Cup Success

Vaila Street

I too would trade a Scottish Cup win for league status. I felt a similar same way when we were in the 2nd tier where I'd have been happy with a Scottish Cup win over promotion.

btw admittedly it's a hypothetical question but given we regularly finish the season with a threadbare squad not a completely unlikely scenario.

I think I would take a cup win combined with narrowly not gaining promotion, as has happened with Hibs. Sunshine over Maryhill. You can look back on a reasonably successful though ultimately disappointing league campaign with the expectation of going one better next season. That is quite different from a cup win combined with a relegation which sets us on a downward slide with no certainty as to how far down the slope we will go before we can hammer in the piton to stop us falling further.

• Like 1

Cup win, and it's not a difficult choice.

There will always be the chance to gain promotion again - an even better chance now than there was when we achieved it, thanks to the current playoff system being introduced.

Staying in the league would probably be better for the club in a financial sense, but from a fan's perspective, winning that final at Hampden, drinking nonsensical amounts of alcohol and starting the next season somewhere in Europe seems like a much better alternative to just staying up.

Cup win every time, on the basis that it is relegation and not some Gretna-esque demise. Also, would prefer the Scottish Cup if we have to go down too.

I must admit that I am a bit surprised at the number opting for staying up. When did we all get so sensible? ;-)

I have seen the horrific aftermath of all our top flight relegations and I don't underestimate the potential for more pain. However, relegation is INEVITABLE and I say that as someone who believes the team has made great strides over the last few years. Right now, our lot is to be in almost everyone's bottom 3 prediction (and then prove them wrong). We could graduate to being a "safe" SPL team but with such a tight league we would always be one bad run away from disaster.

Now look at the up side of a cup win. No one under 50 is likely to have been at our last one and TV footage is limited. However, the result is still venerated by Thistle fans of all ages the world over. It is even part of the club's phone number (when surely 1876 was a more logical choice). Staying up in 93/94 after being bottom at Christmas was great to witness but no one is planing a 25 year anniversary celebration are they?

Now, if the offer was a choice between getting to the Scottish Cup or Relegation, that would be a more interesting dilemma

• Like 3

Would take a cup win but happy to wait until 2021 - there is just something poetic there!

Staying in the top league (refuse to call it by the ridiculous title) til' then and hopefully beyond would be significant achievement in its self.

ps mgow - hope you have the 1971 DVD produced a few years - if not its got a bit more footage than generally seen on TV, try and track it down. Always worth a viewing occasionally.. Remember 1971 was arguably the Club's finest hour, even if I can't claim to have be there, hence being part of the phone number.

Edited by Peaty FC

Would take a cup win but happy to wait until 2021 - there is just something poetic there!

Staying in the top league (refuse to call it by the ridiculous title) til' then and hopefully beyond would be significant achievement in its self.

ps mgow - hope you have the 1971 DVD produced a few years - if not its got a bit more footage than generally seen on TV, try and track it down. Always worth a viewing occasionally.. Remember 1971 was arguably the Club's finest hour, even if I can't claim to have be there, hence being part of the phone number.

I am greedy, I want a cup win sooner than 2021 and stuff the poetry! ;-)

I do indeed have the DVD. As outstanding as both the win and the manner of the win were, I think the 1921 Scottish Cup was more important. Certainly in the present day the League Cup has been allowed to be devalued and the Scottish Cup is the premier tournament. [pun intended]

If we can do the double one year then we can discuss relative merits.

Cup win every time, on the basis that it is relegation and not some Gretna-esque demise. Also, would prefer the Scottish Cup if we have to go down too.

I must admit that I am a bit surprised at the number opting for staying up. When did we all get so sensible? ;-)

I have seen the horrific aftermath of all our top flight relegations and I don't underestimate the potential for more pain. However, relegation is INEVITABLE and I say that as someone who believes the team has made great strides over the last few years. Right now, our lot is to be in almost everyone's bottom 3 prediction (and then prove them wrong). We could graduate to being a "safe" SPL team but with such a tight league we would always be one bad run away from disaster.

Now look at the up side of a cup win. No one under 50 is likely to have been at our last one and TV footage is limited. However, the result is still venerated by Thistle fans of all ages the world over. It is even part of the club's phone number (when surely 1876 was a more logical choice). Staying up in 93/94 after being bottom at Christmas was great to witness but no one is planing a 25 year anniversary celebration are they?

Now, if the offer was a choice between getting to the Scottish Cup or Relegation, that would be a more interesting dilemma

^^ Cap doffed - great post.

We have 1 Scottish Cup win in 140 years of history. We have survived possibly around 30 of those years outside the top flight. I think for me it would be the best thing ever to see a Jags Scottish Cup win, and a League Cup win would be a great second choice. I was virtually in tears when we lost the Ramsdens final!!! We would overcome any relegation and still survive.

• Like 1