Defend The Indefensible

Bleeding Gums Murphy

But people who call themselves Thistle fans coming on here and gloating, with "told you so", apparently delighted that we've finally been found out and the "penny's dropping" with others... I'd defend our manager and our players against that every time. Confidence has dropped but I'll be backing the manager and every player until the end of the season, confident that they can pull together, hopefully with the fans behind them, and finish this off as a successful season.

Like I said to Dick, I don't spend the money I do to say " told you so".

The management team have been in place for 2 years. I don't think he's learning from mistakes nor do I think he has a "Plan B".

Don't forget it was the manager himself who said pre season we were working on different formations now that we'd survived season 1 in SPL.

I've yet to see us START with anything other than the same formation all season. Fair enough he changed it 2nd half today but to start with the team he did was criminal.

& before someone says it was team that beat them 4-0 up there, 2 things....

1) Away from home.

2) An experienced manager would've been once bitten... As was proven.

It's doesn't give me great pleasure to see any PTFC manager make an @rse of it, all I want is the best for PTFC.

As one poster told is through the week, though not in so many words, the signing of Taylor was a "get it up ye & round ye".

I've no doubt he'll be on in a bit to tell us that it was only a cup,game etc but it's happening too often on league & cup now in sense of team not turning up for large parts of match & the manager seemingly unable to change it until it's too late.

3 of our last 4 halves of football have been nothing short of awful. It's going to affect attendances as well as frustrating a large part of core support.

McNamara!

Fair call Gascube. Was my question that wasn't clear enough. I genuinely cannot think of any manager in all 4 leagues, other than Maciness, who has been in charge of their present club LONGER than Archibald.

Grant Murray maybe from top of my head but considering how well liked he was by Thistle support, that maybe doesn't say a lot.

Point still remains he is no longer a novice/rookie manager.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

"The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[60][61] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone." ..... Wikipedia

This is Archie's first job in management and he's 2 years in.

In Management it is generally regarded there are four different styles ranging from putting the arm round to the hair dryer, from what I see from Archie when he stands in the dugout appears only to be the one. In management you can't operate with such a limited style. Ferguson had a proven track record before he went to Manchester and he certainly was not involved in a relegation battle, united fans wanted instant success, Thistle fans are not that ambitious, it may have been Fergie's darkest hour but it can't be used as any sort of defence for Archie. Had Taylor not have signed did Archie have a plan B.

Thistle have a reasonable squad that should be challenging, he must recognise that Bannigan is washed up, Craigen is hopeless and he must play with two up front especially at home. Archie needs help so what is shaggie's involvement at this crucial time.

The excitement of getting Taylor back is gone after 1 game. The stark reality of Dick Campbell lumps up the park, only 2 or 3 guys looking like they care and lackadaisical football is prevalent.

Archibald needs to go at the end of the season. The club need some freshness.

No, I think that he thought that what worked against Inverness in December would work again in February.

If that is true then it's very worrying. Hughes was obviously going to change it so it didn't happen again.

The fact that AA saw the 4-0 game as some sort of dream combination to beat ICT rather than look at the individual game reflects on the fact that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I'm sure he's a good coach but when it comes to tactics he's clearly flapping.

Wow, that's some reaction. I agree the team selection upfront was strange and wrong. But we have just lost to a single goal to the third placed side in Scotland. The way people are going on here, you'd have thought it was Spartans that had beaten us.

ICT are hardly fantastic to be honest. They've lost their only striker and drew at home to Ross County last week.

It's more about the team's shameful performance than the defeat anyway. The fans deserved some sort of reaction after the St Mirren game.

Wow, that's some reaction. I agree the team selection upfront was strange and wrong. But we have just lost to a single goal to the third placed side in Scotland. The way people are going on here, you'd have thought it was Spartans that had beaten us.

spartans might well have beaten us yesterday afternoon...

So by your theory, it's ok to lose our next how many league games to teams above us in the league because their league position better than ours?

I don't believe for a second you believe that.

Also for those saying who is there to replace Archibald... There's always someone.

Look at Hibs with Stubbs for example.

In Management it is generally regarded there are four different styles ranging from putting the arm round to the hair dryer, from what I see from Archie when he stands in the dugout appears only to be the one. In management you can't operate with such a limited style. Ferguson had a proven track record before he went to Manchester and he certainly was not involved in a relegation battle, united fans wanted instant success, Thistle fans are not that ambitious, it may have been Fergie's darkest hour but it can't be used as any sort of defence for Archie. Had Taylor not have signed did Archie have a plan B.

Thistle have a reasonable squad that should be challenging, he must recognise that Bannigan is washed up, Craigen is hopeless and he must play with two up front especially at home. Archie needs help so what is shaggie's involvement at this crucial time.

Archie's track record includes taking a faltering team who couldn't win away from home on an 18 match unbeaten run to the title, survival in the premier league with a small budget and an aggregate 8-3 against the team who sit 3rd in the league.

Consistancy is our problem, and similarly to Ferguson at the time, Archie has had difficulty in signing the players he has wanted to bring to the club, had problems with injuries to important players throughout the season (how many times this season has he been able to play what might be perceived to be his first choice back 4?) and now has a key player sidelined due to disciplinary issues off the pitch.

Taylor has signed.

United Fans wanted a league title and a european run. Something their club was famous for. Some thistle fans are suggesting here that premier league survival is a failure. As much as i want our club to progress, I strongly disagree.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Some thistle fans are suggesting here that anything less than premier league survival is a failure. As much as i want our club to progress, I strongly disagree.

I think falling into a relegation or play-off spot from where we currently sit this season would be regarded as a failure, and a desperate one at that. I don't think that's going to happen, but people are understandably depressed and frustrated at the moment, and could really do with a bit of hope for the rest of the season.

Taylor was that bit of hope, but unfortunately that only lasted until he was plopped onto the bench straight away. Pretty dispiriting when you see the quality of his goal on the highlights, and we're left to wonder how different things could have been if our team had been set up to take advantage of it's strengths yesterday.

We've got nothing but hard games to come to ensure top league survival, and we need to know lessons are going to be learned.