Stats Watch 2015-16

The Jukebox Rebel

:detective: 02.04.2016 Partick Thistle 0 Kilmarnock 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 31)

• Thistle draw at Firhill for the first time in almost 5½ months.
  • Having scored just 0.97 goals-per-game in competitive action this term, Thistle are on course to register their second-lowest strike-rate of all-time. The lowest ratio ever recorded by a Thistle team was 0.93 goals-per-game in 1981-82.
  • With combined competitive goals action sitting at 2.18 per game, Thistle fans are witnessing the lowest goals-per-game ratio in almost 100 years; only 1.98 goals-per-game were witnessed in season 1920-21. Were it not for the anomally of the 5-2 win at Rugby Park, we'd be on course for the lowest goals-per-games ratio ever (1.97). If current levels are maintained, season 2015-16 will register, ratio-wise, as the second most goal-starved campaign Thistle fans have ever experienced.
  • Tomáš Cerný becomes the ninth Thistle 'keeper in history to register 10 League clean-sheets in a single top-flight season. His 8 predecessors are: William Campbell; James Ferguson; Rab Bernard; Kenny Campbell; Johnny Jackson; George Niven; Alan Rough; Craig Nelson.

ongoing sequences:

• 44 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 45 competitive away games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (Longest run since: 64 games; 17th Apr 1948 to 3rd Mar 1951. Club-record: 73 games; 1st Apr 1911 to 7th Nov 1914. *)

* These streaks are perceived and not categoric, and should therefore be considered with some degree of caution. In their favour, two independent researchers have looked carefully at press reports which cover virtually all of the matches from the time. It's entirely possible, however, that penalties may have went unreported or, indeed, are noted in alternative press reports which have not yet come to the attention of the researchers.

16kndxt.jpg

• Like 1

TJR - on a related subject, how many minutes have Mathias and Kris had simultaneously this season to date?

Excluding injury time, Doolan and Pogba have been on the pitch at the same time for a total of 142 minutes

45 v Falkirk - League Cup 2nd Round - 25/08/2015

14 v Aberdeen - 30/12/2015

19 v Celtic - 02/01/2016

25 v Motherwell - 02/02/2016

39 v Motherwell - 27/02/2016

I casually observe that there was only 1 goal for the team in those 142 minutes; a meaningless consolation for Callum Booth at Fir Park.

Although you can't read much into it with the small amount of data, the team's strike-rate falls to the equivalent of an appalling 0.64 goals-per-game with Doolan and Pogba together.

On a more positive note, it's interesting to note that low strike-rates and success aren't mutually exclusive.

Off the top of my head...

witness

exhibit A: Thistle's lowest combined goals-per-game ratio was in 1920-21; we finished 6th and won the Scottish Cup!

exhibit B: St Johnstone recently made Europe with a record-low strike-rate that flew in the face of all statiscal common sense.

exhibit C: Despite this season's lack of goals, Thistle could finish in the top-half of the top-flight for the first time since 1977.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

:detective: 05.04.2016 Partick Thistle 1 Dundee United 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 32)

• Dundee United, formed in 1909 as Dundee Hibernian, bring 1909 supporters to Firhill.
  • Kris scores with his right foot for the first time since January 2015; a 2-2 draw with Dundee United at Firhill.
  • With his 84th goal in all competitions, Kris leaves Dougie Somner behind and now sits outright 14th in that all-time table. Next target: Sam Kennedy on 91 goals.
  • Across all main Leagues (including pre-SFL and wartime), Kris now sits outright as our 10th greatest League goal-scorer with 76. He's our most prolific League marksman since George Smith, who last played for the Jags way back in 1963.
  • Just one more goal from Kris would take his competitive goals tally into double-figures for the sixth consecutive season. If he achieves that, he'd only be the second Thistle man in history to do so. Jimmy Walker registered 7 seasons-in-a-row from 1947-48.
  • Callum Booth's 6th yellow card of the campaign means that he will be thwarted in his most excellent attempt to play every minute of every competitive game this season. He'll be suspended for match-day 34 of the Premiership.
  • Amazingly, all 5 of the artistic giveaway games of 2015-16 have resulted in 5 Thistle victories with 5 clean-sheets! THAT DESERVES TWO BIG THUMBS UP... :thumbsup:
  • With his 11th Premiership clean-sheet of the campaign, Tomáš Cerný now lies joint-3rd in the all-time 'keepers table for League clean-sheets in a single top-flight season. He's only the second 'keeper post-75 reconstruction to achieve this feat, equalling Craig Nelson's tally from 1993-94. Only Johnny Jackson (13 top-flight clean-sheets in 1930-31) and Kenny Campbell (14 top-flight clean-sheets in 1920-21) have went beyond this point.
  • Archie's Jags re-set the club's H2H League record vs Dundee United with a 4th consecutive win.
  • Archie's Jags re-set the club's H2H League record vs Dundee United with a 4th consecutive clean-sheet.
  • With his 31st victory in the top-flight, Alan Archibald now sits shoulder to shoulder with Davie McParland in the Premier League wins table.

ongoing sequences:

• 6 competitive games without a first-half goal, 5th Mar 2016 to date. (Longest run since: 6 games; 22nd Aug 2016 to 26th Sep 2016.)
  • 45 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 45 competitive away games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (Longest run since: 64 games; 17th Apr 1948 to 3rd Mar 1951. Club-record: 73 games; 1st Apr 1911 to 7th Nov 1914. *)

* These streaks are perceived and not categoric, and should therefore be considered with some degree of caution. In their favour, two independent researchers have looked carefully at press reports which cover virtually all of the matches from the time. It's entirely possible, however, that penalties may have went unreported or, indeed, are noted in alternative press reports which have not yet come to the attention of the researchers.

