Partick Thistle Vs Hamilton Academical. Saturday 24 October.

jagfox

Yup! DIRE!!!!

Please will somebody explain to me why, with acres of room, time after time, we crossed into the box for the visitors to head it clear. Does nobody RUN into the box and force a defender to tackle? We haven't had a penalty for over a year and today was a classic example of WHY. Our opponents next week have had eight already this season, I think. We may never get another one again

Opposition must really laugh when they play us. Just park a couple of big defenders in the middle of the penalty area and we will lob it in for them to clear. It is so, so, so predictable. And THEIR corners were so creative , dropping right on to the six yard box and inswinging. Miracle they didn't get a goal off it. Scully just seemed to stand and watch.

Just why were we so poor today? Was it just because they are more combative than us? They certainly don't have better players.

I fear the worst on THAT performance

Well that was dreadful. We were lucky to get a draw against 10 men, if they had 11 on the park the full game we would have lost.

Cerny - n/a

Dumbuya - 5 played well but needs to hit the byline or attack defenders more

Lindsay - 7 solid display won his fair share and passed from defence well

Seaborne - 7 again another solid display and a few good long passes out of defence

Booth 6 - done well getting forward and seemed to attack defenders more than dumbuya

Bannigan - 6 seemed a bit lost in midfield himself but decent enough display

Welsh 4 - needs dropped. First touch is awful and adds nothing. Needed to sit deeper but failed to do so

Edwards - 2 looked lost and didn't know the position he was meant to be in. Should have been subbed sooner

Lawless - 5 didn't really get involved and the ball seemed to pass him by as we went for the long ball

Amoo 4 - done well with the cross for the goal but very poor overall. Doesn't seem to want to take anyone on and delayed every decision

Pogba - 6 got the goal but didn't hold the ball up that well or make the goalkeeper or defenders work apart from that

Scully - 6 decent enough performance and decent save when 1-1

Muirhead - 3 couldn't get anything right and picked up a booking for trying to foul their player on the break , couldn't even get that right

Doolan - 4 not on long enough to make an impact but looked busy enough

People wonder why Archie takes it tight. Today showed him to be niave again. Everyone could see a Hamilton goal was coming for about 10 minutes before it happened but still done nothing to change it. Fair enough he only had one sub left but he needed to do something.

All the players overall were poor and seemed as if no one could get their first touch right. Defo 2 points dropped.

Really disappointed in that performance today. Only positive is we came away with a point, the creative players all had off days with very few pass marks. Far too often the composure went and we gave the ball away in areas that brought danger to our goal. Not really a fan of Stevenson but we probably needed his creativity today when they were down to 10.

I think it was a rather poor performance all round; too many players off their or just dire. Edwards first couple of touches were poor and that set the standard. Not sure if Hamilton stifled our normal but we were ineffective all over the place with little cohesion in our play. No pass marks today. Welsh in particular needs time on the sidelines.

don't disagree with any of the above. particularly on welsh.

the ref (where the heck did they rake that fud up from?!) was an embarrassment. accies players were too, with their elbows, holding, arm pulling and other dirty tactics. as were their wee band of neds particularly after the game.

biggest embarrassment though was us not being fired up and our failure to turn up, for a game that should have been entirely winnable, especially once they went down to ten.

Awful would sum that up.

4 defenders, 2 holding mids and 1 up top against 10 men.

Sideways passing very easy for Hamilton to stop.

They deserved to win on 2nd half alone. Pretty rough team helped by a shocking ref.

Imrie showed guts and attitude not one of our players did.

Grim stuff all round but special mention to Lawless who must have aimlessly punted it to nobody at least 5 times.

all valid points. where was the gallus shoot on sight of last week? too much trying to play it round and down the sides for crosses (when they actually penetrated the penalty box) which were swatted away most times. where was the direct running from midfield and in opposition faces, getting tight, like we have seen many instances of in past couple of games? yes, hamilton stifled us as times but plenty times the gap was there to drive forward and in between defenders, but sideways or backwards option was chosen.

Welsh - Didn't even look interested. Lost the ball countless number of times. Lacks the leadership qualities he seemed to have when we won the league and his body language today pissed me off. He's supposed to be captain but you'd never have known.

don't want to bash the welsh, but that's a accurate appraisal of welsh since he bagged his new contract. hate the scapegoat of the week culture, especially where unnecessary or often unwarranted, so not highlighting welsh as the only player who didn't earn his wages today, that's the best compliment i can give him today. but to repeat, he's not alone today at least.

Absolute nightmare in every sense .. Amoo is a coo !! Looks like he could be capable of so much more but he's nervy on the ball and so soft pushed off the ball so easily ! Yet he looks so laid back, Edwards must have been kept on for a bit longer not to ruin his confidence IMO he was brutal didn't look like he knew what he was doing at all.. Actually ruined the game should have been taken off before half time .. Fraser should have started in osmans position. Absolutely ruined our chances today that we had to switch lawless out to the wing for so long, big dan won everything he had to and deserved man of the match also thought bannigan was great. But I blame Archie for us not winning today

Absolute nightmare in every sense .. Amoo is a coo !! Looks like he could be capable of so much more but he's nervy on the ball and so soft pushed off the ball so easily ! Yet he looks so laid back, Edwards must have been kept on for a bit longer not to ruin his confidence IMO he was brutal didn't look like he knew what he was doing at all.. Actually ruined the game should have been taken off before half time .. Fraser should have started in osmans position. Absolutely ruined our chances today that we had to switch lawless out to the wing for so long, big dan won everything he had to and deserved man of the match also thought bannigan was great. But I blame Archie for us not winning today

Seriously? Archie was to blame for the lack of composure or quality in the final third? Who would disagree with the starting line up or changes? The team let the manager down today.

