Stats Watch 2015-16

The Jukebox Rebel

:detective: 08.03.2016 Partick Thistle 1 Aberdeen 2 (SPFL Premiership - game 28)

• Steven Lawless notches up his 30th competitive appearance of 2015-16. His only absence was due to suspension and came in the season opener at New Douglas Park.
  • Abdul picks up his 10th yellow card in competitive action this season, drawing level with Stuart.
  • Thistle have registered 31 first-half blanks in their last 40 competitive fixtures.
  • Stevie's goal ends Thistle's longest-ever goal drought vs Aberdeen; now set at 527 minutes.
  • Stevie's goal puts him joint-top of our Goals + Assists combi-table with 8, alongside Kris Doolan and Stuart Bannigan. [see spoiler for full table]
  • Thistle take the lead and lose for the first time since September 2014, when St Mirren won 2-1 at Firhill with an injury-time penalty. Sadly, this ends a mighty run of 26 competitive games without defeat when we score the opening goal.
  • 4-and-a-half months have passed since Thistle last shared the spoils at Firhill; the 1-1 draw with Accies on 24th October 2015 being the last occurence.
  • Failure to score against Celtic on Saturday will see Archie's Jags equal the club-record for most games (6) without a goal versus the same team in the League. Such a run has only ever been registered once before; versus St Johnstone in the mid 90s.

ongoing sequences:

• 7 competitive games without a draw, 2nd Feb 2016 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 22nd Aug 2015 to 17th Oct 2015. Club-record: 27 games; 18th Feb 1899 to 23rd Dec 1899.)
  • 7 competitive games without a home draw, 31st Oct 2015 to date. (Longest run since: 11 games; 21st Jan 2015 to 9th Aug 2015. Club-record: 26 games; 11th Mar 1899 to 13th Oct 1900 & 4th Mar 1944 to 5th May 1945.)
  • 41 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 68 competitive games without a penalty award, 19th Sep 2014 to date. (Longest run since the club-record: 106 games; 10th Oct 1891 to 14th Dec 1895. *)
  • 86 competitive games without a goal from a penalty, 22nd Feb 2014 to date. (Longest run since the club-record: 114 games; 8th Aug 1891 to 14th Dec 1895. *)

* For these queries, the sequence begins with the introduction of the penalty-kick law in season 1891-92. The perceived club-record, although possible, should be treated with some degree of caution due to the scant nature of some match reports from the era.

Competitive Goals and Assists Combi-Table 2015-16

Tot - Player [Goals + Assists]

8 - Kris Doolan [8 + 0]

8 - Steven Lawless [4 + 4]

8 - Stuart Bannigan [1 + 7]

7 - David Amoo [5 + 2]

3 - Robbie Muirhead [2 + 1]

3 - Callum Booth [2 + 1]

3 - Gary Fraser [1 + 2]

2 - Dan Seaborne [1 + 1]

2 - Gary Miller [1 + 1]

2 - Liam Lindsay [1 + 1]

2 - Mathias Pogba [1 + 1]

2 - Mustapha Dumbuya [1 + 1]

2 - Abdul Osman [0 + 2]

2 - Sean Welsh [0 + 2]

1 - Ryan Stevenson [1 + 0]

note: There's been 1 own goal and 4 non-assists.

• Like 1

TJR I will honour my promise not to trouble you for any more stats about goal scorers with a double O in their surname. However, I did think of a good name for this category:

DOUBLOON

In the same week one doubloon won man of the match and another won player of the month.

Omens looked good on Wednesday as we had two doubloons on the pitch and one coming off the bench. In the meantime Aberdeen had one doubloon injured (Rooney), one sold (Goodwillie) and one who stayed on the bench ashamed to admit to being a doubloon (Fludd).

:detective: 12.03.2016 Partick Thistle 1 Celtic 2 (SPFL Premiership - game 29)

• Thistle are awarded a penalty-kick, ending an incredible 18-month run of 68 competitive games without such an award; the longest streak since, at least, 1895. Remarkably, Stephen Finnie remains as the only referee to have awarded Thistle a penalty in the last 87 competitive games.
  • Thistle score from a penalty-kick, ending a mammoth 25-month run of 86 competitive games without such an occurrence; the longest streak since, at least, 1895.
  • Sean maintains his 100% penalty record for the Jags, having succesfully converted his only other back in July 2012 in the 3-1 ARR Craib Cup Final victory over an Everton XI.
  • Sean's goal ends Thistle's longest-ever goal drought vs Celtic; now set at 630 minutes.
  • Unusually, Celtic pick up 3 yellow cards against Thistle - more than all of the previous 6 encounters combined.
  • After 7 attempts, Thistle have still to register a Saturday victory in 2016.
  • The all-time club-record for consecutive losses to the same team in the League is once again reset, now standing at 19 consecutive League losses to Celtic. We're now 6 games beyond the previous record.
  • Potentially, season 2015-16 could be our sixth consecutive top-flight whitewash from Celtic. This would match the existing record of six, which was endured by our forefathers between 1897 and 1905 versus Rangers.

