Stats Watch 2015-16

The Jukebox Rebel

An incredible 27 times out of 35 is the answer to that one. Of those, there have only been two HT results; 17 times 0-0 and 10 times 0-1.

It seems clear that we're witnessing this phenomenon as a direct result of gameplans deployed.

For sage advice and further comfort on this issue see post #461

Yep, there have only been 5 competitive Thistle goals at the Northy this term, an astonishingly low number. Only one of those was a winner - David Amoo's opener in the 3-0 win over United. For us, the only North Stand goal in 2016 so far has been Amoo's consolation in the January snow vs Dundee.

All of which evokes a sense of day-Jah-view; Stats Watch regulars will recall that we finished last term with just 1 goal of the last 15 at the Northy. :wacko2:

Ha-ha, you can keep me right mair like! I think I was blathering a load of Rafael earlier about doublets for this season. We agreed the doublet was the old-skool pre-75 double right? The modern-day 2 out of 4 is nowt?

Pity the #9 never got more time to stake his claim on a Killie triple crown / grand slam, really thought that could have been on.

Your summing of the story so far is bang-on... all will become clearer on Saturday afternoon... or maybe even next Tuesday night (groan)...

By the way, if big Andrew Davies bangs in another beauty for us on Saturday does he qualify? :thinking:

Listen, that's us 19+ years now since the pain of the play-offs; the catharsis from Doolan's winning 09th goal of the season is most soothing. ;)

Going backwards these are the season's where our finishes get higher, 'til we get to our joint-club-record finish of 1963:

8th - 2014/15

6th - 1980/81

5th - 1976/77

3rd - 1962/63

FWIW I reckon our chances of a Top 6 finish are currently around the 20% probabilty mark, rising to somewhere around 85-90% if we get the win.

No need to be nervous on Saturday. What will be will be, we've done well this season whatever happens.

MEATLOAF WATCH

Thank you for that. Funnily enough my thoughts turned to Dingwall in the course of the day and I did wonder if there were any candidates for a further Meatloaf but then realised as you did that Andy Davies is the only possibility for this honour. Just aim every shot and cross at him and one is bound to go in.

Matthias maybe has a quasi-doublet as I do not think he had been signed by the time we played Hamilton in the opening game of the season. Hopefully it will not be the case that Matthias fails to score again this season, but if that were to happen would he be the first Thistle player to score only in Meatloaves?

By the way I had meatloaf for tea again tonight. This means I am guaranteed a Meatloaf as long as I do not have meatloaf again tomorrow night, if that makes sense?

Just to confirm that there is as yet no official title for scoring in 2 out of 4 games, but if you want one, how about a Hamlet, 2 Be and Not 2 Be?

Edited by partickthedog

:lol:

I'm sure I'm going to have nightmares the night, scrabbling around the Benny Rooney years trying to isolate quasi-doublets whilst getting chased aboot by an actual meatloaf smoking a hamlet and singing "2 out of 3 ain't bad".

Nah, if 2 out of 4 is the best they can do then feck them, they're gettin' hee-haw.

;)

An incredible 27 times out of 35 is the answer to that one. Of those, there have only been two HT results; 17 times 0-0 and 10 times 0-1.

It seems clear that we're witnessing this phenomenon as a direct result of gameplans deployed.

Now 28 out of 36, which is a shocking statistic. So the game plan is to get to 0-0 at half time? No wonder more people don't turn up when it seems we only try to score in the 2nd half

To be fair, the most successful teams in world football have been shown to score more goals in the second half. In saying that, they do score both in both halves, just more in the second. The reason for this is that patient build up play against teams sitting in will result in fewer chances when the defence is fresh and organised, with more chances developing later in the game. This isn't our gameplan however, but there is a clear change in strategy at half time in the past ten games or more, obvious even from the online audio commentary.

Pity we couldn't have won it more gloriously, but that's Thistle for you...

2eows55.jpg

Not too shabby Jags B)

I think this table shows just how poor we have been against the top 3, gaining only 1 point from 9 games. I thought that our record was far and away the worst of the rest - but it seems County didn't fair much better only getting 3 points.

I think this table shows just how poor we have been against the top 3, gaining only 1 point from 9 games.

That's a fair observation. The one point we got was fully warranted and I feel a point at Parkhead would've been justified as well. Of the other seven games (seven defeats) I can think of only the last game against Aberdeen and maybe at a stretch the preceding match at Tynecastle where our opponents would've sighed relief at the final whistle.

Arguably gaining winning/drawing against the top three can be seen merely as bonus points but positive results would've worked wonders for morale both on and indeed off the pitch.

