Archie

Jagsman

not disputing we have signed a couple of new defenders, or couple of new midfielders, but with exception of cerny, dumbuya was the only outfield player who started on saturday, who wasn't here last season. one player. out of ten.

i concede some games have seen more than one outfield newbie start, but it is stretching it way too far to be seen as credible for someone to say we have "a whole new defence and new midfield".

Agreed ... but saturday was only Big Dan's second start. His last start was Miller was in for Dumbuya and in fairness his partnership with Frans last season was punctuated with injury and suspensions, Conrad stepping up. .... First choice ( whatever that may be) back four is yet to have a decent run of competitive games.

Good to see some football chat on here at last .... :thumbsup2:

As I've argued in the last two season's, i think we've got the makings of a decent team. Subtle changes and clearly defined responsibilities may make all the difference. PT make's a good point that our formation although defined as a "4-2-3-1" does show some flexibility. My criticism is perhaps that some players are asked to fill the general roles of the formation they may not best suited to. ... One Christie Elliot! We've only one Christie Elliot!

However, given time, a decent run in a settled team to gain familiarity and confidence in their placing, and to build understanding of team mates qualities, abilities and natural games.... i think we could see big improvements in overall performance.

Ideally we should be able to hit the ground running with this stuff, but I'm willing to cut the gaffer some slack as much because the lack of finance hinders pre-season preparation, as much as because of his last 3 seasons in charge.

It's evident to me that he's juggling buttons to sort out his personel nevermind make additions. I suspect Craigen and possibly a couple other of the 5 or 6 players released in May, were more reluctantly let go to free up cash rather than rejected for lack of talent or potential. How many contract offers were turned down during the close season?

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

not disputing we have signed a couple of new defenders, or couple of new midfielders, but with exception of cerny, dumbuya was the only outfield player who started on saturday, who wasn't here last season. one player. out of ten.

i concede some games have seen more than one outfield newbie start, but it is stretching it way too far to be seen as credible for someone to say we have "a whole new defence and new midfield".

Frans and Seabourne hsve plsyed how many games? Welsh Bannigan Osman?

Banzo is not a clean enough tackler and I wouldn't want Welsh steaming into to many tackles. Fraser should be able to do it, but not really his natural game, plus he's bombed out at the moment.

I was thinking about Amoo as second striker, but thought I'd get pelters given his performances so far. Maybe a Theirry Henry style re-invention?

Paul Paton is who we need. There, I said it.

Re Amoo... I was thinking Sturridge.

• Like 2

We aren't good enough right now I'm sick of the hard luck story we keep getting, thistle were the better team etc .. Stevenson can't start IMO he just doesn't do enough ! If you look at every squad in the leauge they have 3 or 4 strikers,we have 2 yet we are wondering why the goals aren't coming ! I feel sorry for doolan he just ain't getting the help he needs. So far he's been lucky to have a chance every1 game ,, we aren't losing many goals we should go all out attack next game if we get pumps fur enough but we just aren't giving it enough at the minute

I wasn't at the Ross County game, but was at the home match vs. Dundee and genuinely thought we were unlucky to lose that game. The link-up play between Doolan/Muirhead/Stevenson was excellent at times - although Lawless didn't really get a touch of the ball.

Our next two are against struggling teams - imperative that we get some momentum with 4 more points at least on the board, or we could struggle all season.

Frans and Seabourne together?

Welsh, Abdul and Banzo together?

You'll find the answer in there.

hmmmm, like that is it?

see, when you said we were playing with "a whole new defence and new midfield", i would think most people would take that as wholesale personnel changes throughout, particularly with new signings. but, it's not hmmmm?

but, now the lsr definition and rules is apparent.

