Sean Welsh

Archie did say at the Q & A that he didn't think losing Welsh was on the cards and all being OK fitnesswise he'd be looking to renew his contract about this time. I think there's mutual respect and gentleman's agreement involved. Two 90 min shifts in three days should give all concerned considerable confidence on that front.

Can't believe he won't be offered a contract. I would imagine he has been told that if he has proved his fitness come the end of August there will be a contract on the table. Interesting that we played our best football of the season without Abs in the team. Gives Archie a few things to think about re formations

• Members

The guy is clearly fit and match fit at that. It's obvious we've a much reduced budget this season and Archie can't afford to have any crocks in the squad particularly now Christie is injured. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a last minute decision or maybe even a deal until Christmas.

I wonder how many other clubs would have kept a player on for the time we have while he was out injured?Well done to Thistle.

Thistle are great and all, but I think most clubs would have. Even Oldco kept paying* Daniel Prodan through three years of injury and he never even played a game for them. They had a similar story with Negri at roughly the same time as well if I remember correctly.

*sorry, donating to his employee benefit trust.

Two year deal!! He has done well since coming back, but a two year deal, when most others are getting one year deals, does seem a bit strange. Archie needs to find the perfect midfield mix. In saying all that, good to see Sean rewarded for all his hard work to get fit this season.

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2015-2016/august_2015/sean_welsh_signs_contract_extension

Edited by Lindau

By and large Sean has played very well this season. Great to have him signed up and, tho' the expression is often overused, it really is like having a new signing.

As to what's our best midfield, where does everyone fit in and can three central midfielders play in our system, it's maybe best left to another day. I guess injuries (hopefully if there is, not to Sean) and suspensions will negate the "congestion" problem, if indeed there is one. Osman, Welsh and Bannigan are three of the best centre mids we've had for a long while. Fraser has the potential to be better that any, and Wilson (especially when he's not played out of position) has already shown he's more than a useful stand in. That part of the team certainly not a problem area unless you include good problems.

Great news. I had my heart in my mouth for him when he went down on Saturday in that heavy challenge near the half way line. I was glad to see him get up and be ok, and really glad with this news.

Like L-I-B , I think we have a great crop of central midfield players, and is clear that of the four Bannigan, Fraser, Osman and Welsh, they all have their supporters as to who are the best options, but its nice to be able to have that debate rather than the midifield pick itself.

Didn't realise Banzo was suspended*. Hardly surprising Welsh is struggling after that tackle on Saturday. Really need both Osman and Welsh playing tonight but not at the risk of aggravating whatever injuries their carrying.

* how I forgot about his red at Porkheid is anyone's guess.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Guess it will be Osman and Fraser unless Welsh makes a really quick recovery. Since Hendry is supposed to be playing according to another thread, then Hendry and Seabourne at the back? Lawless, Amoo and Stevenson attacking mid and Dools or Pogba up front. Hopefully Pogba will be able to start or at least make the bench. I suppose since it's a cup game McDaid or Wilson might get in.

Edit: I think Welsh is the most natural to replace Bannigan but if he's injured we'll have to make do with Fraser.

Edited by Mr Bunny