10x4umt.jpg

I casually observe that there was only 1 goal for the team in those 142 minutes; a meaningless consolation for Callum Booth at Fir Park.

Although you can't read much into it with the small amount of data, the team's strike-rate falls to the equivalent of an appalling 0.64 goals-per-game with Doolan and Pogba together.

On a more positive note, it's interesting to note that low strike-rates and success aren't mutually exclusive.

Off the top of my head...

witness

exhibit A: Thistle's lowest combined goals-per-game ratio was in 1920-21; we finished 6th and won the Scottish Cup!

exhibit B: St Johnstone recently made Europe with a record-low strike-rate that flew in the face of all statiscal common sense.

exhibit C: Despite this season's lack of goals, Thistle could finish in the top-half of the top-flight for the first time since 1977.

It's from American Football, but Paul Bryant Jr said "Offense sells tickets; Defense wins championships".

• Kris scores with his right foot for the first time since January 2015; a 2-2 draw with Dundee United at Firhill.
  • With his 84th goal in all competitions, Kris leaves Dougie Somner behind and now sits outright 14th in that all-time table. Next target: Sam Kennedy on 91 goals.
  • Across all main Leagues (including pre-SFL and wartime), Kris now sits outright as our 10th greatest League goal-scorer with 76. He's our most prolific League marksman since George Smith, who last played for the Jags way back in 1963.
  • Just one more goal from Kris would take his competitive goals tally into double-figures for the sixth consecutive season. If he achieves that, he'd only be the second Thistle man in history to do so. Jimmy Walker registered 7 seasons-in-a-row from 1947-48.

2udz3ox.jpg

MEAT LOAF WATCH

TJR, you will correct me if I am wrong and let me know of any I have missed. But I think I am right in saying:

1) If we make the top 6, then Pogba has meatloafed Hamilton and Doolan has meatloafed Dundee United and twin slice meatloafed Kilmarnock (2 doubles). If we do not make the top 6, they can aim for Hogans.

2) If we finish in a different 6 from St Johnstone, Lawless has a meatloaf, failing which he can try again for a Hogan.

Oddly enough, I had meatloaf for tea tonight. Very tasty!

Okay. So at risk of jinxing Saturday, when did we last finish as high as sixth, and fifth, and fourth? Never in my 34 years watching.

We finished sixth in 1980/81 under Peter Cormack. We weren't a very good side though and only scored 32 goals in a 36 match season...and we were relegated the following season.

We finished fifth in 1976/77 under Bertie Auld. We were a very good side with Alan Rough & Alan Hansen and it was our first season after being promoted.

I don't know if we have ever finished fourth...but we finished third in 1962/63...and if it hadn't been for the worst Winter of the Century...

• Like 1

How many games this season have we failed to score in the first half?

An incredible 27 times out of 35 is the answer to that one. Of those, there have only been two HT results; 17 times 0-0 and 10 times 0-1.

It seems clear that we're witnessing this phenomenon as a direct result of gameplans deployed.

For sage advice and further comfort on this issue see post #461

It seems like I have seen about 3 goals down the north stand if even that!!

Yep, there have only been 5 competitive Thistle goals at the Northy this term, an astonishingly low number. Only one of those was a winner - David Amoo's opener in the 3-0 win over United. For us, the only North Stand goal in 2016 so far has been Amoo's consolation in the January snow vs Dundee.

All of which evokes a sense of day-Jah-view; Stats Watch regulars will recall that we finished last term with just 1 goal of the last 15 at the Northy. :wacko2:

MEAT LOAF WATCH

TJR, you will correct me if I am wrong and let me know of any I have missed. But I think I am right in saying:

1) If we make the top 6, then Pogba has meatloafed Hamilton and Doolan has meatloafed Dundee United and twin slice meatloafed Kilmarnock (2 doubles). If we do not make the top 6, they can aim for Hogans.

2) If we finish in a different 6 from St Johnstone, Lawless has a meatloaf, failing which he can try again for a Hogan.

Ha-ha, you can keep me right mair like! I think I was blathering a load of Rafael earlier about doublets for this season. We agreed the doublet was the old-skool pre-75 double right? The modern-day 2 out of 4 is nowt?

Pity the #9 never got more time to stake his claim on a Killie triple crown / grand slam, really thought that could have been on.

Your summing of the story so far is bang-on... all will become clearer on Saturday afternoon... or maybe even next Tuesday night (groan)...

By the way, if big Andrew Davies bangs in another beauty for us on Saturday does he qualify? :thinking:

What have you started here TJR? This is getting as bad as the pun threads! :)

Listen, that's us 19+ years now since the pain of the play-offs; the catharsis from Doolan's winning 09th goal of the season is most soothing. ;)

Okay. So at risk of jinxing Saturday, when did we last finish as high as sixth, and fifth, and fourth? Never in my 34 years watching.

Going backwards these are the season's where our finishes get higher, 'til we get to our joint-club-record finish of 1963:

8th - 2014/15

6th - 1980/81

5th - 1976/77

3rd - 1962/63

FWIW I reckon our chances of a Top 6 finish are currently around the 20% probabilty mark, rising to somewhere around 85-90% if we get the win.

No need to be nervous on Saturday. What will be will be, we've done well this season whatever happens.

• Like 2