"a whole new defence and new midfield" is not actually new players in positions they haven't played in alongside other existing players for (what is the number of games required for it not to be new?), or even counting their total number of appearances for us (where for example banzo and welsh have played numerous times together as has banzo and osman, and even welsh and osman have played together before, and even with banzo, and you can do the same permutations for defence), and it's not even where players have played alongside one another previously before. but actually, where one out of our defence and one of our midfield players hasn't played x number of games beside one or two or three others enough, so it's therefore "a whole new defence and new midfield".

got it.

thing is though ..... particularly at this early part of the season, most if not all teams therefore have "a whole new defence and new midfield" based on the lsr rule (new signings, players coming thru youth systems etc, and existing signings playing), and as season progresses, injuries and suspensions mean they (and we) will continue by definition of the lsr rule to be playing with "a whole new defence and new midfield".

so how do they manage to cope with this excuse of having to field "a whole new defence and new midfield"? especially when all around us (or rather all eleven above us) seem to be coping better and winning games, scoring goals, and being above us, and it's not a new phenomenon in football either then, as the lsr definition means teams have been having to play with "a whole new defence and new midfield" throughout their seasons, year after year.

lineups changing, player personnel getting mixed up and changed about, see this new fangled modern football ehh?

• Like 1

By and large, the squad is not that different from last year in terms of going forward. Yes, Higgy has gone but he hardly kicked a ball for us in the last few months. SoD is a big miss for us and hopefully Dumbaya will fill his boots.

But the midfield who got forward last season in support of lone striker aren't doing that this season. Why? Their choice or the manager's?

By and large, the squad is not that different from last year in terms of going forward. Yes, Higgy has gone but he hardly kicked a ball for us in the last few months. SoD is a big miss for us and hopefully Dumbaya will fill his boots.

But the midfield who got forward last season in support of lone striker aren't doing that this season. Why? Their choice or the manager's?

Higgy migt not have kicked a ball, but he was treated as a threat by opposition defenders, regardless. Therefore doubled up on. Watched constantly. His distraction made others jobs easier. Notably providing space on the other side for SOD.

Your second point is a loaded question and regardless of the answer allows blame to be pointed at the manager in some way or other.

• Like 1

Think most of our opponents have Sussex our game plan, such as it is. Ipso facto,we urgently require an alternative to 1 up front, in every game. If nothing else it's souls destroying to see high balls been pumped up towards Doolam and Lawless: neither of whom I'd I,ago switch the best will in the world are what you would call big physician forwards.

Personally, I"d drop Stevemson and try Sools and Muirhead upfront.. In addition we must get back to our passing game,, we simply don't have the players to play the traditional Rangers way.

Higgy migt not have kicked a ball, but he was treated as a threat by opposition defenders, regardless. Therefore doubled up on. Watched constantly. His distraction made others jobs easier. Notably providing space on the other side for SOD.

Your second point is a loaded question and regardless of the answer allows blame to be pointed at the manager in some way or other.

Not by me. im genuinely concerned that the players aren't following instructions to get forward, similar to how they did last season. Not always a conspiracy in each of my posts!!

Think most of our opponents have Sussex our game plan, such as it is. Ipso facto,we urgently require an alternative to 1 up front, in every game. If nothing else it's souls destroying to see high balls been pumped up towards Doolam and Lawless: neither of whom I'd I,ago switch the best will in the world are what you would call big physician forwards.

Personally, I"d drop Stevemson and try Sools and Muirhead upfront.. In addition we must get back to our passing game,, we simply don't have the players to play the traditional Rangers way.

Your obsession/hatred with Rangers (as you need to mention them in every second post you make) you should really be on the Huddle forum.

At this time when OUR team are struggling on the field of play, you still find it necessary to comments on them....gie it a bye, it's becoming sickening.

Your obsession/hatred with Rangers (as you need to mention them in every second post you make) you should really be on the Huddle forum.

At this time when OUR team are struggling on the field of play, you still find it necessary to comments on them....gie it a bye, it's becoming sickening.

:thumbsup2: I totally agree with you. We should be discussing what's happening now and not delving into the history of a club that no longer exists.

• Like 1

I think SOD was our op provider followed by Lawless then Higgy IIRC.

Checked the figures out, and the top three were Ali Crawford with 10, Manley Watkins with 9 and Stevie L third alongside Adam Matthews (!!!!) with 8.

Higgy was a distant 15th with 5. SOD was nowhere to be seen, which I guess is a function of who had the last touch before the actual goalscorer.