Game Against Wigan

gerrybritton9

Jack Hendry impressed me tonight, Seabourne will have to work to get a start.

Agreed. Very composed throughout and a good turn of pace. David Wilson very good also. Nisbet looked decent but missed the opportunity to make his mark when he hesitated when he should have shot. Did well with his back to goal with some decent first-time lay-offs. Jordan Leyden came on late but no chance for him to show much.

Lawless won MotM. Probably correctly. Only negative for me was that Gary Fraser looked a bit off the pace when he came on. Hope he ups his game as he is still probably the best passer in the squad when on his game.

Good workout. Same again on Saturday will do nicely. See that Rotherham beat Dundee 1-0 tonight.

"82:18

A cross from the left goes just behind Grigg but he is still able to turn and gather the ball and snot crawls wide of Cerny's right hand post."

Man,did we really need to know this !

:ph34r:

Better get used to it. I overheard someone saying the 2022 World Cup is going to be played in catarrh.

eta Thought it a good work out tonight. Bit ironic that the MotM is the one player we know won't be playing at Hamilton.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Think there were a lot of positives tonight particularly around the young players on show. Hendry was composed, has pace and was always shouting for the ball which shows he is confident as well.

I think overall the squad is fairly strong and flexible, but we desperately need a striker urgently, it was glaringly obvious last night that Dools needs some support.

Archie mentioning in his post match reactions that he won't be rushed, has a few irons in the fire but they are not over the line yet.

We definitely desperately need a striker before the end of the window, but we don't need him urgently. I'd much rather Archie took his time even if it meant waiting a few games into the season than rushed out to buy the first player that becomes available so he can be sitting on the bench at Hamilton.

The ET says that a "slide rule" pass from Christie Elliott opened the way for Lawless's goal. How did the big man do at right back?

Thought he looked fairly comfortable and not out of place at all. Made one great saving tackle when the striker was about to shoot, in particular. I wasn't impressed by Amoo's contribution in front of him, but hoping it's a lack of sharpness.

Really impressed by Hendry. Coped with everything. Thought Lawless was great, and will be very important for us this season. Sean Welsh also a class act. Was looking for every ball, making some great passes and was unlucky not to score when he hit the post.

• Like 1

Thought we played some very tidy stuff in the first half - the reunited trio of Bannigan, Welsh and Lawless all linked up nicely at various points.

The fact Hendry is about a yard quicker than any of our other centre halves gives him a real chance of challenging for a starting place. That said, it's one thing playing the way he has in friendlies and doing the same once the real stuff starts. Without tempting fate, the big tests lie ahead and it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to his first mistake but I think anyone who has watched him in the last two games will be encouraged by his apparent potential.

Quite like the look of Cerny. It's a breath of fresh air to actually hear our keeper shouting instructions to the defence. Kicking looked decent and he dealt with everything that came his way comfortably.

I don't have many concerns about our back seven, if you like; but if we're without Lawless which we will be next Saturday, I fear that we'll lack a creative spark going forward. It's also a big ask to expect Lawless to deliver this consistently throughout the whole season. Amoo was anonymous last night and I doubt it's going to be the last time anyone says that this season. Little can be read into pre-season performances, of course, but he doesn't look anywhere near up to speed yet. Guys need to be very fit to play in our team, in our style - arguably, fitter than they perhaps needed to be at previous clubs, e.g. Stevenson last year - and I wonder whether Amoo is going to find himself in a similar situation.

On pre-season form, I'd say two of the four attacking positions are likely to be taken by Welsh and Stevenson - and Dools will be in by default, considering he's currently our only senior striker. On that basis, presuming no new arrivals, I'd say we're likely to line-up against Hamilton with: Cerny, Miller, Booth, Frans, Seaborne, Osman, Bannigan, Amoo, Stevenson, Welsh, Doolan.

On pre-season form, I'd say two of the four attacking positions are likely to be taken by Welsh and Stevenson - and Dools will be in by default, considering he's currently our only senior striker. On that basis, presuming no new arrivals, I'd say we're likely to line-up against Hamilton with: Cerny, Miller, Booth, Frans, Seaborne, Osman, Bannigan, Amoo, Stevenson, Welsh, Doolan.

Doesn't look bad,

but not a youngster in sight.

Agree with that tho' I also liked Lance. What was it Michael was (is) doing on matchday that prevented him from doing the tannoy?

Michael is the host for hospitality which may still prevent him from returning as permanent announcer. Agree that Lance was also good.

No offence to the guy who was doing the announcing last year; but if I was giving him career advice, public speaking would be way down the list.

• Like 2