James Craigen

should have kept wee jimmy.

i never wanted him to leave in the first place truth be told.

has scored another wondergoal from outside the box v st mirren tonight, and again finding the net through a ruck of players in the process. that's at least two goals of "shoot on sight and get it on target" he has scored for kirkcaldy rovers already.

we do miss his energy and never give up attitude, maybe he was on the cusp of being that attacking midfielder goal machine we are desperately craving for now. we (well many amongst us) maybe just didn't realise it in the summer.

think we can get him in the january window? :crazy:

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 2

should have kept wee jimmy.

i never wanted him to leave in the first place truth be told.

has scored another wondergoal from outside the box v st mirren tonight, and again finding the net through a ruck of players in the process. that's at least two goals of "shoot on sight and get it on target" he has scored for kirkcaldy rovers already.

we do miss his energy and never give up attitude, maybe he was on the cusp of being that attacking midfielder goal machine we are desperately craving for now. we (well many amongst us) maybe just didn't realise it in the summer.

think we can get him in the january window? :crazy:

He won me over, so I was sad to see him go.

One of Archie's mistakes to let Craigan go , a young player who was improving every season and now looks as if he's now a goal scoring threat, hopefully Muirhead can do the same albeit as a loan player.

He didn't let him go he offered him a new contract it was James decision to leave because he knew at Raith Rovers that he would be guaranteed to be playing every week

He didn't let him go he offered him a new contract it was James decision to leave because he knew at Raith Rovers that he would be guaranteed to be playing every week

Surely when you're offering a player a contract, you tell him he'll get a fair crack at the whip , more game time etc if he's playing well , he got the impression that he was still going to be a bit part player and that's why he moved on . Edited by jlsarmy

I'd have Craigen in the team ahead of Stevenson anytime.

They were both in the team last year it has to be said that Stevenson was a more effective goal scoring threat than James despite his misses last week. There's no doubting James work rate but I don't go for this Stevenson never tries a leg stuff either - He was a powerhouse in midfield last season and Archie said at the meet the manager night due to his operation over the summer he missed most of the pre season and possibly even came back too soon
  • Like 1

I loved a Thistle team with Jimmy in it. He was unique in the squad. No one else could bring to the team what he offered. And I miss him.

Maybe we're coming close, now, with Muirhead.

I've got nothing but respect for him taking a step down if it means he is enjoying his football more.

He seems to be an integral part of the Raith team, he's involved in free kicks, leading the players around him etc etc

He's obviously weighed up the finances and if there was a drop in wage, then I'd imagine he can cope financially, if it means he's able to enjoy his job more.

So good luck to him,

• Like 2

I think a little bit of perspective is required here. Craigen was eventually quite impressive towards the end of the promotion season. He wasn't quite as influential in the premier, although he always put everything into the game. He is now back playing in the championship and again getting good reviews. Maybe this is his level, maybe he still has a bit of developing to do and one day will be an established premiership player. Only time will tell.

Craigan would walk into this season's team. So would John Baird, Mark Kerr and Andy Dowie though.

Craigen would walk into the team , the rest I'm not so sure , been a bad day when Balatoni turns a contract from us to sit on the bench for Kilmarnock for 6 months . Trying hard to keep the fath in Archibald .

The problem with Craigen was he was released you couldn't say he was good enough to remain with us if you were talking about building a squad to take us to the next level.

Craigen wasn't released. He wanted to be more assured of getting sufficient game time. A step down a division was the clearest route to realise that aim.

The problem with Craigen was he was released you couldn't say he was good enough to remain with us if you were talking about building a squad to take us to the next level.

Now that the next level might be the Championship however!!

Last year we were once again going through a bad patch and give Archie his due he changed it around putting a lot more runners and speed into the team and IMO Craigan was part of that coming into the team against Dundee Utd and sparking a good batch of results. At this moment in our team there is no real pace or runners in the team and in the modern game that is key.

Craigan was an improving player , not the best Thistle player by a long way but you need hard working players like him to enable the others to play . He should have been enticed to sign a new contract if there was no one better to take his place.

• Like 2

Funnily enough some 1 put some sort of stats about when craigen was in the team and when he was not and there was a lot points for us when craigen was in the team I think a lot of his hard work went unnoticed at times my only problem I had with craigen is he had no power in his shots or he would have scored a lot more goals . He had the energy and he was great at getting into gd positions

Funnily enough some 1 put some sort of stats about when craigen was in the team and when he was not and there was a lot points for us when craigen was in the team I think a lot of his hard work went unnoticed at times my only problem I had with craigen is he had no power in his shots or he would have scored a lot more goals . He had the energy and he was great at getting into gd positions

That to me is very fair comment. Regarding not scoring after getting into good positions that can be said of currently of three or four others. Bannigan, Welsh and to lesser extent Fraser and Osman all have the potential to become the near complete midfielder. Getting into and scoring goals remains the weakest part of their game. More noticeable than ever since those further up the field are either not getting a sniff of goals or are missing/making wrong decisions.

It seems the completely wrong time to be emphasising the goals potential from non strikers/forwards within the squad but I believe that potential is there. Sadly just no idea when we'll see it.

Amazing. The same Craigen that was subject to abuse and ridicule on here. This forum truly is the beyond belief

yes, the same craigen who was subject to abuse and ridicule on here by some posters. but not all.

the same jc who, as noted and acknowledged by the last three posters on this thread, in addition to other posters on this thread and other threads, who recognised his energy, ability to bring others into play, raise their game, gee up his teammates and who did a power of often uncredited work for the team, whenever he featured.

he was not the greatest player to wear a jags shirt, so don't try misinterpret this defence of jimmy c, but he was by no means a wage thief or waste of a jersey, something that plenty others who have worn the red and yellow both lately and further in the past, it could quite justifiably be said of.

if jc was still here, no doubt some posters would still be in denial about wee jimmys quality and giving him non stop abuse and ridicule, and likely the same posters who don't give players like banzo, osman, welsh similar treatment when they don't bust a gut or create anything, or whom a passage of play breaks down once they receive the ball. instead it's all archies fault etc etc etc. but never the untouchables (of some posters).

yip, this forum truly is beyond belief.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but Elliott shares a lot of Craigen's qualities. especially in terms of fitness, enthusiasm and commitment. Altho' if fit Christie would most likely not have been first choice or started most games, I feel he's been missed. Bringing him on as an impact sub would've helped keep the tempo up or perhaps more accurately increased it. Imo it's been the drop in tempo this season that's been a major deciding factor in our results.

Perhaps the double whammy of not having Craigen or Elliott to turn to is more significant than many would've thought?

• Like 1