes the cake.

That you think a manager can influence a result by his demeanour on the sideline shows that you're approaching football with the mindset of a twelve year old.

We were poor but not abysmal, a lucky goal for us like they'd scored would have seen us win easily as they would have had to come out more. Would love to know the 'penalty box entries' stats, reckon we'd have been about ten to one. The shame, of course, is that most of our crosses and or passes into the area were empty threats.

So you're telling me that a manger can't affect the exult once on the field of play? Mad cap indeed!!

He can affect the result by making changes. Whether that be substitutions of tactical switches in play (other than swapping wingers). That involves unfolding his arms & doing something constructive.

What was lucky about their goal? The fact we couldn't clear a set piece (again)?

& we all know we can get the ball wide & into the box. The problem being that Doolan's is linking the play or isn't 12 feet tall.

The "we were unlucky" excuse the apologists use is wearing very thin.

We've been unlucky since the Hearts game on the 3rd game of last season.

Maybe we can get some luck and put together 2 decent performances in a row.

I don't think anybody is saying Thistle were unlucky as they were poor on the night.

The apologists are just realists and i have no idea where you expect this team to be at this stage

With the budget at his disposal it's very difficult to change anything and results will continue to be up and down.

You can see from games this season they can play good football and get good results and still a long way to go before we judge them on if it was a good season or not.

I have no doubt they will win back to back games but i also have no doubt it won't cut them any slack from you if they lost the next one after that.

I would really like to know the plan you have in mind of how things could be better.

What manager will come in to make it better and what kind of budget will he get to do this?

Maybe whoever it is has a magic wand :)

• Like 2

Who said anything about being unlucky? We were s#ite. It happens. How long have you been following Thistle, Cup? Just so we know

what you are benchmarking this team and manager against?

It's the same thing they are doing regards Archie saying we are a top 6 team. Archie Didn't say that. But the boo boys reckon if they repeat It often enough, folk will believe he said it.

madcapmilkdrinker wanted "a lucky goal". I think he wanted one of Fraser's aimless punts from 35 yards to bounce straight in.

I have been supporting the team for about 20 years. I've seen worse but I've seen better. This team of chancers would get wiped out by Lambie's SPL team.

FWIW Lambie wouldn't stand for the shite that Archibald's team turns out.

madcapmilkdrinker wanted "a lucky goal". I think he wanted one of Fraser's aimless punts from 35 yards to bounce straight in.

I have been supporting the team for about 20 years. I've seen worse but I've seen better. This team of chancers would get wiped out by Lambie's SPL team.

FWIW Lambie wouldn't stand for the shite that Archibald's team turns out.

Lambie's teams, much as I loved him and them, were largely full of journeyman pros signed up for a season or two at a time. Give me Archie's team any day, even with their frustrating inconsistencies.

Oh, those halcyon days under Lambie.

Who could forget when we finished tenth in the league, winning eight games the entire season, and finished with a goal difference of negative 21.

Nothing is as good as it used to be is it? And if it is, you can just stick your fingers in your ears and shout "Na Na Na Na Na!"

So you're telling me that a manger can't affect the exult once on the field of play? Mad cap indeed!!

He can affect the result by making changes. Whether that be substitutions of tactical switches ...

we did make three subs though. Maybe you missed them. Alan must have used telepathy to convey the changes he wanted I'm guessing.

That you're blaming the loss on the manager not doing star jumps on the sideline says a fair bit about you.

Who said anything about being unlucky? We were s#ite. It happens. How long have you been following Thistle, Cup? BGM? Just so we know

what you are benchmarking this team and manager against?

Killie, Dundee, Hamilton to name the 3 teams above us who are unlikely to finish in the bottom 2 because they know it's likely ourselves, St Mirren or Motherwell are certain to finish below them.

I started following Thistle the year after they won the league cup. Got 'dragged' along to 'Honved' game in Sept 72 & rest is history!

What about yourself LSR? I'm guessing this is a 'better fan' question as unsure what point you're making.

As for Dick mentioning goal difference, does the fact that we have a positive GD but are languishing towards the wrong end of the bottom 8 teams not tell you that the manager isn't getting the best out of this squad.

