Dumbuya..upfront

topcat

Archie found a bit extra from Elliot in playing him in different positions. That was the first time I have saw Dumbuya on Saturday and I thought with his pace and the way he went forward from defence actually passing opposition players that might like to see what he could do if pushed up front occassionally

Archie found a bit extra from Elliot in playing him in different positions. That was the first time I have saw Dumbuya on Saturday and I thought with his pace and the way he went forward from defence actually passing opposition players that might like to see what he could do if pushed up front occassionally

We had a think about this at the game too. Our thoughts were more to the effect of putting him in midfield and playing Doolan in behind Pogba.

Personally I think it's worth a go playing him in midfield as it's fairly obvious his MOM performances haven't been awarded for his defensive attributes and Miller is an adequate cover for that side of things.

The problem for me isn't that Dumbaya is doing anything wrong in his position, it's that Amoo has been poor in his and without a straight like for like swap I'd like us to look at other options. If it's clearly not working, change it back.

Who was the goalie who famously broke his collar bone (or shoulder) and played out the rest of the match as an outfield player?

Are you thinking of Bert Trautmann the Manchester City Goalkeeper who broke his neck in the FA Cup Final but played on in goals and collected his Winners' Medal?

ETA I'm sure that Freebairn was our keeper who played outfield after breaking a collar-bone - I think Jukebox Rebel did a feature on the game.

Edited by Winter of '63

Ledgerwood was the Jags keeper that scored in the 5-4 game. There was I think a goalie (perhaps Man Utd) who got injured, went to casualty then returned to the field. But as Winter mentions Trautmann broke his neck but continued to play on in goal. Makes the others, who just went on the wing with broken arms etc, appear to be big sissys. :)

We had a think about this at the game too. Our thoughts were more to the effect of putting him in midfield and playing Doolan in behind Pogba.

Need to get him to shoot when the chance arises as it did a couple of times on Saturday. Don't know if that's a strongpoint for him or not - come on, Mustapha, show us you can against Killie.

I think that on the grounds of his incredible pace over short distances, that the man could play almost anywhere. We are lucky to have him. BTW he outjumped a pretty tall Kilmarnock attacker on a few occasions on Saturday. See this jumping off the ground malarky? If Pogba took lessons from Dumbuya......

The man is a class act. I am absolutely astonished that he has spent most of his career at a low level. I hope we can retain his services in January, because he is a stand out player for us.