• Like 1

:detective: 09.04.2016 Ross County 1 Partick Thistle 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 33)

• 30 year-old Nick Walsh takes charge of his first match in the Scottish Premiership. It's his first competitive Jags game as whistler. He has issued the most Red cards among Scotland’s referees this season with 12 in 28 competitive matches. His 4 cards on Saturday brought his Yellow tally up to 114.
  • For the first-time-ever, Thistle went into the final round of pre-split League fixtures with a chance to make the Top 6 cut, but it wasn't to be. However, with 41 points, Thistle register their highest-ever tally at split-time. In this regard, season-on-season progress has been made since our return to the top-flight. In all, our five relevant campaigns have resulted: 29 pts (2003); 18 pts (2004); 30 pts (2014); 38 pts (2015); 41 pts (2016).
  • After 270 minutes of effort, no Thistle player has managed to put the ball past Scott Fox in the Ross County goal. You have to rewind all the way back to 2006 to find the last time a Jag scored for Thistle against Scott Fox - Greg Strong (as a trialist) netted against a Celtic XI in Kenny Arthur's testimonial.
  • Thistle have now failed to score in 44.4% of their competitive games this campaign. If maintained, this failure-rate will stand as the highest in the club's history. The existing record, 43.6%, was set in 1920-21.
  • With the results from the 3 money sides (Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts) excluded, Thistle finished top of the 9-team "Alternative Premiership", amassing an impressive 40 points from 24 games.
  • Arithmetical safety from relegation could be confirmed by match day 35, should results be favourable to Thistle.

ongoing sequences:

• 7 competitive games without a first-half goal, 5th Mar 2016 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 27th Oct 2013 to 26th Dec 2013.)
  • 46 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 46 competitive away games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (Longest run since: 64 games; 17th Apr 1948 to 3rd Mar 1951. Club-record: 73 games; 1st Apr 1911 to 7th Nov 1914. *)

* These streaks are perceived and not categoric, and should therefore be considered with some degree of caution. In their favour, two independent researchers have looked carefully at press reports which cover virtually all of the matches from the time. It's entirely possible, however, that penalties may have went unreported or, indeed, are noted in alternative press reports which have not yet come to the attention of the researchers.

That's a fair observation. The one point we got was fully warranted and I feel a point at Parkhead would've been justified as well. Of the other seven games (seven defeats) I can think of only the last game against Aberdeen and maybe at a stretch the preceding match at Tynecastle where our opponents would've sighed relief at the final whistle.

Arguably gaining winning/drawing against the top three can be seen merely as bonus points but positive results would've worked wonders for morale both on and indeed off the pitch.

But I'll bet when most teams take points off them it's because they get the breaks. Not necessarily because they've matched them or outplayed them. I'd reckon we've given these teams as hard games as most. I'd say there were six games out of nine where we could realistically have taken something with some luck.

More likely the problem is that we just don't create much, and these teams are more likely to punish you.

I think it's why the season has felt maybe more positive than it actually is. When you lose to a big team you quickly write it off, and judge yourself on the other results; which have been so good since October. But the fact is that these games have hurt us and to progress further we need to take something from the top sides.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MEAT LOAF WATCH TJR, you will correct me if I am wrong and let me know of any I have missed. But I think I am right in saying: 1) If we make the top 6, then Pogba has meatloafed Hamilton and Doolan has meatloafed Dundee United and twin slice meatloafed Kilmarnock (2 doubles). If we do not make the top 6, they can aim for Hogans. 2) If we finish in a different 6 from St Johnstone, Lawless has a meatloaf, failing which he can try again for a Hogan. Oddly enough, I had meatloaf for tea tonight. Very tasty!

MEATLOAF AND HOGAN WATCH

It is confirmed that Stevie Lawless is the only player to perform a Meatloaf this season, having scored in 2 of our 3 wins against St Johnstone.

Kris Doolan will be gunning for Hogans against both Kilmarnock and Dundee United, and Matthias Pogba aims to bring down the curtain on his season with a Hogan against Hamilton (hopefully he can score against somebody else too).

Just to remind anyone who is wondering what on earth I am havering on about:

1) To do a Meatloaf is to score in 2 out of 3 games in the same season against the same team (which goes on to finish in a different 6 from us), named after the Meatloaf hit "2 out of 3 ain't bad".

2) To do a Hogan is to score in 3 out of 4 games in the same season against the same team (who end up in the same 6 as us), named after Ben Hogan who won 3 of golf 's Grand Slam tournaments in one season (better than Sunshine on Spieth has ever done).

• Like 2

Listening to Jethro Tull's Bungle in the Jungle right now - which will please at least one poster on here - and I got to wondering - since the introduction of the split, what's the highest number of points a club has had at the split which then led to subsequent relegation?

I expect it's Hibs two seasons ago.

Life's a long song..........

Listening to Jethro Tull's Bungle in the Jungle right now - which will please at least one poster on here - and I got to wondering - since the introduction of the split, what's the highest number of points a club has had at the split which then led to subsequent relegation?

I expect it's Hibs two seasons ago.

Life's a long song..........

Hibernian had 34 points at the split. They finished with 35.

In 2008/09 Inverness had 32 points at the split, enjoyed a four point cushion over Falkirk and were relegated with 37 points.

In 2004/05 Dundee had 31 points at the split, were sitting in 9th place with a four point cushion over Dunfermline and Livingston, were three ahead of Dundee United, went bottom on game 36 and were relegated on the last day of the season when a win would have seen them safe.

Livingston in 2005/06 hold the honour for lowest points(without a deduction for financial badness) at the split with 15 points,. Surprisingly they were only 8 adrift but they only gathered 3 points and went down.