St Johnstone 23/02/16

Lindau

Woke up this morning, checked the result, went back to bed with a big grin on my face.

Sounds like most if not all of the players played well. Dools: what can you say about him. Great to see Elliott get MoM after his tough last six months.

If only we'd won even just a couple of games in the opening quarter......

Just in. A great result! And I'll tell you what: that Nesbitt boy can play a bit. He took up intelligent positions between the lines and was always willing to receive the ball in tight spaces. In time Banzo and Osman will feel confident enough to fire the ball to his feet even when there are defenders in close proximity. At times they shied away from making such passes, instead opting to play it sideways, but with increased playing time they'll be able to find him quicker.

Other notable performances: Seabourne was excellent when we were under pressure; there's no such thing as a lost cause to Christie; and Cherny made some superb saves. At times we rode our luck, as they got in behind us, particularly on their left side, but I always felt like we had an extra gear and that we had the measure of them.

• Members

Nesbit does not look out of place in this league and if he was with any other team in Scotland other than Celtic, he'd be playing every week on tonight's showing. As for Christie, after so long out I thought he might have lost a bit of his pace. But if anything, he seems to have gained it! There were a few occasions tonight when he looked to have no chance in getting the ball before an opponent and still beat them to it. Even very late in the game he was still showing tremendous fitness! Credit to our coaching staff who have obviously kept his core fitness at a high level whilst he was on the road to recovery.

St Johnstone were very frustrating going to ground whenever a challenge came in on them, whereas we, unless I'm mistaken, never got our first free kick until the 35th minute! Astonished that none of our players got a card considering the amount of free kicks against us and St.J ended up with 2 in the book. If that wasn't the JHS assistant's first senior game, it must have been very close to being. There was one point after giving 2 or 3 contentious decisions against us there was another one close to their 18 yd box and as the noise from the fans behind him started to build you could see him change his mind and give it our way. :)

Throw in two well timed substitutions and it ended up a great result. If we had scored again towards the end I wouldn't have been surprised. I was just hoping Doolan could get himself between the ball and his man and try and hold it up and the next thing he's took a touch and stuck it away. Great finish and I do believe he ran to the fans kissing the badge! The best thing that's happened to Partick Thistle playing wise in the last 10 years or so I'd say.

I thought with Amoo coming on it might stretch St.J a bit and it did. I was busy watching the run that Lawless made to Amoos right that caught the defender in two minds that let Amoo run on and strike it past Manus. The last 10 minutes hitting St.J on the break was really exciting stuff and I think our superior fitness and freshness so us get a fully deserved 3 points. And just to add, what a save from Manus to deny big Freddy!!!

• Like 1

• Members

Just in. A great result! And I'll tell you what: that Nesbitt boy can play a bit. He took up intelligent positions between the lines and was always willing to receive the ball in tight spaces. In time Banzo and Osman will feel confident enough to fire the ball to his feet even when there are defenders in close proximity. At times they shied away from making such passes, instead opting to play it sideways, but with increased playing time they'll be able to find him quicker.

Yeah, you could see as the game went on they got more and more confident about giving the ball to him. Creates space for others by running with pace at defenders and drawing them out. Something we haven't really been doing much this season. Even Bazo was doing at times tonight. It's a long time since we've seen him running at and taking on the defenders.
  • Like 1

How did we line up? I'm specifically thinking, was it three attacking midfielders off pogba? Or a straight two (or three) up front? And who, where?

Pogba up front with Nesbitt (left), Stevie (centre) and Christie (right) playing behind him. Nesbitt and Stevie interchanged a fair bit.

Edited by Gnome on the Bing

• Members

4-2-3-1, back 4 along the usual lines. Abdul and Banzo sitting in front of the defence. Christie and Aiden on the wings and Stevie in the hole. The trio of Stevie, Christie and Aiden put in a tremendous amount of work and it was little wonder that 2 of the 3 were subbed off.

Other notable performances: Seabourne was excellent when we were under pressure; there's no such thing as a lost cause to Christie; and Cherny made some superb saves. At times we rode our luck, as they got in behind us, particularly on their left side, but I always felt like we had an extra gear and that we had the measure of them.

i have to be honest I don't recall Cerny having to make any saves really tonight

• Members

Both goals now on Youtube.

And yes, Dools kisses the badge as he celebrates.

The run from Lawless makes Amoo's goal. Given that it was Stevie that passed the ball to David to begin with as well and his run took him past 3 retreating St.J players so late in the game, it was a tremendous piece of play from Stevie. Hope he's credited with an assist for that one.

The run from Lawless makes Amoo's goal. Given that it was Stevie that passed the ball to David to begin with as well and his run took him past 3 retreating St.J players so late in the game, it was a tremendous piece of play from Stevie. Hope he's credited with an assist for that one.

I took another look at that: you are absolutely right.

Sounded as though Pogba did everything except score tonight - am I right?

For me, he's a good example of an attacking player for whom goal stats don't particularly matter. He creates problems for defences and allows teammates to find space to receive the ball.

When he starts games, he tires out the defence and will make way for Doolan once his work is done. When he's a sub, he gives tiring defenders a totally different issue to think about.

I really like him.

Archie is a tenacious, inspired legend. So proud that forum members have given him so much backing this season.

To be fair he has had pretty decent backing on this forum, even through the barren spells....and there have been a few! The few that constantly asked for his removal 5 minutes after a defeat have disappeared like melting snow and as a result the forum is a far more pleasant place to visit. Long may it continue!

The fact that Celtic have so many midfielders, means it's unlikely young Aiden will get much game time next season. Could be worth Archie asking Delia if we can have him for next season as well, to match the deal they did with Man City for Roberts. You can see the boy has the talent and he shouldn't be hovering about development sides. He could really develop with another season at Firhill, getting regular first team football. Some of my Sellik mates, who regularly attend development side games, were astonished that they brought Roberts in and shipped Aiden out. They would have preferred Aiden getting promotion to their first team squad. Early days but he looks a fantastic signing by Archie!

• Like 1

Looks like Amoo's goal was assisted by the Grant Murray School of Defending, although the runs by other forwards were probably the reason for the defensive indecision. Lovely stuff.

It was the Saints new boy, Krachunov (66), that Amoo turned inside out to make space for the shot. Another inspired substitution

It was the Saints new boy, Krachunov (66), that Amoo turned inside out to make space for the shot. Another inspired substitution

He really looked dreadful, though of course one minute of a match can be misleading. The commentators on ptfc.co.uk didn't seem very impressed by him either.

Sounded as though Pogba did everything except score tonight - am I right?

For me, he's a good example of an attacking player for whom goal stats don't particularly matter. He creates problems for defences and allows teammates to find space to receive the ball.

When he starts games, he tires out the defence and will make way for Doolan once his work is done. When he's a sub, he gives tiring defenders a totally different issue to think about.

I really like him.

Agree. I reckon he won about 85/90% of the high balls fired at him and generally roughed their defenders up in a way that no one else in our team does. I'm not sure if some folk think he should be winning the headers then controlling and holding up while there's an opponent crawling over his back every time but a lot of the criticism is over the top.

His actual goal threat is limited but last night his presence allowed Lawless, Nesbitt and even to an extent Elliot to press further up the park and I think it rattled their defence from the start.

• Like 1