Archibald got us up & kept us up but we've improved the squad in terms of experience & wage cost in the last 12 months as well as having a good number of new players & yet, as keep saying the same basic mistakes keep occurring. Set pieces, seeing games out, unable to change the game when team stifling us etc etc

The game has changed so much even since the Lambie era. Younger managers like Hartley, McNamara, Neill, McIness, Wright etc.

Though not all of them are a success.

If it's about taking us to the next level then yes you have to crawl before you walk but I honestly can't see any progression from this time last year.

The inconsistencies last year were based around not winning at home. This year... I dunno. Not sure the manager does either & that's the problem.

Remember this year's SPL is probably the weakest since its inception.

So, my questions are:

Is the football we're playing better/worse than last?

If the same mistakes keep occurring as they have done over past cpl seasons, then that along with the product will see less fans coming through the gates. Agree?

So, assuming we survive this season, what is the aim for next season? Survival again? But then chances are we'll need to replace half a team at end if this season.

When do you think fans should expect more from this current team?

Killie- not scored a goal from open play from playing us once to playing us next time.

St Mirren- first clean sheet in 31 games.

Motherwell- no wins since playing us last time.

Set pieces- corners in particular- are a shambles.

The same tactics employed at the start of every game.

Passing the ball to death in front of teams, playing pretty patterns but letting opposition get behind the ball.

The Dundee game at Firhill was fascinating. You saw it coming. We had chance after chance but only one up. Hartley rolled the dice & went 5 up top. We cracked.

St Mirren Fri night. We swapped players in the same formation then went with Dools & Stevenson up front with about 10 to go. Then we take off Doolan to bring in Ecclestone. Why not go for it? Take off a midfielder?

They had 3 back at their attacking set pieces. We leave one up. Contrast that to DU chasing game. They left 3 up front from our corner.

I think our manager is more reactive than proactive.

I still think we'll stay up. I don't think the current manager, as things currently stand, is the man to get us walking from crawling.

But then others on here have a different opinion.

Doesn't mean they're right or me wrong. Vice versa.

• Like 2

we did make three subs though. Maybe you missed them. Alan must have used telepathy to convey the changes he wanted I'm guessing.

That you're blaming the loss on the manager not doing star jumps on the sideline says a fair bit about you.

Maybe 'Alan' should sit in the JHS or North Stand & watch what we witnessed on Fri night.

See my post above re players at set pieces & Dundee game.

Then maybe 'Alan' has a game plan that he doesn't want to deviate from? Do you think 'Alan' is stubborn when it comes to that?

I've always been an Archie fan but it would be impossible to defend him on Friday night.It actually reminded me of Hibs under Butcher at times .He 's got enough experience now to step up a level in his management

. Our style has been sussed by every team in the league. He's not above criticism and shouldn't be blindly defended either but we should be remember the financial restrictions he's working under too and if he keeps us out of the playoffs then I would regard that as success.

My concern is we seem to be cr@p against the more defensive teams and when the split comes unless we have a change in style we could be in trouble. We have absolutely no attacking threat coming through the middle of the park on the deck which results in the ball going continually wide for a pointless cross to come in. Osman and Bannigan offer nothing as an attacking midfield which is a major problem for us.No one is charging into the box late to pick up cut backs leaving the option as an easily defended cross to Dools . A re think from Archie is needed and he needs to step up to the mark.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 2

Maybe 'Alan' should sit in the JHS or North Stand & watch what we witnessed on Fri night.

See my post above re players at set pieces & Dundee game.

Then maybe 'Alan' has a game plan that he doesn't want to deviate from? Do you think 'Alan' is stubborn when it comes to that?

What's with the inverted commas? I can only assume you think the manager's Christian name is exclusively know to insiders.

Oh, those halcyon days under Lambie.

Who could forget when we finished tenth in the league, winning eight games the entire season, and finished with a goal difference of negative 21.

Nothing is as good as it used to be is it? And if it is, you can just stick your fingers in your ears and shout "Na Na Na Na Na!"

That was a much much stronger league with pretty much every club barring ourselves paying wages they couldn't afford.