Seriously? Archie was to blame for the lack of composure or quality in the final third? Who would disagree with the starting line up or changes? The team let the manager down today.

I'd disagree with keeping Amoo on for 90 minutes and starting with Welsh and Edwards.

I'd disagree with keeping Amoo on for 90 minutes and starting with Welsh and Edwards.

The choice for Archie was Amoo or Pogba, I agree Amoo didn't deserve to stay on but to replace him would have meant Pogba staying on and Doolan not getting on. Welsh was in the team that just won two games would you change the two central mid positions? Edwards needed to be played to see what he could offer in hindsight if that was what he offered in training he didn't deserve to be anywhere near the team and Fraser or Stevenson should have started.

so starting Edwards was the right decision ? He made a mistake am I wrong or would you have left Edwards on for as long as he did ? He was having a ******* nightmare of a game and so was amoo the midfield was terrible and I feel he could have made better changes ? That's my opinion would you say am wrong

Too many attacking midfielders and not enough defensive/central midfielders. Archie to blame for that one Unfortunatly!

Seriously? In my view not enough attacking midfield players and too many defensive. We managed to turnover the ball to Hamiltons advantage far too many times. If the team took care of the ball better than they did we would have won comfortably, regrettably we were too negative and played too many percentage balls rather than commit the Hamilton defence.

Only positive today was managed to get to screwfix before it closed

Ref never got one decision right during the full game and the JHS linesman provided the comic relieve

but the main thing is and there's no doubt about it, Screwfix is the place for the professional builder..

Seriously? In my view not enough attacking midfield players and too many defensive. We managed to turnover the ball to Hamiltons advantage far too many times. If the team took care of the ball better than they did we would have won comfortably, regrettably we were too negative and played too many percentage balls rather than commit the Hamilton defence.

taking a chance on Edwards backfired today Archie obv sees something in him though. I think putting Fraser in for osman would have been the better option because bannigan has been our best player recently in the more attacking role

We seemed play

Bannigan

Welsh Edwards

Lawless Amoo

Pogba

And getting so overrun in midfield that every ball was won by them and they seemed to get so much time on it. At least with osman you would have both him and bannigan deeper. It seemed to me at the start Welsh needed to sit deeper but just didn't happen. This is where I feel Archie made the mistake that cost us the game.

The choice for Archie was Amoo or Pogba, I agree Amoo didn't deserve to stay on but to replace him would have meant Pogba staying on and Doolan not getting on. Welsh was in the team that just won two games would you change the two central mid positions? Edwards needed to be played to see what he could offer in hindsight if that was what he offered in training he didn't deserve to be anywhere near the team and Fraser or Stevenson should have started.

I think Pogba could have lasted another 5 minutes, whereas you're lucky if Amoo had a decent 5 minute spell in entire game.

And having 2 strikers on the pitch against 10 men would have been a positive move which may have paid off.

But we'll never know will we?

We seemed play

Bannigan

Welsh Edwards

Lawless Amoo

Pogba

And getting so overrun in midfield that every ball was won by them and they seemed to get so much time on it. At least with osman you would have both him and bannigan deeper. It seemed to me at the start Welsh needed to sit deeper but just didn't happen. This is where I feel Archie made the mistake that cost us the game.

Can't agree we got over run in midfield, we gave the ball away in threatening positions but frankly that was down to lack of composure rather than being over run. We had enough time on the ball and should have worked better positions than we did but more often than not we passed the ball away or put in poor crosses that turned the ball/attack around.

Edited by Metz

Can't agree we got over run in midfield, we gave the ball away in threatening positions but frankly that was down to lack of composure rather than being over run. We had enough time on the ball and should have worked better positions than we did but more often than not we passed the ball away or put in poor crosses that turned the ball/attack around.

we did

Disappointed in what I watched today, thought we got outmuscled all over the park and it's a bad day when Martin Canning comes on and changes the game. Not sure what game Archie was watching but the tactics and substitutions should have happened at least 20 mins before they did. Watching the game thought Pogba was slow and cumbersome with little movement and Doolan should have been on much sooner to move their defence around especially when they were down to 10 men.

Got to be a huge improvement next week against Hearts if we're going to get a result.

Yep when we win or play well it's the manager....when we lose or play badly it's the players

We had no shape or system that was evident today and that's the mangers job

I can understand the manager holding back on making his third substitution. Anyway you shouldn't have to play all your cards against ten men and it makes sense to have a wee bit insurance should one of your own players pick up a knock. That said I still think Doolan was brought on far too late in the game.

Unlike others (the usual suspects) I don't have an issue with our team management but I can't defend Archie today. Having to make an enforced substitution didn't help but the Edwards selection obviously backfired resulting in a further substitution. We were then left with either Pogba or Amoo having to play 90 minutes when ideally both should've been hooked. I realise it was their combination that got us our goal but they offered little thereafter.

The only crumb of comfort I feel tonight is we didn't lose the game. After Accies equalised I felt they were more likely to score a second than us.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1