Have We Progressed This Season ?

javeajag

Following 3 defeats in a row and yesterday's shambles it seems to me that we havnt really progressed from last season ?

We are likely to finish ( hopefully ) around 10/11 spot with a poor last quarter

The quality of football has declined and we struggle to score and not that many great performances to get excited about over the season

Time for Archie to rethink where we are !

I think we have done well with the hand we have been dealt.

A season already described my many fans as would be a rebuilding exercise was ravaged by injuries, suspensions and scandal.

To get anything from it (survival) will be a feat in itself.

I dont want the last 3 games to define our season. But we should have had nothing to play for a lot earlier.

Yes and no progress for our club is to stay in the top division but when you see the movement and passing of some other similar clubs compared to us then no. Archie has a tough job but what exactly does Patterson do to help. Maybe a better option as assistant might help next season.

• Like 1

Depending on the final three games (as long as we keep out of the play-off spot and stay up!) I think at best we will have stood still this season. That is on the pitch anyway. There's going to be an awful big rebuilding effort needed this close season instead of what should have been consolidating.

Off the pitch things seem to be just getting worse. Season ticket sales will be a worry in the light of falling crowds. The pitch is going to need some major money spent (not withstanding the efforts of fans on that front). The half time fiasco has been an embarrassment all season and frankly Firhill is becoming a depressing place to visit. The feelgood days of the last season before promotion with the fan involvement has well and truly gone.

It's going to take a lot more than just Archie's efforts to turn it all around.

Progress? You're having a laugh. No way has there been any progress this season.

Are we going to finish the season in a higher league position than last year? No

Have any young players broken through to the first team? No

Have we had free flowing entertaining attacking football? No

Have we scored more goals than last season? No

Did we do well in the cups? No

Have the majority of signings worked out? No

Have the crowds gone up? No

If anyone sees that as progress, I'll have a pint of what you're drinking.

Yes and no progress for our club is to stay in the top division but when you see the movement and passing of some other similar clubs compared to us then no. Archie has a tough job but what exactly does Patterson do to help. Maybe a better option as assistant might help next season.

You're assuming that Archibald will still be there next season.

Sadly I am beginning to find the NS a depressing place to watch the game, could be a move back to JHS next season. Had a stupid group of about 15 kids in front of us yesterday probably ranging from 12-16, constantly swearing in their high pitch voices, throwing pies at ICT players warming up, their feet over the seats in front of them and battering them so hard was surprised a few weren't broken. Stewards saw but did feck all. Watching the game was bad enough yesterday without these wee twats making it 10 times worse! Regarding this season, we are ending it as bad as we started it and that could spell trouble! We have definitely gone backwards this season and for me anyway, the failure to tie up Lyle Taylor has played a big part in that. If we had had Taylor for the whole season I reckon we would have easily been in the top 6

Edited by Lindau

Any team that takes only 3 points out of the first 27 - scoring only 3 goals in the process - and comes within a whisker of the top 6 deserves some credit - especially one with limited cash and player resources. That doesn't of course explain or excuse yesterday's (or last week's) defeats.

A team that patently cannot score goals has to rely on tight defending and in the main that has been the case. 9 wins and 10 defeats this season have been by a 1-goal margin but when the defence leaks like a sieve there is only one outcome likely on the day.

45 goals in 35 matches (4th best= goals conceded) is creditable. We've only conceded 5 more than the team that will finish 2nd. 34 goals scored in 35 is the lowest goals scored= with the team that's almost certain to be relegated.

Doesn't take long to work out where the problem lies. A succession of dud, last minute transfer window signings over the last few seasons must demoralise young players trying to make a breakthrough.

We can all dream but when clubs with similar or even lower average attendances can out-bid us/tempt away our players, then struggling at the bottom half of the league is likely to be all we can reasonably expect. I don't blame players in any way for wanting to better themselves. The taunting of Fox at Dingwall a few weeks ago was embarrassing - and, incidentally, seems to have no effect on him whatsoever.

Can't see us ever breaking through the "grass ceiling" unless the board is prepared to go that extra mile and invest in better forwards and attacking mid-fielders that will get up in support. Saying that the club will always be prudent is laudable but it has its inevitable consequences.

Any team that takes only 3 points out of the first 27 - scoring only 3 goals in the process - and comes within a whisker of the top 6 deserves some credit - especially one with limited cash and player resources. That doesn't of course explain or excuse yesterday's (or last week's) defeats.