ongoing sequences:

• 8 competitive games without a draw, 2nd Feb 2016 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 22nd Aug 2015 to 17th Oct 2015. Club-record: 27 games; 18th Feb 1899 to 23rd Dec 1899.)
  • 8 competitive home games without a draw, 31st Oct 2015 to date. (Longest run since: 11 games; 21st Jan 2015 to 9th Aug 2015. Club-record: 26 games; 11th Mar 1899 to 13th Oct 1900 & 4th Mar 1944 to 5th May 1945.)
  • 42 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

^ Another wildly inaccurate statement. Where do youse all find these Stats cranks?

For starters, Archie appeared for Thistle when we beat Celtic XIs in 2011 and 2012, one as a friendly and one in the ARR Craib Cup.

The most cursory of glances at his playing record for United throws up a January 2006 appearance in a 3-3 League draw vs Celtic.

As a gaffer, Archie is sitting on a 10 competitive game losing run vs Celtic; 9 in the League and 1 in the League Cup.

not a Thistle stat, but we did at least contribute to it yesterday. We used to have a go Scott Fox about this, but I believe Craig Gordon has yet to save a penalty is his professional career.

I believe this to be the case. 25 or 26 penalties. Would love this to be confirmed.

As we're nearing the split, can anyone establish if we've been more productive against the current top six or the bottom six? We often raise our game against better teams, but struggle against the stuffier teams. Given that the likes of ICT (a "better" team in recent years) and Ross County (a "stuffier" team traditionally) are bucking their own trends this year, I'm curious!

Didn't face a penalty in 4 years amongst that lot too! 2011 - 2015.

was he not injured for a large part of that time? Probably also out of favour at Sunderland for a while

Also, he appears to have saved one in 2014

Edited by jaggy

• Members
cheers, that confirms that he hasn't in fact saved any then!!! very strange for a any keeper, especially one as good as him
I remember at least a couple televised ones Jaggy. 1-1 draw against Celtic from a thumping Murdo McLeod penalty (Jim Melrose scored the equaliser in the last seconds, I'm sure you'll remember it!) Roughy had a blinder that day! And the other one was against Aberdeen, might even have been the same season. I remember Scotsport (?) on a Sunday afternoon, had a save of the month feature and Rough's penalty save was in there (cant remember it, but for it to be in the competition as possibly the best that month, it must have been pretty good!). Tommy Docherty was judging it and when asked about it, he said it wasn't very good and Alan should have held it!!! :lol:
  • Like 1

You simply cannot trust any of these stats databases I’m afraid, constantly found wanting, the lot of them.

Craig Gordon saved a penalty in the Scottish Cup final versus Gretna, although it did prove to be futile as the rebound was tucked away.

All the same, his record does seem extremely poor.

Hi TJR, not very relevant to this season, and not at all until Saturday past, but in light of the penalty discussion, who are the most successful PTFC penalty takers since reconstruction in the 70s, both in terms of total scored and best success % (with a minimum of 3 successful kicks)

Suspect Mark Roberts or Kenny Watson, and Jered Stirling might be the answers.

Cheers

I don't think Stirling ever missed one for us, and he must have taken 7 or 8. Aero would have been close if not for *that* penalty. Roberts couldn't have been far off double figures but he missed 2 that I can recall and probably a couple that I can't.

I don't think Jered Stirling ever had a penalty touched by the opposition goalkeeper!

Edited by michael m

Ancipital,

I’m having a wee chat with AF Kincaid who, like me, is putting a lot of work into his Thistle history research. We’ll give you some sort of post-75 answer in a day or two.

I’m good from 1997-98 onwards though; there’s a fair chance the following data may be perfect but I’m going to lay down a sensible disclaimer and say I can’t be 100% certain that match reports included every missed penalty. I say this as I’m sure I can recall instances where, for talking sake, the Sunday Mail didn’t report a miss but the Daily Record did. Such things make you slightly wary. In the fullness of time, I hope to re-comb through all Jags matches with second and third reports to strengthen up all my stats data to give even more confidence. Also, I should add I haven’t seen match reports for friendlies at Montrose in 2003 and in Cyprus in 2004, so if there were pens in any of those games I'm fecked!

The following table is sorted primarily by success rate and secondarily by number of pens taken.

25stoa9.jpg

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 1