Hippolyte And Hemmings For Example

jagfaelivi

Saw Hippolyte last season a couple of times at Livi and then last night playing at the Falkirk Stadium. Houston obviously saw potential and the lad caused havoc when he came on last night. When was the last time a Jags player did as much as that versus a "big " team?

And Hemmings, who was on trial with us only to be rejected after his great season at Cowdenbeath.....

Both in the very area of the pitch we look very short. Are we missing things or is potential about more than just ability? Attitude, lack of arrogance, ability to fit into the dressing room?

There are obviously gems still out there - look at how well Hartley, for example, has done, digging them up.

Comments?

I think we rejected hemmings before his cowdenbeath season, theres no guarentees he wda turned out the player he was without that season...had we signed him he may not have blossomed like he did at cowden so its a hard one to cal. But yeh Archie seems really focused on english leagues for recruitment, there have to be a few gems in scottish leagues if u look hard enough? Id love to see us sign alston from falkirk ife liked what ive seen of him past few times we played them, meant to have ackred a cracker vs the h*ns as well

I think Chunky is right about Jennings ability and attitude last summer when Dundee signed him compared to how he was when we trialed him.

However the general point made is correct, we don't seem to exploit the lower leagues in Scotland at all. We know there are good players there, ATS was picked up from Montrose, so I don't understand why we haven't signed anyone from the lower leagues since.

I should hold my hands up and say I'm not so well versed on the lower leagues.

Who are all the players that have stepped up to the top league, that we have missed out on?

im not 100% up to speed like yourself, but off the top of my head there's a few at Dundee - the keeper, Bain, Greg Stewart, Rory Loy, Kane Hemmings.

Dundee United over past few years have had Andy Robertson, Blair Spittal, im sure 1 or 2 others im forgetting.

I like the big centre half Hamilton got fae Livi Tena.

Hearts got the boy from Queens, cant mind his name either, Daniel something?

Not loads of players but there a few i would have liked to see us sign. But all those clubs ive mentioned at probably offering more money than us...

Watched Falkirk against Dumbarton last week on the telly and frankly Falkirk were dire - even when donated a penalty and playing against 10 men for the last 20 mins. Perhaps it is the natuire of footballers (indeed anyone) to raise their game in the face of adversity and last night was probably an example and Falkirk benefitted.

Wish I could be bothered digging up the reviews some folk gave of Hemmings during his trial with us. Most folk were slating him and the manager for even giving him a chance.

I think his character has been called into question - maybe not what we want at the club but suitable for a self centred ********* like Hartley.

Hemmings actually looked not bad in his two cameo appearances as a trialist. I've always thought he was rejected for other reasons. Bain was coached by Paul Gallacher at Alloa but he was similar to Fox in so much that he was capable of great saves but prone to the odd daft error. Of all the players that have made the step up I think Greg Stewart is the one who's handled the transition the best. I honestly thought he'd turn out to be like John Baird and be playing in a league just above his ability.

If the boy Hippolyte was any good I'm sure he would have started, he's obviously one of these winger type guys like Higgy that is either sensational or murder each week. I do think when watching sky sports soccer saturday every week that we should take a chance of some of these guys that seem to score at week at the lower levels, its the same names every week, obviously Rory McAllister has been discussed, El-Bakhtoui at Pars, Craig Gunn at Elgin, I'm sure theres a guy called John Baird scoring for Falkirk every week, anyone heard of him? Mark Mcguigan scored a few today aswell!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread, but El Bakhtaoui at Dunfermline has been banging in the goals and might be available on a free transfer in the summer (23 so I think no training fee) He could be worth a punt

I have had a chance to watch Dunfermline Athletic a few times over the past couple of seasons and El Bakhtaoui is a real talent and is only getting better. I am sure a few top flight clubs will be looking at him, but from what I have seen, he is certainly worth a shot. Although Pogba has now another year to run on his deal, if he doesn't start scoring more, I think Archie will need to find another striker to support Doolan who can.