A team that patently cannot score goals has to rely on tight defending and in the main that has been the case. 9 wins and 10 defeats this season have been by a 1-goal margin but when the defence leaks like a sieve there is only one outcome likely on the day.

45 goals in 35 matches (4th best= goals conceded) is creditable. We've only conceded 5 more than the team that will finish 2nd. 34 goals scored in 35 is the lowest goals scored= with the team that's almost certain to be relegated.

Doesn't take long to work out where the problem lies. A succession of dud, last minute transfer window signings over the last few seasons must demoralise young players trying to make a breakthrough.

We can all dream but when clubs with similar or even lower average attendances can out-bid us/tempt away our players, then struggling at the bottom half of the league is likely to be all we can reasonably expect. I don't blame players in any way for wanting to better themselves. The taunting of Fox at Dingwall a few weeks ago was embarrassing - and, incidentally, seems to have no effect on him whatsoever.

Can't see us ever breaking through the "grass ceiling" unless the board is prepared to go that extra mile and invest in better forwards and attacking mid-fielders that will get up in support. Saying that the club will always be prudent is laudable but it has its inevitable consequences.

I completely agree with you. Often the excuse is offered up that we are the team with the lowest transfer budget etc. in the league. But conversely, that means we need a manager and backroom staff that don't squander what little money we do have on the likes of Nathan Eccleston or Pogba. I'm not saying it is easy to acquire players at Partick Thistle, but I hand on my heart believe that Steven Craig would offer more than Pogba or Eccleston ever did.

Progress? You're having a laugh. No way has there been any progress this season.

Are we going to finish the season in a higher league position than last year? No

Have any young players broken through to the first team? No

Have we had free flowing entertaining attacking football? No

Have we scored more goals than last season? No

Did we do well in the cups? No

Have the majority of signings worked out? No

Have the crowds gone up? No

If anyone sees that as progress, I'll have a pint of what you're drinking.

Apart from Liam Lindsay. Obviously.

And our signings this year were Edwards, Miller, Dumbuya, Cerny, Pogba, Muirhead, Nesbitt, Amoo, Booth... I don't think I'm missing any. I think only Muirhead didn't really work out, I know others would argue Pogba as well but I think he's been basically fine. Certainly Cerny, Booth, Dumbuya, Amoo and Miller have to be thought of as successes.

Whether or not there's been progress is another matter, but on those points, you're talking shite.

• Like 1

I completely agree with you. Often the excuse is offered up that we are the team with the lowest transfer budget etc. in the league. But conversely, that means we need a manager and backroom staff that don't squander what little money we do have on the likes of Nathan Eccleston or Pogba. I'm not saying it is easy to acquire players at Partick Thistle, but I hand on my heart believe that Steven Craig would offer more than Pogba or Eccleston ever did.

You mean the Steven Craig who's 35, been released by Dumbarton this season and just been relegated to the League 2?

And our signings this year were Edwards, Miller, Dumbuya, Cerny, Pogba, Muirhead, Nesbitt, Amoo, Booth... I don't think I'm missing any. I think only Muirhead didn't really work out, I know others would argue Pogba as well but I think he's been basically fine. Certainly Cerny, Booth, Dumbuya, Amoo and Miller have to be thought of as successes.

Whether or not there's been progress is another matter, but on those points, you're talking shite.

You're the one talking shite mate.

Yes, there have been some signings that worked out - I said that. But the majority haven't.

Pogba - awful. Nesbitt - one decent game, 2 stinkers. Hasn't featured. Not good enough. Amoo - not consistent. Poor final ball usually. Welsh - no comment required. German - didn't get a chance. Edwards - hasn't proved himself. Anonymous in most games.

Okay, Lindsay is the one young player who has broken through. I'll stand corrected on that point. But only one player. And he's not exactly sparkled has he?

You appear to be happy with how the season has gone. Fair enough. But some of us have our eyes wide open and aren't deluded.

muirhead played far less games than Pogba is far younger yet scored the same number of goals. I'd rather have Muirhead play than Pogba who i ever there was a case of someone living off the brilliance and reputation of their brother then he is it
  • Like 1

and Hendry I'm sure would have.

Nisbet, who has just turned 19, is on the fringes of the squad. He's also very much the senior player in a development squad of youngsters who I imagine average about 17 years of age. Are they too young to be even considered for the 1st team squad? Yes. How can that possibly be considered a criticism of our manager? God only knows.

You're the one talking shite mate.

