Top Six - Should We Ban It!

The Sunnylaw Jag

I know someone else has already said on the forum this evening that if we mention the Top Six we jinx it. I think we should ban it totally and just play one game at a time and see where we end up. I'd go as far as saying that the Admin guys should delete it's usage whenever it pops up but that's probably a lot of work to do. Let's keep praising the team and their efforts, let's get behind them and who knows we might end up higher than 7th.

Kinda agree.... Not one for censorship..... but let's just keep the heid. 5 points between 6th and the play-off spot right now and we're in the middle of a 6 team group pretty much on a par for contention to go either way.

Chin high , chest oot, bring on the competition.... We're looking ready for it, and can proceed with some confidence but the fight is still very much to be won.

ARCHIEBALD'S RED AND YELLOW ARMEEEEE!!!!

:fan:

Extremely hypothetical I realise but I'm not too certain what I'd want come the break. Being a completely safe 7th or being 6th and a distance from 5th place. Probably 6th place just for the prestige bit and the extra cash. On the other hand in such a scenario 7th place is almost certain to pick up more points than 6th or certainly have the better opportunity.

Coming to think of it the cash per place isn't a great deal and financially a lot would depend on who your home games post split were against.

If we want to get players to sign contracts at the end of the season or attract players to the club, finishing sixth may show that we have ambition. Personally though, I would go for 7th. Then get a good start next season and push for a strong top six finish. Ah, dreams...

But first goal is to make sure we stay up.

Edited by BowenBoys

The mind-blowing stupidity of the Top 6 should be gotten rid of toute-suite.

Quoting it gives it an unmerited credibilty. The reality is, it's an artificially created oasis of nothingness.

Quite frankly, I'd sooner finish "officially" in 7th with more points than the team in 5th.

That way we'll see more Partick Thistle victories and we can point and laugh at the absurdity of the whole sorry shambles.

Cockwomble out!

• Like 1

Top 6 would be better for the club. It'd give us more security as there's no chance of being dragged into anything, additional prize money and extra home games against teams who bring a larger crowd so an extra bit of income there to tie up contracts and start looking at new players for next season.

Bear in mind we'd be away to Aberdeen & Celtic and home to St Johnstone and perhaps County/Accies/ICT. Perhaps only talking about Hearts bringing a crowd.

Bear in mind we'd be away to Aberdeen & Celtic and home to St Johnstone and perhaps County/Accies/ICT. Perhaps only talking about Hearts bringing a crowd.

Fair point, but if Hearts have a chance at top 2/3 and European qualification come then I'd think they'd sell out their allocation and bring some others as well. I still think the security of top 6 would let us tie up contracts and plan our summer moves early which can only be a positive.

I'll just mention it once: it is tantalisingly within our reach now...... But so is the play-off spot. All to keep playing for.

If the Motherwell game had not been postponed, we would probably be there already. Inverness had Hearts and Hamilton had Celtic, both much tougher than our fixture.I do think we will do it at some point before the end of the season,

• 2 weeks later...

it's the Thistle way , think the unexpected , don't kick a ba and woohoo end of year target is met, top six place and 2 games in-hand over the team in 5th.

DONT pANIC !! DON'T MENTION THE TOP SIX !!

Aberdeen and Celtic are definitely not unbeatable, but I don't expect us to be in the top 6 come next weekend! Anything we can grab from these two games will be gratefully accepted.