Yes, there have been some signings that worked out - I said that. But the majority haven't.

Pogba - awful. Nesbitt - one decent game, 2 stinkers. Hasn't featured. Not good enough. Amoo - not consistent. Poor final ball usually. Welsh - no comment required. German - didn't get a chance. Edwards - hasn't proved himself. Anonymous in most games.

Okay, Lindsay is the one young player who has broken through. I'll stand corrected on that point. But only one player. And he's not exactly sparkled has he?

You appear to be happy with how the season has gone. Fair enough. But some of us have our eyes wide open and aren't deluded.

Welsh isn't a new signing. German I forgot about, admittedly he was a pointless signing but still. How you can say Amoo is a bad signing is beyond me, he's scored a fair amount of goals, and while he's inconsistent he's been fine. I thought Edwards has been good when I've seen him, he looks a good prospect for next season. And I like Pogba, but I understand the "strikers should be only judged on goals" mob won't, but oh well.

As long as we stay up, I'll be relatively happy with any season we have.

I couldn't make the game yesterday but did wonder if the combination of players who have already been given contracts for next season(Amoo, Pogba,Edwards, Welsh), those who maybe have decided to move elsewhere(Osman & Lawless) and those who may not have been offered contracts (Seabourne, Frans) contributed to what sounds like a performance lacking in commitment.

My view is that in the two previous seasons, we played better football and looked a better side than several of the other teams in the Division but couldn't hold on to leads in games we deserved to win...we were 5 minutes away from finishing seventh in the first season and were eighth last season which were fair reflections of our ability. This season we have won more games though we got lucky more than once - fluke goals to beat Inverness & Ross County, a deflected late winner against Motherwell and Cerny saving us in the first half against Dundee United. I can't think of many games when I left Firhill thinking we had played really well or were markedly superior to the opposition. We did very well to recover from the desperate start but outwith the top three, there is not much between the other nine sides.

Elliot & Fraser have been injured but contributed little in their occasional appearances, Lindsay has had some disappointingly inept performances, Amoo has shown fleeting glimpses but has been underwhelming, Welsh has been caught in possession far too often, Edwards had his contract extended without doing much and Pogba is just a shite Armand One.

The lack of goals scored speaks for itself...it has not been a memorable season. The team which won promotion were much more exciting to watch...and I think they were better than the current side.

It's not been a typical premier since we arrived. No rangers and hibs and hearts relegated. DU have gone from 4th to relegation bait and Motherwell have gone from finishing 2nd to play-off battlers and back to decent contenders in the 3 seasons we've been up.

The level of competition we have faced, based on a general consideration of the stature, reputation, followings and potential spending power of those around us, has arguably risen and will arguably rise again next year.

Since the reformation of the leagues in the mid 70s which saw the formation of a smaller top division for the elite of the Scottish game, designed to make more games matter, intensify competition and avoid mid-table end of season routine, we have only ever managed 6 consecutive seasons at this level, at our first attempt.

After ten years of trying we returned for another four. Relegated, we had a 7 year gap before returning again only to manage two seasons mixing it with the best in the land before being relegated, languishing some 8 points adrift at the very bottom of the table after winning only 6 games and collecting only 26 points.

Currently we in our 3rd year in the top flight with a very good chance of making a 4th.

While I doubt anyone with an interest and affection for Thistle is content with that. Improvement and the endeavour of achieving it is not always as enjoyable or as easy as would make it attractive to everyone.

However, Yes ... we are progressing.

• Like 2

As has been stated above - perhaps the points total this year is a more accurate reflection of what our play actually deserved - in the past two seasons we have haemorrhaged late goals like they were going out of fashion - this season that hasn't been such a problem - although this might indicate that we have regressed this season because in past seasons we deserved better results - if you see what I mean.

If we'd got a result at Ross county, the progress and achievement of the team would be so much easier to define. We lost out on the early safety of a top 6 place by a couple of goals.

Season 1 - we were off the pace, sitting in the play off spot at the split.

Season 2 - we left it all too late, despite a very decent run from february, we could only raise our league placing from 9th to 8th. We hit the split after a win at the Well which put us 5 points behind 7th place Hamilton.

Season 3 - We were a baw hair away, closer than ever before from tangibly establishing ourselves as a progressing top flight club.

Saturday's result was an abomination. No argument from me there. The season is not over and any more performances like that could throw away and ruin another good season of, granted slow and minimal but, very difficult and hard won progress.

• Like 1